Religion and hormonal activity – sensitive matter (that is no longer about running at all)

Welcome! Forums Non-Running Forum Religion and hormonal activity – sensitive matter (that is no longer about running at all)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  runnerinwilmnc 9 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Replacing one impulse with something like running isn't fixing the problem at hand, it is like you are putting a band-aid over an infected wound, it won't heal you are just covering it so you don't have to see what is going on underneath.

Any exercise releases endorphins which are the body's own feel good hormones so yes, exercise and run if  you want. 
    Your questions on sexuality and religion are part of this life.  Everyone is faced with the same questions growing up – you choose to follow what people expect of you or you choose to follow your own path.  Running will not make these issues any less daunting, personally running is meditative for me and so I think the most when I am on the road – this is quality time with yourself!

The best is to look at these issues and if it means forging a path for yourself in this world – independently from the religious and sexual beliefs of your family – then so be it, but to use running as the band-aid of this clearly open wound I'd say you are just fooling yourself…

Good luck, I hope you find the answers you need.

Well, some of that can sound nice. I've tried to forge my own path, and maybe I've found some people (albeit online) who support me to “live my own life”. In some ways, I'm so different than I was a year ago and I'm even pretty different than I was three months ago, when, if I'm not mistaken, I was  for the most part confessing “sins” to a priest every week or so, not only just attending Mass but participating as an Altar server and having more faith in what was being professed, and praying a lot more. I still have been praying, but my faith is not the same, not only as regards the Catholic faith but maybe even basic Christian beliefs. I can have times where I try to have my own path and life but then recoil somewhat. Just these past couple of days I've been trying to live my own life, but I can be depressed with a like a guilty feeling, even when I first wake up. Then, even as I can be inclined to try to convince myself that I don't have to feel guilty, that other people have agreed that it's ok for me to live my life this way, I can have the thought, “But if what if the Church or some other religion is right and I'm going to hell for these things” and that can bring with it a feeling that really stings.

So, while I have been trying to break free somewhat of former religious constraints if that is the way to put it, I can still feel tied up by fear of human and divine judgment and by guilt and feeling bad about what I'm doing.  🙁

And in case anyone would like to ask me if I'm happier submitting to the religious and moral beliefs of others or if I'm happier forging my own path, well, maybe I've had more deathly depressive thoughts with the former, but with the latter the fear of hell can be stronger, and that can be pretty depressing too.

sueruns

And in case anyone would like to ask me if I'm happier submitting to the religious and moral beliefs of others or if I'm happier forging my own path, well, maybe I've had more deathly depressive thoughts with the former, but with the latter the fear of hell can be stronger, and that can be pretty depressing too.

your posts bring back alot of thoughts.  I come from a huge Catholic family, I followed the rules like you, I knew my siblings gave in to urges, guess who had to overcome sexual hangups.  Just a thought, when the “rules” were made people your age were engaging in sexual activity because they married much earlier.  You aren't going to hell for giving into an urge that is natural, the person that put that into your head ought to.  You don't need to change your faith, maybe change your clergy.

your posts bring back alot of thoughts.  I come from a huge Catholic family, I followed the rules like you, I knew my siblings gave in to urges, guess who had to overcome sexual hangups.   Just a thought, when the “rules” were made people your age were engaging in sexual activity because they married much earlier.   You aren't going to hell for giving into an urge that is natural, the person that put that into your head ought to.   You don't need to change your faith, maybe change your clergy.

Well, even if I decided to “forget the Church,” there are things I have done and/or want to do that go against the teaching of the Bible, which for me is a very harsh book. Being a Christian is harsh for me. (And other religions can seem harsh to me also.) But, sometimes I can feel that I'm required to be one or else I can burn in hell.  🙁  I don't know that I can say that I ever “loved” being Catholic or Christian, but maybe when I was a very young child it wasn't all so crushing and negative for me. If I ever come back fully, I would so much like that it could be positive and that its rules wouldn't cause me to feel burdened in spirit. If anyone is going to tell me that it's my fault that I feel burdened and that I have to learn to accept and abide by these rules cheerfully and without sorrow, please don't tell me that. It just might add more pain. Thank you.

ed
    Participant

I think a common Catholic teaching is constantly blocking up your thoughts.  Catholics teach that you must obey and do good works to go to heaven. 

That was not the meesage of the Savior.  If God expected us to be perfect he would not have sent his Son to die in our stead, to take on our punishment.

Ephesians 2:8 – By grace are ye saved through faith, it is the gift of God, not of workslest any man should boast.

All you need to do to be saved is believe that Jesus paid the price for our sins and you must be truly penitent (sorry) for those sins.  Your guilt is true penitence for your actions.

We are born sinful and cannot help that – we do the best we can because of our love for God and the sacrifice of his Son. 

Ryan
    Keymaster

I think a common Catholic teaching is constantly blocking up your thoughts.  Catholics teach that you must obey and do good works to go to heaven. 

That was not the meesage of the Savior.  If God expected us to be perfect he would not have sent his Son to die in our stead, to take on our punishment.

Agreed. As someone who was raised Catholic, this is an issue I have with the Catholic Church. I've been trying to figure out a way to say that without sounding too critical but your statement pretty much sums up what I wanted to point out.

If only those who avoided all sin went to heaven, it would be a very lonely place.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.