RnR AZ 26.2

Welcome! Forums Running Forum RnR AZ 26.2

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  cameron 13 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

cameron

Ever run a marathon just for kicks? I was in Scottsdale, AZ on business since Wednesday and decided to jump in the Rock-n-Roll Marathon on Sunday.

I finished in 3:44…first half in 1:44 and 2nd half in 2:00. It got hot in the 2nd half…finish was upper 60’s to low 70’s. Start was low 50’s. Blue sky amd sun. During the last 10K I was pondering the intelligence of running up and down Camelback Mountain (plus the 6M round trip to & from the hotel) on the preceding wednesday afternoon. This was marathon number 14 for me.

Overall: 953/7365

Age Group: 130/543

Pace: 8:33

Clock Time: 3:44:13

Chip Time: 3:44:02

10K: 49:31

1/2M: 1:44:32

20M: 2:43:37

Had a big burger and a vodka a few hours after the race. Hit the hot tub that evening with some wine.

I played 18 at Painted Mountain golf course on Monday morning and shot a 99. (Par 70 – easy course). 😀

r-at-work

I am SO jealous… I want to have “fun” like that… 😉

the closest was last March (had pulled me back) did the second half of a marathon relay where my partner (met through the race site BB) put me in front of the 3:15 pace group… as slow as I am, it was a great experiance to run with you really fast people… everyone was so supportive as they passed… came in 3:46 and would have bought the picture except the sun was on the clock (keeping me honest)

the only question I have is “did you like the course?”

-Rita

cameron
    r-at-work wrote:
    did you like the course?

yawp…it was fun. 26 bands…all kinds of music. cheerleaders from the local middle and high schools. lots of spectators…especially for the team in training and other charity folks. the first half trended uphill gradually while the second half was mostly downhill. you can prominently see Camelback Mtn in the middle miles of the marathon and finishing at ASU was nice.

i’d highly recommend it as a winter marathon. very well organized.

(i think some of my co-workers were a bit dumbfounded at my idea of “fun”) 😆

Peter

Even though in a different post elsewhere today I said I’d never run a marathon unless I was ready to run it at or near my goal. That you had the opportunity to do it is great, and I for one am rather jealous. Even more so that you are able to be in Scottdale on business in January!!

What are your running plans for the rest of the year? Just curious, as you and I are pretty comparable.

Peter

cameron

I’d never run a marathon unless I was ready to run it at or near my goal.

I agree with you…I don’t like to do things half @ssed either. I figured this event is a bit different in that it was more focused on fun and entertainment than just being all about performance. It was a refreshing change of pace and still felt like a worthwhile effort in the end.

At the moment, I’m a bit undecided on the year. I’ve got a BQ and could make #15 at BOSTON in April…but may decide to save the $ and stay close to home to run Trailbreaker 26.2 (April) and/or Ice Age 50M (May) and/or the Kettle 100K (June).

What are your plans?

Peter

What are your plans?

Nothing as dramatic as you, just yet. Build the base slowly, and look to run Crazylegs w/ Team Hillrunner, and then perhaps Sytennde Mai or Mad City 1/2 Marathon. Then some summer 10K’s and put together a program for a fall attempt at a BQ, PR and dare I say, sub 3 at either Chicago or Lakefront.

The program will most likely be a bulked up Hanson’s program. The advanced program served me rather well for Lakefront 2003, but since I sorta ran out of gas after 20, and the program’s long run tops out at 16… well, you do the math 🙄

That is unless that mad scientist Pski convinces me to be this year’s model and I become guinea pig for his program. (note to Paul – I’m available) Right now I’ll be satisfied with 40 mpw for January, and getting out 5-6 days a week. Have done it for 3+ weeks now, can’t let down now…

Keep up the good work Jerry.

Zeke
    Peter wrote:
    The program will most likely be a bulked up Hanson’s program. The advanced program served me rather well for Lakefront 2003, but since I sorta ran out of gas after 20, and the program’s long run tops out at 16… well, you do the math 🙄

What is the Hanson’s program? Are you talking about Team Hanson from Michigan? If so I highly doubt their athletes followed the same program, not if it topped out at 16 miles.

If you ran out of gas at 20, I don’t see how you can say the program served you well. To me, that’s a huge letdown. As they say “the race doesn’t start until 20.”

Anonymous

What is the Hanson’s program? Are you talking about Team Hanson from Michigan? If so I highly doubt their athletes followed the same program, not if it topped out at 16 miles.

If you ran out of gas at 20, I don’t see how you can say the program served you well. To me, that’s a huge letdown. As they say “the race doesn’t start until 20.”

Hanson’s Running Store in SW Michigan put together a marathon training progam ala Higdon for the recreational runner. The advanced portion is somewhat comparable to Pfitzinger’s 55 mpw – 18 week program, with several noticeable differences:

1. Emphasis on speedwork (3 miles of repeats at 5K pace) in the 1st 8 weeks, and tempo workouts (6 miles of intervals at 1/2 marathon pace)the next 8-9 weeks.

2. A long run schedule that tops out at 16 miles, with the emphasis on 8 miles the day before and 8 miles the day after, rather than a day off before or after a long run.

3. A shortened taper period of 10 days vs. 2 or 3 weeks.

4. A six runs per week schedule with no doubles, and a mid-week off day between the speed/strength and marathon pace workouts.

This definitely is not the program that the Ryan Shays and Clint Verrans were doing, b/c the mileage topped out at 55-60 mpw.

I do believe that the program did serve me well, because even though it was my 1st marathon, I knew I was not a novice runner and could handle an advanced program. My slowdown after 20 miles (7:40 pace for last 10K vs. 6:58 pace before) told me that I will need more long runs to prevent that kind of slowdown from recurring the next time. The Hansons program called for three 16 milers and two 14 milers. I did one 17, one 16 and two 14s. I am still not sold on running 22-24 miles 3 or 4 times prior to a marathon. For me, 17-19 is probably more appropriate, which is why I said I’d most likely beef up the program next time.

But it is all trial and error, to figure out what works best for each individual.

-Peter

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.