Running books

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Running books

This topic contains 16 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Mark5000 13 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Mark5000

Christmas is approaching, and I’m hoping a good running book or 2 end up in my stocking. I thought it’d be a good time for us to share our favorite running books and seek opinions on books we don’t already own.

My favorite, by far, is Train Hard, Win Easy: The Kenyan Way by Toby Tanser. Tanser remains fairly objective, letting the coaches and athletes do alot of the talking. It’s always blown my mind just how hard the Kenyans train, and this book gives all the details… the foundation training at the Armed Forces Camp, the legendary National Training Camp for the World Cross Country Championships, and the track training leading into the summer season. After reading this book, I realized that it would actually be surprising if the Kenyans weren’t dominating so convincingly in the 90s. The athlete profiles are especially fascinating… 9 pages devoted to Paul Tergat alone and 4.5 pages for John Ngugi. Tergat, in particular, is a bottomless pit of running wisdom, and Ngugi comes off as just plain crazy at times. I feel like any runner could learn a great deal about training from this book, but it really stands out as a motivational tool. Having read this book prolly like 1000 times (and I NEVER exaggerate 🙂 ), I almost feel like I’m right there training with these guys when I read a passage. I’ll finish with one of my favorite anecdotes from the book:

“One of the most famous names in Kenyan athletics is that of John Ngugi. When he first started, he was advised to go home and not waste his time training to become an athlete. Army coach Kiplimo explains. ‘When he walked his feet stuck out, and his style looked even worse when he ran. They sent him away from the training camp. Ngugi just trained harder. He returned and showed them he could run. The rest is history.’

Ngugi’s lope captured an extraordinary string of five World Cross Country Championship titles, an Olympic gold medal, and a Commonwealth Games silver.”

I would love for someone to suggest a good Lydiard book. There seem to be several options out there, some harder to find than others. I’ve read the online Lydiard clinic a few times, and am ready for more.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Any Lydiard book is worth the cost to anyone who is serious about competition.

Train Hard, Win Easy is a very good book. Also, Running With The Buffaloes is another good one, along with Running With The Legends. As for training books, all the usuals are good but I would suggest looking into a Lydiard book above them.

Fictional classics would include the usual suspects like Once a Runner and Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner. For something not as well known, I’d throw in Flanagan’s Run. It may be hard to find but it’s a great book.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Any Lydiard book is worth the cost to anyone who is serious about competition.

Train Hard, Win Easy is a very good book. Also, Running With The Buffaloes is another good one, along with Running With The Legends. As for training books, all the usuals are good but I would suggest looking into a Lydiard book above them.

Fictional classics would include the usual suspects like Once a Runner and Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner. For something not as well known, I’d throw in Flanagan’s Run. It may be hard to find but it’s a great book.

Run

Anyone read that book about the breaking of the 4 minute mile? I think it was called the Perfect Mile, I was thinking about asking Santa to pick that one up for me, any recommendations/comments?

Run

Anyone read that book about the breaking of the 4 minute mile? I think it was called the Perfect Mile, I was thinking about asking Santa to pick that one up for me, any recommendations/comments?

Bart
    Run wrote:
    Anyone read that book about the breaking of the 4 minute mile? I think it was called the Perfect Mile

I read it, and I really enjoyed it. It’s obviously not going to give you any training advice, but it’s a good read. It can really motivate you when you have those days when it’s hard to get out the door. I was especially impressed with the training John Landy did after the Olympics. It says a lot for Bannister that he was able to beat him at the Commonwealth Games.

Plus I was able to get the book from my local library, so it didn’t cost me anything.

Bart
    Run wrote:
    Anyone read that book about the breaking of the 4 minute mile? I think it was called the Perfect Mile

I read it, and I really enjoyed it. It’s obviously not going to give you any training advice, but it’s a good read. It can really motivate you when you have those days when it’s hard to get out the door. I was especially impressed with the training John Landy did after the Olympics. It says a lot for Bannister that he was able to beat him at the Commonwealth Games.

Plus I was able to get the book from my local library, so it didn’t cost me anything.

Mark5000

Hmm, I’ll try again with the Lydiard book. I’ve heard it mentioned that some are a bit dumbed down for the masses, while others are pure Lydiard. I’ll just be getting one as a starter, and trust your opinions far more than anyone I know outside the internet… and definitely more than the amazon.com reviewers, hehe. No favorite?

Mark5000

Hmm, I’ll try again with the Lydiard book. I’ve heard it mentioned that some are a bit dumbed down for the masses, while others are pure Lydiard. I’ll just be getting one as a starter, and trust your opinions far more than anyone I know outside the internet… and definitely more than the amazon.com reviewers, hehe. No favorite?

GTF

You can get the information online at no monetary cost.

GTF

You can get the information online at no monetary cost.

Mark5000

GTF: As I have already pointed out, I have read the online Lydirard clinic a few times, but would also like to have a book. Reasonable?

Mark5000

GTF: As I have already pointed out, I have read the online Lydirard clinic a few times, but would also like to have a book. Reasonable?

GTF

I seem to have missed that. If that is the case, I cannot tell what exactly it is that you seek.

GTF

I seem to have missed that. If that is the case, I cannot tell what exactly it is that you seek.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Honestly, I’d say find one that you can get your hands on. It can be very hard to find some of his books so I’d hate to say this is his absolute best book (which I couldn’t name one like that) and it’s one that you simply can’t find anywhere.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Honestly, I’d say find one that you can get your hands on. It can be very hard to find some of his books so I’d hate to say this is his absolute best book (which I couldn’t name one like that) and it’s one that you simply can’t find anywhere.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.