running goals for 2010

Welcome! Forums Running Forum running goals for 2010

This topic contains 19 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew A. 8 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

cesar
    Participant

hey everyone,

what are your running  goals for 2010?

Andrew A.

You go first.  8)

Double

Work on staying healthy.  Create a light stretching/strength routine (10 – 15 minutes) that I would stick to.  Try and hit a stretch of 2-3 months were I hit 70 – 80 a week.  Complete a hundred miler somewhere.  Would love to do Leadville, but not sure spousal approval could be easily met.  Run cross in the fall?

cesar
    Participant

jaja ok,

get back to my racing times, this 2009  was bad in terms of good times in races, lose some pounds,improve racing times, run more races, strength train, stay healthy.

Roger

Being in my late 60ths I am going to see if I can help as a pacer for the Burning river 100 in August.

Andrew A.

Pretty much the same as they have been for the past several years for me.  I will still be mindful of the same keys to improvement, starting with consistency. 

Ryan
    Keymaster

1) More consistency in my training than I had in 2009.
    2) Turn 1 into better race results.
    3) Try something different, both in training and racing. I have an idea of what that might be in the training realm. I'm still thinking about racing. I just feel the urge to try something that I either haven't done before, have only done a few times, or haven't done recently. Just something to break the routine of the same old cookie cutter road races.

cesar
    Participant

Ryan,

according to your step no.3  what kind of things would you like to do differently in racing?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Honestly, I'm not totally sure yet. I have some ideas, from attempting another ultra (only tried once) at one end of the spectrum to getting back on the track (haven't seriously raced on the track since the spring of 2000) at the other end of the spectrum.

As I stated, I just feel like I have to do something to break the monotony of cookie cutter road races. Whether it's running a few relays, going through a cross-country or trail racing season (as opposed to the occasional race here and there), doing an ultra, going through a track season, or something else I'm not sure at this point. Maybe I'll even try to become a miler and see how far under 5:00 (if at all) I can get myself now.

cesar
    Participant

why dont you try a marathon and beat that 2:40:03 :D?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Actually, it's 2:40:05 and believe me, I think about that time a lot. However, at this point in my life, I'm not ready to commit to the huge time and energy investment I believe it would take to go after a sub-2:40. If I felt like I could get there with the time and energy I'm willing to invest, I won't hesitate. However, as of now, a marathon attempt would probably be for a mid-2:40s and, while I've thought about the marathon for the past couple of years, doing what I've already done on a miserable day and what I've already bettered with bad race day execution doesn't seem worth the effort it would take.

Double

Then you wake up one day and your 48.  Maybe in the fall of 2011 when I am 50 I will spark it up one last time for a fast marathon.  Never realized that getting older for me meant having to deal with set backs about 2-3 times a year. 

I have been tempted to join Gold's Gym which opened 0.3 miles from the house.  As silly as it sounds I am afraid I would become a Gym rat and get soft about going outside.  My other concern is I would get back to running and with continuing the gym work would be working out about 12 times a week.  I am going to start walking/jogging for an hour every other day in hopes I can heal, get used to the time continuum, and maintain the toughness one needs to train all winter outside.  Plus the dog drives you crazy if she does not get in a workout.

Anne

Or you wake up & you're 49 & you've just completed your best year as a runner to date. I will ride the wave of 2009 into the new year & hopefully continue to improve my times.
    I spent the last year focusing on half marathons, I'll continue to see what I can do at that distance.
    Run some new races in the state.
    Stick to a core workout.
    Maybe a fall marathon. 

Double

Anne…that is encouraging to hear.  What all does a core workour entail?

Anne

A perk of starting this sport later in life, I appreciate it all the more because I am older.
    My fastest times this year have been when I've stuck to a core routine during training. I've been slacking & need to make it a priority again.
    One of our local runners ran us through a drill designed for runners. It included planks, bridges, sit ups, pilates, strength & balance excercises, stretching. The equipment is simple enough, a stability ball, a medicine ball, free weights & a resistance band.
    I also started playing tennis again this spring & that activiity has helped my core strength.

I've run across internet clips about workouts, maybe someone here knows of one & can pass it along.

Andrew A.

Something like this?
    [html]

Running Times: Part 1 from CoachJayJohnson on Vimeo.

General Strength exercises for runners. Part one includes the Pedestal Routine and the Myrtl routine. These two routines should be done following your running workout.

[/html]

Double

Thanks Braaaaaah.

r-at-work

… lose some pounds,improve racing times, … strength train, stay healthy.

one day you wake up and you're 55… the pounds are way more difficult to get rid of…life is way more complicated when I had hoped it would get more simple…

what keeps me sane is also the direction of my running and 2010 will be an extension of 2009… I'm slowly working towards a marathon in each state… and by slowly I mean both not that many per year and each done slow enough that I can get right back to running easy as soon as possible. I have found that traveling to run is fun, a marathon a good reason to meet some really great people and see new places.

sueruns

running goal: run my best 10k on 3-4 hours a week of running :D…….yeah, I know. ::)

Andrew A.

RW should have a training plan or ten for that!  😉

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.