running time

Welcome! Forums Running Forum running time

This topic contains 14 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  cesar 10 years ago.

• Author

cesar
    Participant

hey everyone,

how long you want to keep on running?
    have you ever regretted to start  running?

Ryan
    Keymaster

how long you want to keep on running?

Until I'm no longer breathing.

have you ever regretted to start  running?

Never.

dan

I ll keep running as long as I am able to put a foot in front of the other. If I ever regretted? well, when I do bad in races I feel very bad, but the next day i am running as if nothing had happened, running makes me feel alive and makes me feel free and has taught me to see life on a different manner, to put goals and fight to reach them, well, if I hadnt started running my life would be completely different.

msubobcats

Cannot really add much to this. Only thing would be that this is my “Quite Time”. I just love running…..

Ryan
    Keymaster

…if I hadnt started running my life would be completely different.

I think most of us can say that and most of us would say our lives would be completely different in a less positive way.

cesar
    Participant

when you have bad races, do you curse running??

Ryan
    Keymaster

Again, never. When I have a bad race, I may curse the race or aspects of my training or other things, possibly not even related to running, that led to the bad race but never running itself. In fact, I usually find solace after a bad race in running.

I had one of the worst races in my life last year in Chicago. I cursed cameron for convincing me to do it ;), my lack of race specific training, and many other things during the hours out on the course I had to think about it. I never cursed running, though. I never had a negative thought about running as a whole. In fact, the next day, I was out on the trails drowning my sorrows with a relaxing easy run.

cesar
    Participant

how your training have been going in this off season ??

which types of workouts have you been doing?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Personally, my training has been a little shaky but I'd say good overall, all things considered. Workouts have been pretty boring. Because of road and trail conditions, I haven't been doing strides or anything fast for that matter as often as I was hoping to entering the winter. That has left me just running every day and getting whatever distance I can for the day.

ScottP

Hopefully everyone wants to keep running till old age…

The question is how long do you wish to stay competitive among your peers?

Is it worth the wear and tear on the body and the mental effort involved in serious training?

Is it worth compromising your future fitness? (injury, staleness)

Current literature estimates a 10 year period where a runner can reach their peak performance goals…with the odd talented exception.

Ryan
    Keymaster

A 10 year estimated period from when one reaches maximal training until reaching peak performances does seem reasonable, though I think people who start early in life can stretch that to 15-20 years. However, that doesn't mean all competition is over after that time. It just means that time catches up with us and we begin slowing down.

I hope nobody here would sacrifice health for competition but I don't think it has to be an either/or decision. There are many people who remain competitive against their peers for decade after decade, something you can't do while not remaining healthy. Personally, 30-40 years from now, I hope to be one of those guys who was finishing near the top of the races overall 40 years ago and is still finishing near the top of, if not winning, his age group now and, in doing so, remaining healthy in part because of his running. Whenever I see one of those guys at a race, I can't help thinking how they are some of the coolest guys at the race.

SBSpartan

Good questions….

I don't know that I have ever cursed running but I have claimed “retirement” from marathons twice that I can remember.  Those we both pretty short lived though.  Actually both announcements came within minutes of finishing.

Running is something I feel like I can do as long as I can walk and I plan on doing it that way.  To be honest it helps me cope with the impending end to playing competitive soccer.  Which if I think about it at age 33 and finally saying I have had enough of the premier division and playing against college and off season professionals happened this year.

So yes, running is outstanding.

10 years to reach peak?  Sounds like I have about 3 to go.  Sweet!

Interesting questions. How long do I want to keep running depends on how long my body will let me. At 61, I truly enjoy getting out there and 5-6 days a week  putting myself to the test. I still run marathons and other races and like to see how I compare to others in my age group. It's great physically and mentally (18-20 mile runs).
    If I'm lucky God will let me continue for 10 or more years. I don't think anyone minds doing something they truly like. We just overcome our setbacks and continue to improve on what we like. Keep running, enjoy life and most of all have some fun. Ski

r-at-work

gee, I'm just 54 ::), and I hope to be running for a lot longer… it's one of the most fun things in my life, I just really enjoy it…

as for the questions:
    … I'm only competitive when the 'fast' ladies don't show up, I can only hope that if I keep running for another 11+ years that fewer of them will keep showing up…

Is it worth the wear and tear on the body and the mental effort involved in serious training?
    … after getting my BQ (Philly '06), doing Boston and then getting injured… I've been working to get back in shape after recovering and trying to learn to “manage” several issues that I've been told might never go away completely… so I'm as serious as I can be right now, but I'd LOVE to get back to the track group I used to work with and get in some SERIOUS training…

… this is the thin line that as an aging runner I now seem to face more frequently than I like… I am trying to build up my miles but some days I just have to listen to my body and take a day off, or cross train… drives me a bit crazy, but it's better than the off-again-on-again stuff I did last year when I kept trying to “push through”…

'staleness'… after the let down of Boston (life goal, injury, family stuff that REALLY stressed me out) I was talking about quitting and my whole family was shocked… told me I just needed to “regroup”, “find a new goal”, “just run for fun”… what can I say, I'm goal oriented… so I decided to do “50 States”… trying to fit marathons in with a kid in HS and not miss his events is a challenge, with no time goal (I know that maked some of you cringe) my goal has become “improve(again) and not hurt myself” as well as not impact my family… but with 43 states left I can't imagine it'll get stale any time soon!!

as I told my hubby “I just really like marathons”… he smiled and said “yeah, you're weird” but he is supportive… this June we're going to Alaska, I'll run a marathon then we'll get on a cruise ship for a week… how could that not be FUN!!! ;D

sueruns

depends on whom my peers are, I guess.  I wish to stay competitive amongst my fellow age groupers for a long, long time, even when I don't log in many miles.  Competitive among women, this is it…after this year I don't even wan to try to stay with women half my age when I'm in the 45+

Yes, I think it has been.  But again, I'm “there”.  I've cut back the mileage significantly this year and I'm going to move on mid-summer,  hopefully on a good note.

hmmmmm.  yes and no.  When I reached 42 the injuries became non-stop.  I'm refocusing and biking and swimming are nonimpact, so I've cut my running in half, but I don't want to waste my fitness that I've worked very hard at over the years.  I'll be bringing in a newness of triathlon without alot of expectations and will be able to incorporate my first love (running) along with doing something I thought I could never do (swimming).  I'll never regret logging in running miles.  I can always look back and say that “I did pretty good for a woman that was told she could never be a long distance runner”  (never just meant 25+ years of plugging away)

Current literature estimates a 10 year period where a runner can reach their peak performance goals…with the odd talented exception.

I've been running since high school.  This year will mark 10 years of marathons and high mileage with essentially only last fall as any amount of time off.  I set my 1/2 marathon PR last year without taper at 43.  The marathon continues to elude me.  I still have run my best 20+ runs as training runs.  If I can prevent overtraining, I probably could PR it at 50.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.