Ryan, are you hitting the trails?

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Ryan, are you hitting the trails?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Anne 11 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Anne

Still thinking about the Sheboygan Showdown on Sunday? 

Should be a good morning for a run through the woods, I've heard good comments about the parks down there.

jtpaten

My belated answer to your earlier question about whether spikes are allowed — I don't know. Helpful, huh? I think they weren't allowed at one previous WORS race, but that was explicitly stated within the race description on the website, http://trailrun.wors.org/. No such prohibition is mentioned about the Sheboygan Showdown on Sunday.

The site says the Sheboygan course will have “the most varied terrain of any WORS Trail Running venue and covers not one but two park trail systems.” The WORS MTB site offers a bit more insight:

“One moment you will be concentrating on a tight singletrack in the midst of pinewoods and suddenly you enter a spectator vantage-point where friendly cheers will pump up your adrenaline and push you forward. This course has a bit of everything: sand, gravel, asphalt, mud, grass, pine needles, roots, and the famous 'Sheboygan Slickrock.' The course is mostly single and double track. There is one steep downhill and one very steep climb, 'The Equalizer.'”

I'd say the sand, asphalt and roots would be good reasons to leave the spikes at home. Even flats might be risky. Trail shoes or trainers would probably work best.

Hope to see you there.

Anne

Spikes wouldn't offer much protection or support. After the Calumet run I talked with a former x-country runner & she said she thought about wearing her spikes because of the mud but felt it would be too dangerous with the roots and rocks.

Sheboygan Slickrock…great.  😛

See you there.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Anne, I'm planning on being there. I actually sent Joel a private message this morning that it looks like I'm getting a public response to. Basically, I was asking him what the heck I should be expecting and what kind of shoes I should be packing. Having never run a trail race before, I'm coming in as a complete novice. I asked him about shoes because I've never worn anything but spikes or racing flats for races before and would have trouble bringing myself to wear trainers for a race. I wouldn't want to wear spikes on asphalt or rock unless it's just a few steps crossing a road or trail. I'll probably pack my spikes (just in case) and one or two pairs of flats with the most aggressive tread pattern I can find and have my trainers as a backup plan.

As for the course, I guess I'll get out hard, make sure I keep myself in contention if that's where I think I should be, and hope I can remain on my feet and in contention until the end.

I hope to see the two of you there.

Anne

Great! 

Can't wait to hear what you think about this type of racing afterwards.

jtpaten

Ryan, I responded here on the board before I read your private email. (I don't usually check in with Hillrunner.com before I reading my own email, but today I did.) I responded to your message, or at least tried to. Did you get it?

Ryan
    Keymaster

I see your message now. I'll throw something back your way later.

I also came upon a realization as I was out running today. Somewhere, I should have some old Nike cross-country spikes. Rubber soles with a fairly aggressive tread pattern. If I can find those, they would probably be some good shoes for this type of race. I guess I have a searching job to do this evening.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.