Shamrock Marathon

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Shamrock Marathon

This topic contains 9 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  r-at-work 13 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

r-at-work

the plan was to run with the 4:15 pace group… the coaches wanted me to pick it up between 18 and 20…

so the first five miles I was running VERY easy and just in front of the pace group, I was listening to them talk and watching where I was going so I didn’t crash into anyone… first two water stops were WAY too crowded, I went to the last table both times and still got caught in congestion… chatted from 5-8 with two people I had run with two years ago at Richmond (she trains, he doesn’t so they start together, then?)…

missed a few mile markers between 10 and 15….the half was marked but not mile 13… just after the half I saw a woman from my track group, she was running her first marathon and looked good(finished well too), by this time I was with the pace group, listening to the leader (103 races) talk about how the marathon is such a mind game…

somewhere around mile 16-18 I fell back a bit, could still see the pacers, it was at the water stops, I was having problems drinking so I slowed to get enough in… noticed my mouth was dry and my hands stiff… I few minorly negative thoughts, but I kept telling myself that it would get better with more water…

felt better at 20, at 21 I realized that I had hit my cross-over point from the last time, that is, if I kept with the pace group I was on a PR pace at this point… THAT cheered me up, saw my husband at 22 which was another boost… he was checking the backs of the groups, looking at the time cards on the backs of the pacers… I could see he saw the 4:15, since I could see them, so I yelled to him, that I wasn’t too far behind them… he gave me a quick kiss and told me to go get them…

I worked my way up to them by about 24, passed rather slowly and came in a minute before them(4:15:25)… first time I’ve EVER picked up the pace at the end of a marathon, PB of 8 minutes…

quads are shot, one small blister (left little toe)and my left piriformis twinges once in awhile… but I’m happy as heck with only another nine minutes to get rid of if I want to get to Boston (or repeat this when I’m three years older)… I wanted this race to be one where I could say it was “easy”… but I think what I meant was “within my capabilities” and I think that it really was… one of the things that pulled me along during 18-22 was that some spectator yelled out “stay in the moment” which was what I needed sinnce that was where I was getting negative… could have used more gel at that point but my mouth was dry…

need to have more miles under my belt and practice drinking out of the silly cups… race ready shorts worked like a charm… sorry to drone on like this, still on a high…

-Rita

Zeke

Rita,

It seems like just last week that you ran your last marathon. Congrats on the EIGHT MINUTE PR – that’s awesome!!! Keep chipping away at the BQ. I wouldn’t be surprised if you qualified at your next marathon. Don’t “wait 3 years” for the standards to drop. Just keep getting faster. Carpe diem.

cameron

congrats on the PR!

one thing that pski is famous for is bringing a tv table to the track and setting up paper cups of water then grinding out a long run on the 400m oval. it’s certainly one way of getting used to drinking out of those cups!

Bart

Congrats on the PR! It’s good to see all of your hard work paying off. Reports like yours help me to stay motivated when the training gets to be a grind.

A trick I learned from the Runner’s World Forum to make it easier to drink while on the run is to bring a straw. Just get a straw from a fast food joint, cut it in half and stick both straws in your pocket. It still takes some practice but it’s much easier than drinking from the cup while running.

Bart

Zeke
    Bart wrote:
    A trick I learned from the Runner’s World Forum to make it easier to drink while on the run is to bring a straw. Just get a straw from a fast food joint, cut it in half and stick both straws in your pocket. It still takes some practice but it’s much easier than drinking from the cup while running.

Bart

During one marathon, I tried using some 1/2″ tubbing I bought from a hardware store. I just cut about a 4″ stripe and rigged up a little pocket in my shorts. It worked okay – I probably needed more practice to get it down correctly. But it’s an option. I’d think a regular straw would be too thin and you wouldn’t get enough fluids as quickly as you’d like.

Double

I just stop and drink. Chug is probably the more appropriate term. I tank well.

SwampTiger

Congrats Rita on a great race!! I was wondering how you did over the weekend. An eight minute PR is the payoff for all the training. That’s what I like to hear about….putting in the work and seeing the results.

I just sqeeze the top of the cup nearly closed and drink like it is a water bottle. I don’t get anything up my nose and I can carry it a little longer for a couple extra drinks without it all splashing out.

Run

Nice job Rita, 8 minutes is a nice chunk to lop off! 😀

Ed 1

Way to go Rita – 😯 😀 😀 I have 61 days until my race day (that ends at Lambeau field). I am feeling down right now because I have been so sick lately, the job has out right sucked, and my running not as good I as wish it was. 👿 But, your good news has given me something to think about for myself to get me going again 😀 thanks. Again, congrats, and keep going – do NOT wait three years go and get it now!

Very impressive Rita, congratulations and enjoy your accomplishment.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.