Shoes?

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Shoes?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Catatonia 11 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Catatonia

Hi again everyone.  I've been recovering from a nasty fracture and I am “splinting” out of my mind.  My right (as opposed to the fractured left) is starting up and I don't know what to do.  I don't remember if I've asked this question prior, but now that I know more about my feet than before I will ask.

I am 100% supinator, but very strangely the lower part of my foot (my arch) flattens out when I stand.  Can anyone explain this?

Furthermore, the actual question.  If anyone, and I mean ANYONE can suggest a pair of shoes for me I will be extremely grateful.  I am going to get orthodics in a few days (yay prescription!) but without a proper pair of shoes I will be lost.  Thank you in advance. (Pretty please)

Catatonia

Ryan
    Keymaster

I can't explain it but I had a teammate in college who had incredibly flat feet but couldn't possibly run farther on the outsides of his feet. This is why I don't recommend the “wet foot test” when determining whether to wear cushioned or supportive shoes and suggest the “old shoe test”. Basically, look at a pair of old shoes and determine the wear pattern.

The first thing I'd suggest doing is asking the doctor (presumably a podiatrist) you are getting your orthodics from for shoe suggestions. If that doesn't work, consider going to a good running specialty store and getting their opinion. Bring your orthodics with and try the shoes with the orthodics in. Beyond that, the usual suggestion is that a supinator needs cushioned shoes.

Catatonia

I can't explain it but I had a teammate in college who had incredibly flat feet but couldn't possibly run farther on the outsides of his feet. This is why I don't recommend the “wet foot test” when determining whether to wear cushioned or supportive shoes and suggest the “old shoe test”. Basically, look at a pair of old shoes and determine the wear pattern.

The first thing I'd suggest doing is asking the doctor (presumably a podiatrist) you are getting your orthodics from for shoe suggestions. If that doesn't work, consider going to a good running specialty store and getting their opinion. Bring your orthodics with and try the shoes with the orthodics in. Beyond that, the usual suggestion is that a supinator needs cushioned shoes.

Hey Ryan!  😉 😀 ;D

I did ask the doctor, he said “they are all the same so it doesn't matter” LOL!

Well, I've had cushioned shoes for the most part and I think that I am done with those.  The wear on my shoes from the bottom all the way and especially at the ball of the foor is on the outside.  So, what would you say about motion control/stability?  Do you have an opinion?  Maybe during my runs I pronate, that is why my feet are “flat”.  I feel my feet pronating many times too.  So, what do you say?  I just don't know, I mean, my shoes are “neutral”, but I am not a neutral runner…

sigh..

Catatonia

Ryan
    Keymaster

That's very strange advice to be coming from a doctor.

The reason I'm hesitant to suggest a shoe, along with the fact that I simply can't offer an in person analysis and trial of any shoes, is because I'm getting conflicted feelings here. My natural reaction would be that a heavy supinator would most likely benefit from cushioned shoes but I've also heard that orthodics should be worn with stability shoes so they have a more solid platform to sit on. That's why I would suggest going to a running specialty store with your orthodics. It might be best in this case to get a professional to work directly with you in order to find the best shoe for your needs. Do you have a specialty store with knowledgable salespeople available to you?

r-at-work

very strangely the lower part of my foot (my arch) flattens out when I stand.  Can anyone explain this?

from what my massage therapist has explained to me (she is also a former runner & now professional dancer)… the flattening of the foot/arch has to do with the strength of the foot/arch… everyones feet flatten to some extent… hence Ryan's correct comment that he wouldn't recommend the “wet foot test”… anyway, I've been told that in order to strengthen the arch, I need to do an exercise called “doming”, making a 'dome' of your foot, basicly arching it from a flat position on the floor (like when you are sitting at your desk, barefoot, with your feet flat on the floor… can't say I've noticed any changes, but maybe I'm not doing enough work on it (not very motivated as this wasn't a huge problem for me)…
    -Rita

Layne

I hope not to muddle the subject by offering an alternative solution. When I started running 12 yrs ago the Dr told me I had Hallux Rigidus. In foot-doctor speak this means my big toe doesn't flex upward/backward. It is imperative my arch is well supported when I run. If not, my big toe joint will swell so large that I cannot get a shoe on much less walk. Though I purchased expesive orthotics through trial and error I found an inexpensive alternative that has worked for me.
    Spenco PolySorb® Walker/Runner inserts (www.spenco.com). I realize your question pertains to shoes. The beauty of my idea is that with these you can run in your preferred shoes. Using these I'm not bound to any model / type of running shoe. I've run in cushioned, motion control/support, and even light trainers for my marathons. Each insert weighs 2.5oz. I've experimented with various shoe models and sizes. Some models required a 1/2 sizer larger for a better fit, some didn't. This method has worked so well I own around 15 pair of inserts. I run 70 miles a week and while other parts of me may ache, my toe(s) do not. These are inexpensive enough its worth a try. If nothing else, wear them in your non-running shoes. I do…..

Catatonia

Thank you everyone.

Ryan,  I don't have one here.  The one that is supposedly a “specialty” store is full of bs.  I know more than them.  Here's something I will go with my gut on.  I've felt myself supinating when I run before, but for some reason, in these new Brooks shoes (S 25, or something.  I'm not sure of the exact title) made for neutral runners with “cushion,” I've felt a lot of pronation.  I know in my old “running shoes” that were not made for running after I've ran in them for 1.5 yrs, they were HIGHLY supinated.  So, I am wondering now, if I should go with a stability/motion control shoe for pronators or some other shoe like an Asics for cushioning…blah.  I don't know.  Everyone in my family has flat feet.  I have the little bone sticking out of the top of my feet a little bit, indicating a high arch, but the foot itself flattens out eventually.  Even the “wet foot” test is looking more flat footed as I did retested it tonight.  I've had Asics before but they totally left a rash on the arch of my foot because the flat footedness didn't mess with the “high archedness” and it rubbed against, causing blistering.  Fun, huh?  Now, my regular shoes are supinated.  My running shoes currently don't show much wearing yet (to any one side) although they are stiff and don't seem very flexible.  Hmm..maybe it's just me.

Any more ideas?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.