Shoes

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Shoes

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  tgrunner 10 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

tgrunner

any recommendations for a great nuetral racing shoe for the half distance? slight frame – no particular brand preference.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I don't think it's any secret that I'm an adidas fan. A few options I'm using as trainers right now (I have been using nothing but racing shoes for training for 7+ months now):

adiZero Mana
    adiZero LT DC (basically the same thing as the Mana but slightly lighter due to different materials used)
    Response Light (a little more bulky than the Mana and LT but you get a lot more cushion for a little more weight)

I also have a pair of the adiZero Pro that I've used for racing. I'd use it for a half marathon without hesitation but some people probably wouldn't want to venture beyond about 10K with it. It might work for you if you tend to wear less shoe than most people in any given race but I'd consider it with caution.

tgrunner

A couple people have recommeded the Adizero Pro's to me. They look nice, but I've never really gotten myself into a pair of adidas. Now I have the Asic Piraha's, and I ran Al's in them last sept no problems. so i do wear minimal shoes. I tend to train in nothing heavier then 9 oz. My old flats i ran the marathon in were the katana Racers….again, no problems. The katanas broke down quickly though, and the piranahs are too light for a half.  Maybe I'll get out there and try the Pro's….Hows the fit and durability?

Interestingly enough, many of my freinds train soley in flats now too….

Ryan
    Keymaster

The Pro doesn't have the greatest durability if you're looking to get a lot of miles on it but it's also not going to fall apart after just a couple of races. Fit is pretty typical of a racing flat, not the widest shoe in the world. Off the top of my head, I believe it's a curve last.

Out of curiosity, you wouldn't happen to have been on a team that we should be congratulating after Al's Run? If so, good job to you guys. We look forward to another good match-up in 2008.

denton

….I am not sating this becuase i am biased, but you gotta try the Mizuno Ronin. Just coming out on the market. I got mine today and they are unbelievable (super light , but very firm midsole….and very Japanese, as very little upper)….huge upgrade from the previous racer in N. America the Idaten (totally oppsite in regards to base of support, firmness, etc…)

tgrunner

Denton,

Thanks for the tip. I have fairly narrow feet, and in the past Mizuno have not worked all that well for me. If I can find them at a store I'll try them on and see how the fit works.

Ryan,

Thanks for the Adizero Pro tips……I think I'll try them on and see how they feel.  As for Al's, I did run on the team that finished just ahead of Hillrunner. I was running it anyway, and an old freind who used to run for Parkside's team asked me to register under the team name. So, it wasn't really a team effort in that I didn't know anyone else, but yes, I did run for that team.

I'll be there again this year certianly. Will Hillrunner be having a team in Crazy legs this April?

Ryan
    Keymaster

If you have fairly narrow feet, you may be in the same boat as me. I've had trouble with some brands/models of shoes in the past due to the same issue. The nice thing, for me at least, about the adiZero line of shoes is that they tend to run a bit narrow. It's not a hard rule but most do.

Denton, you have piqued my interest in those Mizuno shoes. While I've been trying to buy as many shoes as possible from the adidas outlet recently, if I ever have the chance to try those on, I won't pass it up.

Well, congratulations to your team. We actually looked in the past into forming a team for Crazylegs. We decided it was a rip-off. At least at that time, teams were just a fund raising event for that race. No actual team competition and everyone had to pay an extra $25 or something like that for a baseball cap. I am keeping Crazylegs on my personal list of potentials for the spring season but I don't anticipate trying to organize a team for it. We, of course, will be planning to be back at Al's Run, expecting another good battle with you guys as we attempt to recapture the team title.

denton

..i also have narrow feet, but the ronins fit narrow (espec in the heal)

Ryan
    Keymaster

That sounds perfect. I'll definitely have to see if I can find a pair of those to fit on somewhere.

sueruns

….I am not sating this becuase i am biased, but you gotta try the Mizuno Ronin. Just coming out on the market. I got mine today and they are unbelievable (super light , but very firm midsole….and very Japanese, as very little upper)….huge upgrade from the previous racer in N. America the Idaten (totally oppsite in regards to base of support, firmness, etc…)

I saw them toted in Running Times, just today.  They piqued my interest as I think it might be my speedstar replacement.  Speedstar II isn't even remotely like it's predecessor.

tgrunner

anyone have familiarity  / insight to the Asic Bandito?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.