Signs that the running apocalypse is upon us

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Signs that the running apocalypse is upon us

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 14 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

Exhibit 1 and exhibit 2.

FWIW, the author of the articles in exhibit 1 calls himself “the world’s fastest slow guy” whatever the hell that means. Other than that, he’s pretty quiet about his credentials. I wonder why. It seems that the author of the $40 book you can buy at exhibit 2 has run one marathon in his life, in 5:48. You can choose to buy his book for $40 ($20 off the regular price) or buy a book from a sub-2:15 marathoner or world renowned coach for $15. That book isn’t overpriced.

Jeff

This is classic here:

From exibit 2

“Marathon Secrets” is a groundbreaking guide about training for a marathon and it’s the result of years of research. It’s packed with pages of pure gold when it comes to finishing a marathon

I’m buying 3.

Mark5000

The marathon secrets book is just too funny… I’m not that offended by it. Just a complete joke. I think we’ve established that most anyone can make it across the marathon finish line in 5+ hours. Oh, and that there are always jerks on the internet willing to rip people off.

Now, the other site… as you probably know that would be Richard Gibbens from the RW and runtex forums. Living in Austin, I am especially annoyed by this guy. I honestly thought that anyone could read just one of his posts and figure out what a bunch of garbage this is, but apparently some runners in the area are actually going with his approach to training. Promise certain people that they can run well off 2-3 days training/week and they seem to listen regardless of the fact that the author has no credentials and apparently hasn’t written a research paper since his freshman year in high school. I am getting a bad feeling about this guy… he seems to have some sort of agenda. Like maybe he’s trying to build up a small following, get a few success stories, and then move on to try and scam some money with his lies.

I try to tell myself that a runner with any real drive and potential can avoid this nonsense, but then again a new or younger runner, or perhaps an veteran who hasn’t done his homework, may not be able to draw the right conclusions. Now alot of us can probably read just about any sentence in his “articles” and find at least one huge flaw in his facts or reasoning. But apparently there are plenty of people who can’t get past the 2-3 days/week to success idea. I am really beginning to understand why good distance runners tend to be intelligent and well educated… for one thing, this kind of junk (though this stuff is exceptionally stupid) won’t affect them. Unfortunately, no coach or author can teach people to be reasonable.

Run

This guy Ginbens will have followers for the same reason that the people who sell pills that will make you lose weight make billions of dolloars every year. Very few people are willing to do the work, but everyone wants the results. Most of our country is becoming fatter and lazier than ever.

randys

In the list of features from ‘Marathon Secrets’ one of them really cracked me up:

‘What to do after the race so you can walk the next day’

Not being able to walk the next day is a sign you should’nt have run in the first place.

Hell, the day after each of my marathons I’ve run I run a couple of miles to loosen up.

It looks like they are jumping on the ‘Penguins’ bandwagon to cash in.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Jeff, can you let me borrow one of those copies? I want to see some of those pages of pure…ahh…gold. 🙄

Mark, look at it this way. More people for you to beat. 😉 Seriously, I tried to debate with him and point out the various flaws in his statements for the reason you stated. I didn’t want naive people to fall into his trap. However, it simply wasn’t worth it. What’s the saying? Don’t wrestle with swine. You end up covered in mud and they just enjoy it. That’s how it felt trying to debate with him. His arguments were totally illogical. Now, of course, he puts up his “articles” in a place where people can’t point out the flaws in his statements. How convenient.

Run, can’t agree with you more. Anyone else notice any parallels between Gibbens and Atkins?

Mark5000

Ryan, your patience blows my mind sometimes. Alot of what you do at RW seems to involve repeating similar advice week after week, with a few fresh topics thrown in to keep you sane. From what I read over there, it sounds like many runners are getting the point. You and kemibe have definitely helped me get my act together as far as my training goes, and that’s just from lurking and checking out your sites (both found by clicking on magpie’s links at RW). Cleansing my brain of so much of the bs picked up over the years has been a nice change.

Anyone else notice any parallels between Gibbens and Atkins?

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but let’s give Atkins a little bit of credit here. 🙂

Ryan
    Keymaster
    Mark5000 wrote:
    Ryan, your patience blows my mind sometimes. Alot of what you do at RW seems to involve repeating similar advice week after week, with a few fresh topics thrown in to keep you sane. From what I read over there, it sounds like many runners are getting the point. You and kemibe have definitely helped me get my act together as far as my training goes, and that’s just from lurking and checking out your sites (both found by clicking on magpie’s links at RW). Cleansing my brain of so much of the bs picked up over the years has been a nice change.

You know, whenever I start thinking I can’t take the RW forums anymore, I get an e-mail or some other message from someone thanking me for helping them BQ or take 20-30 minutes off their marathon time or run a big 10k PR. Then, I think if I’m helping just a few people, the beatings I take there at times and the monotony of some of the topics may be worth it. I don’t know, maybe I’m just a glutton for punishment.

Besides, most of the topics in my thoughts section under training can be directly attributed to questions that are repeatedly asked at the RW forums. I get sick of answering the same questions repeatedly, so I write an article answering the questions then just link to that. Without those articles, how much original content would this site have?

Mark5000 wrote:

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but let’s give Atkins a little bit of credit here. 🙂

I don’t know, I see a lot of parallels. Someone who claims to be an expert (maybe a bigger stretch for Gibbens than Atkins) trying to pass off a bogus theory based on twisted logic and the idea that “common knowledge” can’t be trusted (conspiracy theorists?). Both appeal to the typical American who wants to see results without putting in the required work. Both offer solutions that will show some immediate results but are innefective, most likely counterproductive, and possibly dangerous in the long run. I don’t think I’ve ever heard Atkins defend his claims so I can’t say if he would get as wild as Gibbens there but I definitely see some parallels.

JCWrs

Don’t worry Ryan, you’ve probably got as many converts as RG. I know I didn’t know half as much about training before I started reading your advice. Of course there will always be people that try to get to their goal without doing the work, but as you have already said more people for you to beat. I do marvel at your patience many times…but I’m glad there are people like you out there to spread the truth (or at the very least a better way). Keep doing what you’re doing, it really does help.

Jeff
    Mark5000 wrote:

I like it when Ryan ruffles feathers in the RW marathon forum. That last one was pretty good. Oh, yeah that poster said something about hoping that the 4th place runner would end up running in the Olympics. Oh that was great entertainment. Gave me something to do for about 10 minutes. It was really quite unfair. Ryan got attacked for a misunderstanding. People are too sensitive 😥

Jeff

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.