Slattery’s Win Leads US Women to Bolder Boulder Team Title

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Slattery’s Win Leads US Women to Bolder Boulder Team Title

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  GTF 12 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

GTF

Michael Sandrock
    29 May 2006
    Boulder, CO
    Running USA

Click here for results.

Adane Men's Champion, Mexico Wins Men's Team Title
    BOULDER, Colo. – (May 29, 2006) – Sara Slattery has had several big races in her career, including the NCAA 3000 meter indoor and 10,000 meter outdoor titles at the University of Colorado, along with being part of the Buffaloes 2000 national championship team.

Nothing, however, compares to her win Monday at the 9th International Team Challenge, part of the 28th Bolder Boulder 10K. Running for Team USA along with Boulder vets and U.S. Olympians Jen Rhines and Elva Dryer, Slattery, 24, surged on the final turn of the tough five-lap criterium course that starts and finishes in Folsom Field and held on for a thrilling one-second victory over Poland's Dorota Gruca.

Slattery, in her Bolder Boulder debut, clocked 33 minutes, 42 seconds with Rhines, in fifth, and defending champ Dryer, in ninth, as the trio combined to give the U.S. a team score of 15 points, with Kenya (22 points) second and Romania (38) third. Slattery also was the fifth U.S. champion in six years to win the women's pro race.

http://www.coloradorunnermag.com/news/BolderBoulder_2006.html

Photo Gallery

Ryan
    Keymaster

Thanks for posting this. I missed all Bolder Boulder news, couldn't find it from my usual sources, and didn't have time yet to search out other sources. Incredible run for Slattery.

GTF

Incredible indeed.  Considering her age and experience, not to mention the string of significant injuries that put a damper on her collegiate career, she took down some pretty notable names in that race.

One of my favorite parts of the linked article:

Because of a glitch on the clock, Slattery had no idea of what pace she was running.

It did not matter, she said, because “I was just racing.”

Ryan
    Keymaster

A very interesting part of the article. Some of my best races have come in similar ways. I was either so focused on racing that I didn't notice my splits or I could not get my splits so I just raced. Something could probably be learned from this, sometimes we limit ourselves by focusing too much on the clock and not enough on how our bodies are actually handling the pace the clock says we are running at.

GTF

11278-3613-009f.jpg

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.