"Slimmer Doesn’t Always Mean Fitter"

Welcome! Forums Running Forum "Slimmer Doesn’t Always Mean Fitter"

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew A. 8 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Andrew A.

Ryan
    Keymaster

The best and most applicable part of that article comes right at the end:

Mr. Reyes said that he and Mr. Agassi learned not to let the scale rule your life. “We had a little bit of a phrase,” he said. “The weight scale to most human beings can be like a Ouija board. It can start messing with your head.”

Honestly, I have to admit that I've been stepping on the scale recently, pretty much just because it's there. Of course, it didn't tell me anything I didn't know already. I'm about as fit as I have been in a few years and I want to make sure I don't lose (or gain) any more weight. I can tell with or without the scale that I'm on the edge – at that “ideal” level where losing more would hurt my running but also where gaining more would be adding unproductive weight I don't want to carry around. All the scale has done is confirm that.

ed
    Participant

When I was in basic training the slimest guy couldn't even do 5 pushups and his running was pathetic as well.

Andrew A.

While Kolata's columns sometimes leave me scratching my head, I feel that this one has a lot of good takeaway for the reader.  She uses a lot of great examples here, and I like her use of Tom Fleming's insights:

My running coach, Tom Fleming, a former elite runner who won the New York City Marathon twice, in 1973 and 1975, said that he always tells his competitive athletes “that the perfect weight is the weight you are the day you P.B. in your event,” referring to the time you achieve your personal best — or fastest — finish.

“Your body will tell you” your perfect weight, he said, and when you are there, “you will feel fast, race fast.”

Andre Agassi's former trainer imparts a really good mindset, too:

Andre Agassi, the tennis star, and his longtime trainer, Gil Reyes, discovered through experience that Mr. Agassi’s best weight was between 178 and 182 pounds (Mr. Agassi is 5 feet 11 1/2.)

“We came up with a number, but we did not seek a number,” Mr. Reyes explained in a recent telephone interview. “It was all about him feeling strong and fit.”

Andrew A.

Also, not long ago coach Jay Johnson put up a blog post that relates to this subject:
    http://www.coachjayjohnson.com/2009/09/mailbag-004/

ed
    Participant

Thanks for the links – they are pretty good reading and really clearify what many of have believed all along.

Double

I have never been thin by running standards.  If I'm in the low 170s for 5' 10″ I am doing good.  When I PR'd at Boston in 2002 I did get below 165.  I got down to 158 once and ran terrible.  I like to be around the 172 range, but have run good ultras at 180.  It was never a real big deal to me if I was running a lot.  I have to run to my ideal weight, trying to diet never had a good effect.  A lot of it has to do with my natural big hips and thighs. 

cesar
    Participant

i am glad to hear that double( a pretty good athlete) runs his best races at 170-180 pounds, i am a bit frustrated because i have put about 15 pounds in the last years, i am in 165 pounds now , and 2 years ago i was in 144-145 pounds, i have been training pretty good , so i dont know why i increased that much, should i worry about? or just train the best that i can and let the weight take care of itself?  women think that i am look better but i think my running doesn't get used to that kind of weight? i did pretty good wotkouts on december and i think that i was around 160 at that point, so i dont know!!

Ryan
    Keymaster

Cesar, if you're training good and eating healthy, I'd say don't get too worked up about it. Maybe you're like Double. I can't even picture him at my weight, even though we're about the same height.

sueruns

I have never been thin by running standards.  If I'm in the low 170s for 5' 10″ I am doing good.  When I PR'd at Boston in 2002 I did get below 165.  I got down to 158 once and ran terrible.  I like to be around the 172 range, but have run good ultras at 180.  It was never a real big deal to me if I was running a lot.  I have to run to my ideal weight, trying to diet never had a good effect.  A lot of it has to do with my natural big hips and thighs. 

I could have written this.  I ran my PR a little below what was my normal race weight and even at that weight 5'3.5″ 114# it isn't exactly thin.  I like being 116-118.  ran like crap at 110# which is 'still' overweight for female distance.  I run pretty well up to 120#.  over 120# the longer the distance, the more the weight will show……..but hell, i look good at 120# imho  ;D.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.