Slower run than easy pace

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Slower run than easy pace

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  meter998 12 years ago.

• Author

meter998

Hi All,

My kids (12 and 14 years old) and I like to run together 1-2 times a week, mostly 4-5 miles each, typically in my easy run pace of ~ 10 minutes/mile so we could chat during the runs.  Their easy runs by theirself are at ~ 8:45/mile. This seems reasonable as they run about 20-21 minutes in 5K races.  I think this should not be a problem if we are just to enjoy the runs.  However if they are in a track racing season of middle distances (mainly 1500m), is this something to be avoided?

GTF

It might depend upon exactly what entails a “track racing season of middle distances.”  On the face of it, though, unless there is sufficient reason to worry that has yet to be mentioned then there is likely no harm at all in it.

meter998

To make a specific example: the kids are preparing for 1500m races in next two months.  During the week days  they follow their coach in the school doing some tempo and speed runs.  We would like to run together in the weekend.  The total weekly mileage is not much (mostly about ~ 15 miles).

Ryan
    Keymaster

What does the coach have to say about this?

In general, even for middle distance runners, aerobic development is a very good thing and will help immensely. However, I'd just make sure that these runs fit into the coach's plan.

GTF

That is hardly specific — how frequent are the races?

meter998

1. The coach is positive about we have a run at the weekend, however she is vague about pace.  So what trouble me is whether 10 or 8:45 minutes/mile would make significant difference.

2. There are 4 races in 6 months, although they are not evenly spaced.

Ryan
    Keymaster

In general, people think they have to do easy runs faster than they actually do. A general rule of thumb I frequently find myself offering is if you think it's too fast, it most definitely is. If you think it's just right, it's probably too fast. If you think it's too slow, it's probably just about right.

FWIW, my 5k race pace is around or a bit over 5:00/mile typically and I've been finding myself running better when doing at least some easy runs in the 7:30/mile range, in the range of 50% slower than my 5k race pace. At 10:00/mile, your kids are still doing those runs at about the same pace relative to their race pace as I've been finding very beneficial.

That said, for specific pace suggestions, you may want to talk with the coach.

GTF

If the worry is that the slower pace will be detrimental, likely not.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.