SNOW! some panic in NJ

Welcome! Forums Running Forum SNOW! some panic in NJ

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Run 13 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Run

I am about to go out for my 18, which was supposed to be tommorow, but I decided to swap for todays 6, which if its really bad, I can do indoors on the mill.

Why do people go so crazy when it snows? I was at the food store lastnight and people were stocking up like they might not be able to get to the store again for days, meanwhile the parking lot is filled with big SUVs 😕

I went and bought some of those slip on snow spikes. I guess I have different priorities 🙂 Anyone else try these or use these, I just felt that after last year I was tired of gingerly running over icy/snowy streets and trails. Wont be a problem today though as I will be back before any accumulation really occurs. Happy snowday to all in the Northeast.

Tim

Ryan
    Keymaster

I’m just interested in how it snows in the Northeast and all the national media is talking about it like it’s a natural disaster. Meanwhile, out here in the Midwest, we get the same storm and life just goes on. I can barely see my neighbor’s house, about 30-40 feet away from my living room window, right now due to all the blowing snow.

I’ll be out trudging through the snow a little later today. I decided to let the storm get out and give people some time to clean up before going. Of course, that means I get hit with the wicked windchills but I can dress for them. Running through knee deep snow and thigh deep, if not deeper, drifts is just annoying. My morning workout today was spending an hour shoveling my relatively small driveway.

Double

Ryan, thanks, I ran by your house an it was shoveled, Cameron was in the process and Pski must of still been workin’ on another chili dog.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Back in Chetek, we used to say that Coach Conway had a sixth sense when it came to detecting runners. It didn’t matter who you were or when you were running. If you ran by his house, he knew. I think I might have hung around him enough that this sixth sense rubbed off on me.

A little before 9:30 this morning, I got up to see how badly the snow was drifting in my driveway. As I opened the blinds, I saw someone coming up the sidewalk. Sure enough, there’s Double running by. Were you just going around to check who got up early to shovel?

cameron

i’m headed out for a short run now. double…i stand in awe of you…2.5 hours in that slop is either a huge accomplishment or complete tomfoolery. 😆

Peter

After 11 straight days running. Like Ryan said, the trade-off is running tomorrow morning when it’ll be -3. I did get about two hours of shoveling in. I suppose I need to take some ibu, to combat any DOMS.

elkid
    Ryan wrote:
    I’m just interested in how it snows in the Northeast and all the national media is talking about it like it’s a natural disaster. Meanwhile, out here in the Midwest, we get the same storm and life just goes on. I can barely see my neighbor’s house, about 30-40 feet away from my living room window, right now due to all the blowing snow.

It all depends on what you’re used to. When you get only a few inches here and there, a foot and a half is something to reckon with. Especially when you don’t own a truck or SUV. My car sits, undrivable, in front of my house. No tread left on the tires from getting it up the street and close to the curb. Until the thaw comes and I can get new tires, my husband’s schlepping me in his SUV. Others are not so fortunate.

r-at-work

in the DC area you also have the problem (even in nice weather) that there are people here from all over the country and even other parts of the world… so YOU might have no problem but the person in the vehicle next to you may never have seen snow and doesn’t know to slow down…

then you also have people who bought an SUV and believe the commercials of the thing being driven up snowy mountains and across icy lakes with no problems… I think this weekend more SUVs went off the roads than regular cars….

I know for years when I first moved here my mom (at the time in N.Ill) would compare days below zero to my days below freezing and STILL beat my count every winter… oh well… I used to be able to take the cold… like when you shake the ice off the scarf you have over your mouth before you go in the house…

-Rita

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.