So what does this mean?

Welcome! Forums Running Forum So what does this mean?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Peter 13 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Peter

I ran a hard workout Friday, that turned out to be a 1/2 Marathon solo time trial. I started off slow, and ran the 1st 3 miles at about 7:23 pace. I picked it up steadily, and my 3 mile average pace after that was like so…

6:49 for miles 4-6

6:46 for miles 7-9

6:39 for miles 10-12

6:39 for the last 1.1

I ended up in 1:30:06. I’ve only really raced one 1/2 before, and it was almost 2 years ago in 1:32. Since then I’ve run faster 4 times, 3 times in solo workouts (1:28:45 and 1:30:20 were the others) and my 1st 1/2 at Lakefront (1:30:30). My training this past winter and spring has been mostly easy miles, and I’ve bounced btwn 30-50 miles since mid-February except for vacation in April. Now the question: My main goal is to get in shape to take a stab at sub-3:00 at Boston in 11 months. I figure I need to be at 1:24 1/2 marathon ability to get prepared for sub 3. I know basically what I need to do btwn now and December (run miles, stay healthy), but if I wanted to shoot for a 1/2 goal race 4 months from now in September, what types of workouts should I look at doing? I want to use the summer to build a base so 50-60 mile weeks are comfortable, but don’t want to do so much quality that it may adversely impact me for next April. Any comments and suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

oh, btw, for those who don’t know about me, I be a male, 40 years of age, 25 year on and off runner, mostly on the past 7 years, whose other recent performances w/in last year are 18:05 5K (solo TT), 37:58 10K, 65:00 10M, and 3:06:51 Marathon…

-peter

Zeke

Peter,

If you are running 1:30:06 in a solo TT, I’d say you are probably pretty close to 1:24. I’d say within 2 minutes in a race situation.

I know basically what I need to do btwn now and December (run miles, stay healthy), but if I wanted to shoot for a 1/2 goal race 4 months from now in September, what types of workouts should I look at doing? I want to use the summer to build a base so 50-60 mile weeks are comfortable, but don’t want to do so much quality that it may adversely impact me for next April.

I have a similar goal for this year – peaking for a fall half marathon. I’d suggest picking out a half marathon, then working backwards from there. I’m mainly focusing on miles and hills through June. Then in July I’ll start adding some speed workouts and races. With Boston being 11 months away, I don’t think you have to worry about too much quality having an adverse impact. Just don’t go out and do 3 hard track workouts and a race every week. Play it smart. Then after your half marathon, cut back a little before you ramp up towards Boston.

performances w/in last year are 18:05 5K (solo TT), 37:58 10K, 65:00 10M, and 3:06:51 Marathon…

Wow, an 18:05 solo TT? That’s sweet, but the rest of your times don’t really correspond to your 5k time, especially as the race gets further and further.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I think the question comes down to what you want to accomplish over the summer. You would have time to go through a training cycle for a fall half and still get through a full training cycle for Boston. If you wanted to do this, draw up a half marathon plan and go for it.

If you want to continue to focus on building your base through the summer and fall, then I’d suggest not doing things like hitting the track for blistering workouts. Instead, I’d stick with tempo runs, fartleks, and strides for workouts. These are workouts that fit very nicely into base building already but can also be used to build up to a pretty decent peak if you wish to do so. I doubt you need very much to get yourself to 1:24. Building your base will do a lot to get you close to that. All you need in terms of workouts is a bit of speed to top things off.

Peter

I don’t run a lot of races, so these solo hard workouts need to suffice. I agree that w/ a bit of a taper and better pacing, this was probably equivalent to a 1:27 race effort. Based on my limited speed training thus far this year, I know I can approach 1:24 by the fall. I really don’t see myself as a marathon runner (more a 5M-10K runner), but I want my training to focus more on the longer stuff, to shore up the slide on the performance scale I get as the distances get longer.

Ryan, as for hitting the track, I probably will stick to tempo and LT runs, and an occasional TT for my speedwork. For the next 4-6 weeks, I will probably run one MP run of varying length per week, and do a tempo/LT workout every other week. Then after a 10K race on 7/4, I will look at a tempo/LT workout every week or so, and build a weekly long run to 15-16 miles. The 1/2 marathon is 9/13, so I have 15-16 weeks, plenty of time.

BTW Zeke, Merv says my 5K and 10K performances are identical, fwiw. After that, I know I start sucking comparitively. My 1:24 1/2 goal actually brings me right in line w/ the 5 & 10K times. This also predicts a 2:57 marathon. Oh well, time is my ally on this one. As long as I do the work.

Thanks again guys. I think I know mostly what I’m supposed to be doing, it’s just sometimes one needs some positive affirmation. I do appreciate it!

-Peter

Zeke

BTW Zeke, Merv says my 5K and 10K performances are identical, fwiw.

Yes, but keep in mind that your 5k was a TT not a race. I think there is a huge difference. I can push myself a heck of a lot harder in a race than I can in a solo TT. Therefore, I was assuming that your 5k race time would actually be about 30 seconds faster, thereby “throwing off” your 10k comparison.

Camel Lung

From you stats provided, I’d say all you have to do is stay healthy and add some mileage.

The only goal I’d question is the “headroom” a 1:24 half provides.

Clearly, Boston is the “mother” of all marathons. If you want to have power to spare is the face of Boston’s starting crowd and possibloe heat, as well as the “hill” — then I’d say you need to see a 1:20 half on your own easy “favorite course”.

But then again, maybe you’re already running tough bigtime hills on your training route? When I was 40, I was running exactly the same kind of paces you are.

Zeke
    Camel Lung wrote:
    The only goal I’d question is the “headroom” a 1:24 half provides.

I thought the same thing. Obviously, everyone is different. I’d say I’d have to be in 1:23 shape to run sub-3 on a “normal” course. Probably 1:22 shape to run sub-3 at Boston.

To me, 1:20 seems overly conservative. If someone’s in 1:20 shape, they should be able to run sub-3 fairly easily (if they do the “proper” training). Also, keep in mind, the difference between 1:24 and 1:20 is huge.

Peter

So I want to be at 1:24 this September, so I can gauge my progress, both up to that point, and going forward. If I do run a 1/2 prior to Boston, it won’t be a race. It’ll be a solo TT about 5-6 weeks prior, so I won’t get a fair evaluation strictly on time analysis. I agree that 1:22 shape for me will spell sub-3 probability. Hey, that’s why we plan and prepare…:D

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.