soda

Welcome! Forums Running Forum soda

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  rehammes 11 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

dan

does drinking soda and coke or pepsi affect your running???? thanks

r-at-work

some days it's liquid motivation…(at work) ::), some days it's my reward… some days it helps me get through the rest of my day  ;D, like this weekend when I did my long run and still had 8 loads of laundry(with stairs), grocery shopping to do and dinner to cook…
    -Rita

GTF

Try going without and see for oneself.  8)

Ryan
    Keymaster

As long as it's not a replacement for good nutrition, it's probably not a big deal either way. Personally, I have had virtually nothing but root beer for over a decade and I don't miss it at all. I instead choose water and, in the place of the empty calories, more nutritious foods.

rehammes

I heard from a CC coach, many years back, that carbonated beverages take oxygen out of your blood.  The simple sugars certainly do not provide a good source of sustained energy either.  I have known people that would drink a soda before a short race for a quick energy boost, I don't think I would try that.  Also, many carbonated beverages contain caffeine, which is a diuretic, so you will not receive the hydrating benefits of an equal amount of water.  Personally, workouts seem easier during periods that I stay away from soda.

r-at-work

… carbonated beverages take oxygen out of your blood. The simple sugars certainly do not provide a good source of sustained energy either. Also, many carbonated beverages contain caffeine, which is a diuretic, so you will not receive the hydrating benefits of an equal amount of water. Personally, workouts seem easier during periods that I stay away from soda. 

except for you personal findings that your workouts go better without soda… most of what you said has been found to be untrue or insignificant…

I seem to recall that Bill Rogers (or was it Frank Shorter?) used flat Coke as an energy drink, so he thought it worked for him… the big thing (according to the article cited) is that runners don't like the 'bubbles' in their stomach as they run… but I think YOUR personal findings are what is really important (to you) as we are all different… I usually have one diet soda a day (so no HFCS) but don't imbibe during marathons (or use gels with caffeine) as this would send me for a major pit stop…

as GTF has said, 'see for oneself'… going without for a few days might give you a headache as caffeine is addicting
    -Rita

Ryan
    Keymaster

Yes, flat Coke is a popular pick-me-up for late in marathons and ultras. The sugar rush can carry one who is glycogen depleted through the final few miles.

That said, the major issue I have with the idea of daily consumption is that these drinks are strictly empty calories. No positive nutrition, just a large amount of empty calories that often are not filling and result in one carrying more weight than necessary.

cameron

i can vouch for the utility of coca-cola for a bonking ultrarunner.  it's brought me back from the brink a few times.

admittedly, for daily training/living i'm trying to cut back on the “regular” soda for the coke zero.

dan

is it truth that those beverages affect negatively the kidneys??

GTF

If the possibility of kidney stones is considered a negative, then yes.  8)

SBSpartan

My buddy passed a kidney stone on a bus home from Steamboat one time.  I pretty much gave up soda after having to see that.

rehammes

Rita, I'm not sure that study refutes anything other than what my old coach told me about depleted blood/oxygen levels.  The study acknowledges the strong diuretic effect of caffeine and I don't think the dietary value of soda is a matter of contention.  I understood the original post to be referring to daily intake of carbonated beverages.  I did not think of it as a sports drink and since many de-fiz soda before consuming it as a sports drink, then it ceases to be a carbonated beverage. 

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.