Something Completely Different

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Something Completely Different

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  ed 9 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

ed
    Participant

It was tough for me to understand the slow it down and add miles idea but the more I did it the better I ran.  Although, I am able to fairly easily run 8-10 miles most mornings (1.25-1.5 hours) and hardly be breathing heavy at all.  Now my question is with no ability to add extra time to my runs (only get 6 hours of sleep as it is) do I speed up a bit?  That would help me increase my distances – or – do I squeeze a short 4-5 mile run at night?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Ed, that's an interesting question. When we hit our limits on the amount of time we are willing to give to running, what do we do next? There have been times when I never had to worry about this question. In the past year or so, however, I've been thinking more all the time about this question.

Personally, I've been opting to speed it up. However, my view for why I'm doing so points out a contrast with most people who are asking this question. I'm doing this because this is a type of valley for me. I've been to the peak of much higher volumes than what I've been recently settling into. For me, having already done hundreds of 20 or more mile 2 a days, how much stimulus is a 15 or fewer mile 2 a day really going to be? Maybe something but possibly not as much as doing something I haven't done as much before, which is pushing the pace for an hour a day most days of the week. Anyway, most people aren't coming from this background so I just wasted almost everyone's time with that reasoning.

For someone like you, I'd say why not a little of both? Start with once or twice a week throwing in a short evening run. Build that up to 2-3 days a week, more if you wish. On the other days, if you feel good, let it fly. If not, recover for the next day.

What's my reasoning for this? Some great scientific insight? Not really, just a gut feeling and covering all bases. I strongly believe that 2 a days are great training and can lead to a lot of benefit but I don't think a lot of 30 minute runs are going to do a lot for you so I'm hedging my bets by saying go for both. Given that fact, take it for what it is. Just a gut instinct of someone who has never personally worked with you. Someone else could come in and offer some completely different opinion based on a gut feeling and that wouldn't necessarily be any more or less valid than my gut feeling.

GTF

If there is time to accommodate doubles then by all means get after it.

ed
    Participant

I was thinking about the idea of both.  A small incease of speed to accomadate another mile or so each morning.  After a couple weeks of this I'll add two doubles a week and see how things play out.  I really beleive that a couple of evening runs (immediately after getting the children to bed) would help me clear my mind and I'll fall asleep faster when I hit the pillow.  I believe this could help increase the amount of sleep that I get without cutting back on the running.  This would be an all around win situation (possibly a pipe dream) but I'll never know if I don't go for it.

Ryan
    Keymaster

If I were you, I'd go the other direction but that may be a preference thing. I'd personally prefer to add the doubles while still going at a fairly relaxed pace, then let the pace increase naturally while adapting to the new volume.

ed
    Participant

Don't know why I didn't think of that.  Cripes that makes much more sense.

Double

Ed,

I'm more in the run everyday if you can camp.  Based on your circumstances and history I would maintain a daily consistency.  Winter is coming.  It is enough as it is to get out the door.  Maintaining a couple doubles a week wears on a guy.  Get this down first and then think about this when the sun illuminates longer and the conditions aren't so iffy.

ed
    Participant

My history does tell a bad tale – but I have been averaging 5 days a week and 7-10 miles each run.  My thought is – if I start making a couple double days and history starts to repeat itself the double days will turn to single days and I am still going to average 5 days a week getting 35-40 miles in. 

I will be very midfull of burnout – if I feel it coming on I'll back off the doubles.  But usually life gets in the way and makes my history so  :'(  it is not usually lack of desire.

It has been a bit chilly these past couple of mornings and way darker.  Yuck – winter!

Ryan
    Keymaster

5 days a week? My suggestion, try to get that to at least 6 days a week, 7 would be good, before worrying about 2 a days. As Double pointed out, daily consistency. He's been preaching that for as long as I've known him and for good reason.

ed
    Participant

Will do –

After about 4-6 weeks of 6-7 days a week, I'll toss in a couple doubles.

Time is such an enemy.

rehammes

You mentioned that running longer in the AM isn't an option because you are only getting 6 hrs of sleep as it is.  I'm curious how squeeezing in an evening run is even an option.  I don't have any idea of the physiological benefits of the second run versus a single, longer run, but it seems to me that it would be easier-by a wide margin-to run farther in the morning than do a second run.  Just me.  Like double said, with winter coming up, it's hard enough getting out the door in the first place, let alone twice a day.

ed
    Participant

After getting the children to bed at 8:00 I cannot fall asleep until 9-10 PM – no matter how tired I am, so an hour run in there would not be an issue.  (I can hit the old t-mill in the basement).

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.