Sports World Celebrates 50 yr. ‘Mile" Stone

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Sports World Celebrates 50 yr. ‘Mile" Stone

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jeff 13 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Jeff

Bart

I’m currently reading the Perfect Mile. The training the three main characters did in chasing a sub-4 minute mile is inspiring.

Bart

Bart wrote:
    I’m currently reading the Perfect Mile. The training the three main characters did in chasing a sub-4 minute mile is inspiring.

Bart

It is a great read, but I think the training that Landy and Bannister followed is NOT the way to prepare. Santee, to me, had the best preparation method. His training is much more like today’s runners than either of the other two.

I argue that Landy and Bannister were pretty much topping out since they were so focused on anaerobic development. The mile is an aerobic event primarily, even at 4 min pace. Even at 100 seconds, about 60% of the energy for all out exercise comes from aerobic sources. At 4 minutes, that means you are close to 75% aerobic.

None of this diminishes the great accomplishment of any of the men. I also liked the sections about Santee and the AAU–makes my blood boil every time I read about the AAU jerk-offs.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.