Spring race report

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Spring race report

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Run 14 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Run

Today I ran in a St. Paddys day 10 miler in Freehold, NJ. The conditions were great, it was a little breezy, but it was partly cloudy and about 50.

I have been planning this run as a gauge on how fast I will attempt my first marathon, and it went well enough that I think I am going to try to qualify for Boston.

I started out a little fast, like I usually do, 6:24, 6:19 and I immediately realized I should have been wearing short sleeves. The wind made it feel so cold before the race that I thought I would need the long sleeve shirt. Wrong, as soon as we made the first turn to put the wind at my back I was sweating.

I hit the half feeling good at 32:18, much more aggressive than I normally run a race like this. There were some hills, but no killers, and equal ups and downs. I went through 7 and 8 at 6:20 and 6:22, then slowed a little in mile 9, but I was able to fininsh strong, passing 3 guys in the last mile at 6:16. I think I came in the top 30, but the official results wont be posted until later tonight.

I came in at 1:04:53, almost 2 minutes faster than a race I ran just a month ago! This is only the third time I have raced this distance, and each time I have gotten steadily faster, so today was a PR.

Two more weeks until I begin my taper, so I am just focused on staying healthy and getting my workouts in. I have been feeling tired lately as the mileage increases, but after today I feel like it is paying off.

As a final note, the guy who won the race went to my highschool, finished in 53 something, OUCH! But even scarier is that the course record is 48something!!

Woody

representing the East coast 😀 Good work and congrads on a PR! looking good for your thon!

woody

Jeff

Looks like a BQ isn’t out of the question. Good job.

Jeff

Zeke

Tim,

Great job. Nice to get under that 6:30 pace threshold.

For what it’s worth, I’m probably in 64-65 minute 10 mile shape and I think sub-3:10 is doable for me right now. As long as you have enough endurance to go with your speed, you’ll be making your Boston reservations soon.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.