Spring Races

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Spring Races

This topic contains 35 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Zeke 13 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Zeke

Back to Anne’s question from earlier in the week. Just curious what everyone is training for. I have a pretty good idea, but thought it be nice to have in one place. Here’s what I have…

Zeke – Grandma’s marathon

Ed – Green Bay marathon

r-at-work – 3/19 marathon

Carmeron – Ultra and Boston?

Double – Ultra

Steve from New Jersey – Boston

Floridaboiler – Ultra

RandyS – marathon

SwampTiger – Boston

Anyone else? It doesn’t have to be a marathon or ultra.

Anne

Originally planned to run Boston after qualifying at the Flying Pig but there’s too much family stuff going on this spring. So, here’s my schedule so far:

2/12-V Day 5K-Appleton

2/19-Run On Water 5 mile-Bayfield

3/5-Bock Run 5 mile-Stevens Point

4/?-Old Colonel’s 5K-Iola

5/14-Journey’s 1/2 Marathon-Eagle River

10/9-Chicago Marathon- hoping for a new PR

cameron

i’ve got a similar situation as anne, my sister is getting married in vegas over memorial day. at the moment, the plan is Trailbreaker 26.2 in April and Ice Age 50M in May.

Anne

The Ice Age is on my “must do” list.

Run a 50 when I’m 50?

elkid

I tossed my spring marathon to satisfy training requirements for bigger goals. So for my spring season, 2/19-5/14, I have 10 races on the docket, 1 4M, 2 5M, 2 10K, 1 10M, 3 half marathons. If my friend gets over his foot issue, I’ll also do the first 3 of 5 legs (17.6M) in a marathon relay for Special Olympics with him as the 10th; otherwise I’ll do a 5K that day.

Peter

For the Spring, it looks like Crazylegs (8k) in April and either Sytennde Mai (20M) or Mad City 1/2M in May. Then a build-up to a fall Marathon (most likely Chicago).

Anne

Oops! Forgot to put Crazy Legs on my list-my first.

stealthycat

Mine are little races… ๐Ÿ˜ณ

February 12 – Valentine’s Day 5K

February 19th – Lung Run Half Marathon

March 6 – 4 person relay for the Little Rock Marathon

March 19 – Victorian Classic 10K

April 2 – Capital City Classic 10K

April 9 – Arkansas River Trail 15K

April 30 – Toad Suck 10K

I’ve never done a marathon. ๐Ÿ˜‰

ccbrian4

I’m training for a half-marathon at the end of July. Originally, this fall was going to be my first marathon, but I’ve had to change plans with my second child on the way.

Linz

I don’t post much but read often, so I’ll add my schedule to the growing list.

4/09 South Shore Half (tune up for Bosty – not raced)

4/18 Boston

5/22 Green Bay Half

6/19 Grandma’s

After nearly 3 solid month’s of 50-60 miles, I’m coming off a 3 week layoff due to a piriformis strain. It’s not completely healed, but is run-able right now as long as I’m careful. I was following the Pfitz 18 week/70 max program but will switch to a modified 12 week/55 max program and hope for the best. Still targeting sub 3 at Boston or Grandma’s.

Mark

Linz

That was supposed to read ’50-60 mile weeks’. Oops!

Mark

Ryan
    Keymaster

Well, this whole spring is tentative for me. In fact, it’s so tentative that my most concrete race plan (Crazylegs) is still tentative. That noted, I’ll list out all the maybes:

Feb/early March: Anything? I’d like to find something just to stretch the legs out.

4/2: Trailbreaker – Half or 5k

4/9: South Shore Half

4/30: Crazylegs

May: I’d like to do Syttende Mai but I might be booked in. Probably find a way to fit something in.

June: Walleye Run

MothAudio

2/6 Winter Run 15 miler [training run]

4/2 Columbus Distance Classic Half

5/1 FlyPig Marathon [dress rehersal]

5/28 Wheeling WV 20k

I’ll race the Half but don’t expect to be very sharp. My 1st important race of the year is the 20k.

Run

The only race I have coming up is the NJ marathon that ive been training for, 4/16, beyond that I have finals, and then its on to the summer season of short fast races 8) ,

Tim

JCWrs

I’ll throw in what I know thus far, my goals are to PR at 5, 10, and 15K this year, but my racing schedule is very up in the air.

NEXT RACE:

Sweetheart Run 10K 2/19

ULTIMATE GOAL RACE:

Tulsa Run 15K 10/29 (I think…it is always at the end of October)

In between I am sure I’ll do some races, but I don’t know when and where. I’m thinking of trying to get in as many races at 10K and up to half-marathon as I can within my schedule (and without driving all over creation) and then saving the 5K’s until I’ve at least done some hill work. I have everything set up to run the Tulsa Run and my goal is to break an hour (a lofty goal considering I barely edged under 1:05 this year). Well thats what I’ve got.

Bart

Hereโ€™s my race schedule for this Winter/Spring:

January 31 – local 10K (finished in 40:22)

February 13 – local 10K

February 27 โ€“ Mardi Gras Half Marathon

March 12 โ€“ local 5K

March 26 โ€“ Crescent City Classic 10K (overly crowded race that makes it hard to run a good time)

April 2 โ€“ local 5K

April 17 โ€“ local 5K

May 7 โ€“ local 5K

The only one of these races that Iโ€™m specifically training for is the Mardi Gras Half Marathon. Iโ€™m hoping to run at 6:40 pace, which I believe will get me to the finish at 1:27:20. Iโ€™m hoping general fitness will get me a sub-40 10K and a sub-19 5K. My current PRs are 40:22 (set last weekend) and 19:13 (set last April).

I also plan on running a fall marathon. Iโ€™m hoping it will be the Towpath Marathon (near Cleveland), but there are two variables that have to be worked out before I can commit to this race. One is that Iโ€™m due to transfer this summer, and I still donโ€™t know where Iโ€™m going. The second is the funding.

Bart

The only races I currently have planned for the Spring are the Silver Comet Ultra in Atlanta on 02/19 (This replaces the Guana 50K which got postponed until April)

Then the Gate River Run on March 12.

Then ????

Double

I will be there running the 100k on 2/19.

Anonymous
    Bart wrote:
    Hereโ€™s my race schedule for this Winter/Spring:

April 2 โ€“ local 5K

Is that the bridge run in St. Charles Parish? It used to be about that time of the year. The only race in New Orleans with a hill. The second hill is a killer. You think it’s all down hill when you get to the top, then you have to go back up over the railroad tracks.

Funny thing….when I lived there, less than three years ago, I thought people who ran the Crescent City Classic were crazy. Who wants to run 6 miles? ๐Ÿ˜†

SwampTiger

Guest is me….forgot to log in.

Bart
    Anonymous wrote:
    Is that the bridge run in St. Charles Parish? It used to be about that time of the year. The only race in New Orleans with a hill. The second hill is a killer. You think it’s all down hill when you get to the top, then you have to go back up over the railroad tracks.

Funny thing….when I lived there, less than three years ago, I thought people who ran the Crescent City Classic were crazy. Who wants to run 6 miles? ๐Ÿ˜†

No. The bridge run is on April 2, but I’m planning on running the Fat Boy 5K in Baton Rouge that day.

Here’s what I’m thinking:

3/6 Newark Distance Classic 20k

3/20 Equinox 20k

4/3 Scotland Run 10k

4/18 Boston Marathon

Anonymous

Cullen – if the weather is good, which it appears to be. Will train thru, which means a 12 miler on Thursday.

Shamrock Sprint- Maybe. A soft race

Strider 1/2 Marathon – Target race. Go for PR

EFW 5K – Fund raiser for Tosa schools. Soft race

Green Bay Marathon

Ryan
    Keymaster
    sveumrunner wrote:
    Strider 1/2 Marathon – Target race. Go for PR

What would a PR be? I’ve got this one in the back of my mind as a possible NYCM auto-entry (1:15:00) attempt or, if all goes well, maybe a PR (1:13:43) attempt. If I decide to attempt either, though, it will be interesting to see how the attempt goes off nothing but base training.

NYCM standards have changed. You only need to run 2:50 or 1:21.

Check out the link:

http://www.ingnycmarathon.org/entrantinfo/applyfor2005.html

Ryan
    Keymaster

Man, I wonder how they came up with those times. It made sense that the half marathon guaranteed entry time was harder than the full marathon guaranteed entry time. Now, they make the full time 5 minutes slower and the half time a full 6 minutes slower? Now, the half time is easier than the full time.

Oh well, I guess it’s no sweat to get a guaranteed entry now. All I have to do is run a half by May 1 and I’m in. Of course, that’s assuming I want to do NYCM.

Ed 1

Found a 10K 4 weeks out from the Green Bay marathon – The Deer Run. 23 APR 05 start time 9:00 AM ๐Ÿ™‚

I hope this link works.

http://205.147.231.71/DisplayEvent.asp?RaceID=37085&MagID=RW

Peter
    Ryan wrote:
    Man, I wonder how they came up with those times. It made sense that the half marathon guaranteed entry time was harder than the full marathon guaranteed entry time. Now, they make the full time 5 minutes slower and the half time a full 6 minutes slower? Now, the half time is easier than the full time.

Times for Masters have gotten easier too. From sub 3:00 to 3:05 for the full, and from sub 1:24 to sub 1:28 for the 1/2. I ought to be able to do a 1:27xx half this year.

It’s not as if the NYCM has any problem getting entrants. Weird….

NYCM has had a rough history supporting “sub elites” but they are aware of the problems and I expect things will improve. The’ve had some problems with the start i.e. people lining up in the wrong spots

Lots to deal with when you consider the logistics of starting on a major NYC bridge but expect some improvements. All in all NYC is an amazing experience.

Ryan
    Keymaster
    Peter wrote:
    It’s not as if the NYCM has any problem getting entrants. Weird….

Well, I understand having the guaranteed entry qualifying times because they do want to make sure the “faster” (however you define that term) runners do not have to go through the lottery. It’s a way to ensure that those who can finish relatively near the front can run if they want to run. Maybe this is just a way of ensuring that more spots are filled by these “faster” runners. I suppose, with the direction that marathoning has been going recently, another possibility is that they are trying to keep the number of people entering through these standards the same and they needed to loosen the standards to do that.

The only part I don’t get is by how much the loosened the half marathon standard. 6 minutes slower for the half marathon standard, especially when the full marathon standard is 5 minutes slower, seems extreme.

Peter
    Ryan wrote:
    The only part I don’t get is by how much the loosened the half marathon standard. 6 minutes slower for the half marathon standard, especially when the full marathon standard is 5 minutes slower, seems extreme.

Maybe it’s because the 1/2 standards were alot tougher before they changed it. I just plugged in 1:21 and 1:28 into Merv’s calendar, and they came out predicticting almost exactly at 2:50 and 3:05 for the 26.22 distance. Not sure if it’s accurate, as the calculator on this site has those 1/2 times computing out to slightly faster marathons (sub 2:49 and 3:03), but interesting nonetheless.

Ryan
    Keymaster
    Peter wrote:
    Maybe it’s because the 1/2 standards were alot tougher before they changed it.

As I believe they should be. If you’re trying to qualify for a marathon with a half marathon time, you should be held to a higher standard.

Peter wrote:
    I just plugged in 1:21 and 1:28 into Merv’s calendar, and they came out predicticting almost exactly at 2:50 and 3:05 for the 26.22 distance. Not sure if it’s accurate, as the calculator on this site has those 1/2 times computing out to slightly faster marathons (sub 2:49 and 3:03), but interesting nonetheless.

The thing is both are making that dangerous assumption that one is equally well trained for both events. When it comes to the marathon, this can be a dangerous assumption. Even using Merv’s calculator (I’d be interested in knowing what formula it uses) how many 1:21 or 1:28 half marathon runners do you know how can run 2:50 or 3:05?

Zeke
    Ryan wrote:
    how many 1:21 or 1:28 half marathon runners do you know how can run 2:50 or 3:05?

My half from last weekend puts me right in the middle of 1:21 and 1:28. Using that logic, I’d need to run halfway between 2:50 and 3:05. I think a 2:57:30 would be reasonable for the same I’m in.

In any case, thanks for the info, Steve. I always had 2:45 as a goal in the back of my mind in order to “qualify” for NYC. I guess I can either discard that goal or find another reason to go after 2:45. Hmmm, last year my college roommate ran 2:45:00 at Green Bay. Maybe that’s motivation enough.

Anonymous

What would a PR be? I’ve got this one in the back of my mind as a possible NYCM auto-entry (1:15:00) attempt or, if all goes well, maybe a PR (1:13:43) attempt. If I decide to attempt either, though, it will be interesting to see how the attempt goes off nothing but base training

No where near 1:13. PR = 1:18:07

Anonymous

My half from last weekend puts me right in the middle of 1:21 and 1:28. Using that logic, I’d need to run halfway between 2:50 and 3:05. I think a 2:57:30 would be reasonable for the same I’m in.

In any case, thanks for the info, Steve. I always had 2:45 as a goal in the back of my mind in order to “qualify” for NYC. I guess I can either discard that goal or find another reason to go after 2:45. Hmmm, last year my college roommate ran 2:45:00 at Green Bay. Maybe that’s motivation enough.

Zeke – I ran 2:45:50 last year at GB, must have been right by your roomate. Small world

Run

I just found out that a good local 10 miler falls in line with one of my tune up races about a month before my marathon. The Freehold Area Running clubs annual St Paddys day race is officially added to my spring schedule. Last year I set my current PR; if the conditions are right, I think I have a shot at doing it again this year.

Tim

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.