St Louis Half Marathon Race Report

Welcome! Forums Running Forum St Louis Half Marathon Race Report

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Zeke 14 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Zeke

After watching the women in St. Louis on Saturday, I hung around to run the half marathon on Sunday. Going into the race, the McMillan calculator said I should be able to run a 1:26:14, based on my last 8K race. Looking at the course map, it didn’t look very hilly. However, there were a couple of long gradual hills (note the 6:40+ splits below). I looked at my first 3 splits, then after that I stopped checking them. During the last few miles I thought if I was under 1:27 I’d be happy. So I was pretty pumped to cross the line in 1:25:56 (6:34 pace). That put me 44th overall out of about 2900 people. For you Wisconsites, your women had a fine showing, taking 3 of the top 5 spots.

mile spilt time

1 6:27 6:27

2 6:41 13:08

3 6:21 19:29

4 6:18 25:47

5 6:44 32:31

6 6:31 39:02

7 6:34 45:36

8,9 13:09 58:45

10 6:35 1:05:19

11 6:50 1:12:09

12 6:37 1:18:46

13 6:26 1:25:13

13.1 :43 1:25:56

Jeff

Nice run, Zeke. I’m sure you had a great time down there also.

JEff

cameron

great time! how does it compare to your PR? are you aiming for a specific event this year (ironman)?

Zeke
    Jeff wrote:
    Nice run, Zeke. I’m sure you had a great time down there also.

JEff

Yeah, Saturday was a blast. If I have time I’ll write up a little spectator report of the women’s race.

Cameron wrote:
    great time! how does it compare to your PR? are you aiming for a specific event this year (ironman)?

My PR is 1:20:21 from “back in the day” – right after I graduated from college. My recent best time is 1:23:04. I’m planning on doing a bunch of short races this summer. I’d like to run well at my alumni 5 miler Labor Day weekend and run a fast half in October.

Camel Lung

Talk about “pacing” nightmares….

You probably went by me around [my]3 mile mark, or for sure in Forest Park.

I was running the marathon and after somekind of “split course start” the races came together. So fast half-M runners were overtaking marathoners.

Ive already got “hold-pacing” problems, but everything turned out great after the courses split……..then if people passed you – you knew they were great runners, or just stupid…..

Good job on the race, I think there were a lot of quality runners doing the Half, tuning for Boston. So your position was hard won.

Ryan
    Keymaster
    Zeke wrote:
    If I have time I’ll write up a little spectator report of the women’s race.

If you do so, I might be interested in preserving it under the Olympic Trials coverage section of the website. I’m working on a spectator report myself that I might get around to posting there this evening.

BTW: Good run. I couldn’t imagine running a half after all the running/walking/standing I did Saturday.

Zeke
    Camel Lung wrote:
    I was running the marathon and after somekind of “split course start” the races came together. So fast half-M runners were overtaking marathoners.

Camel Lung, How did your race go?

Yeah, I forgot to mention that part about the course in my report. The half and the full started at the same time, but in two different locations. The half runners had to run about 6 blocks before getting to the road where the marathoners started. So about 3 or 4 minutes into the race we start catching marathoners. Luckily we were on a 4 lane road and the whole thing was blocked off. We finally split from the marthoners just before the 7 mile marker. It was nice to finally see who you were racing against. I actually got more focused after that point.

I’ll mention this too because I think word of mouth is the best (or worst) advertising. The packet pickup at this race was the worst I’ve ever seen. There was a main room with all the expo exhibits and the line to get your shirt. After standing in line for about 5 minutes I realized there was another line leading into a different room. That room had a line for packets and a line for numbers/chips, which we had to pick up first. After waiting in line for my packet for about 10 minutes I realized there was nothing of significance in the packet and decided to not get mine and I jumped into the number/chip line. Oh, the reason the packet line was moving so slowly was because they were stuffing them as people came up. Anyway, I got my number and chip, then headed back to the shirt line again. So to make a long story longer, they had 3 lines to accomplish what they could have in 1. And to make matters worse, there was no one there to direct anyone to the line they needed to go to first.

Zeke

If you do so, I might be interested in preserving it under the Olympic Trials coverage section of the website.

Ryan,

My report is written. Do you want me to post it or just email it to you?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Zeke, whichever you prefer. I have my report written also and will most likely proofread it and then place it on the website this evening. If you would like to post it on the forum before then, feel free to. I can cut and paste it into a webpage from that point.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.