Staying Focused

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Staying Focused

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  ksrunner 13 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

ksrunner
    Participant

I got interested in running again about 4.5 years ago. I am actually more motivated and competitive now than I was when I was in college. I’ve noticed a tendency to just throw in the towel whenever something doesn’t go right with my training and start focusing on the next season or next year. With this approach, I’ve never been completely happy with my results.

This year, I caught myself doing the same thing. This spring, I am training for short races 5K down to 800m. The race that I’d like to do best in is the 1 mile. They are all part of Kansas City Corporate Challenge. In February and March, I had some lapses and missed some workouts. The lapses were basically mental. Fortunately, during the week, I usually cannot just skip a workout because I run to and from work, but I can choose an easier workout and it is easy to skip weekends. After the lapses, I caught myself beginning to look to next year. Instead, I have refocused on my spring races. The first race is this weekend and my goal race is the first or second week of June. This weekend’s race is a four mile race — mostly down hill. This will provide a fair estimate of my current fitness.

So, how do you stay focused on their upcoming races after lapses or setbacks? In the past, it has been easy for me to just say, well, I wasted this season, I guess I’d better start thinking about next year. My other question, is how do you avoid the lapses in the first place? I see that Ed1 posts weekly reports and gets a lot of good support. I might try that if I could avoid boring everyone.

In writing this, I think that perhaps the best way to avoid the lapses is to focus on the events that provide me with excuses. The main problem is if I do not get enough sleep. That is something totally within my control.

Anyway, thanks for reading and thanks for any ideas on maintaining focused and avoiding lapses.

Steve

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.