Strider 20K – A Tale of Two 10K’s

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Strider 20K – A Tale of Two 10K’s

This topic contains 14 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  pski 14 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

cameron

Well…i whirled through the first 10K in roughly 40:41, leaving me with a 44:50 for a 2nd 10K. Conditions were soupy at best with very high humidity. ugh… 🙄

SPLITS

1 – 6:15.0

2 – 6:30.2

3 – 6:28.6

4 – 6:37.5

5 – 6:43.7

6 – 6:41.7

7 – 6:47.7

8 – 6:59.9

9 – 7:16.4

10 – 7:24.6

11 – 7:19.7

12 – 7:25.8

.4 – 3:00.2

1:25:31.0

HR DATA – Average – 184 (At 32 I can still “get it up” – :lol:)

Anonymous

Cam,

Same deal with me. Almost everyone I know, other than Tupta and Dalton had a weak last 4- 5 miles.

6:01

5:57

5:59

6:06

6:03

6:07

6:22

6:19

6:29

6:22

2:36

I’ll take it considering the weather, figuring if it would have been better conditions I would have been able to keep runnig the 6 flats.

Milrunner aka M.Sveum

Double

There were some good efforts out there Saturday. Tupta and Dalton ran awesome under the oppressive conditions. For me, I was out in 5:54 and the 2nd mile was 5:58. Outside of 5 in 30:02 and 9 in 54:50 that’s all I remember.

At 4 I was seriously contemplating life. I had to back down and regroup myself. At about 6 I was just trying to go mile to mile until 9 or 10 where I felt I could gut it in. Fortunately, I found a little something and had the extra bonus of having bodies right in front of me. I wasn’t looking at splits, I was just trying to get to people.

That was all I had, there wasn’t anything left. It’s easy to get discouraged, but I’ve been training at 50-60 degrees mainly and it was my biggest mileage week in a half year. I didn’t like feeling slow, but the cummalitive effect of hard training and heat/humidity played the trump card.

I darn near caved in, but I knew I couldn’t bare the consequences of that action.

Anonymous

Well D.D. I did cave feeling really bummed . I started strong at 6:24 pace feeling in control until mile 6 . At that point I dropt to 7:15 pace through 10. My last 2.4 miles time was 18:42 🙁

Whats up with this old man I think I am through (All washed up) I will leave the hard work to you pros. I am just a ave. Joe

Later

Kooch

Double

Kooch,

What you need is a year of consistent training. My advice will always be the same. Try and run at least a little bit 5-6 days a week. If you could ever manage 40-50 mile weeks for 6 months you would be a force. Once you establish that level, all you would need is a couple months of 60-70 and you could compete competitively at any distance up to 50 miles. That’s never been a question.

Anonymous

Thanks for the encouragement Dave.I have realy tryed to stay on track this year training with some direction .

Looking on the bright side I ran strong for 6 miles with my 10 mile split just 15 sec. slower than Cudahay. With 3 weeks off and 80 miles in 10 days prior to the 20-k that ‘s not bad.

Later

Kooch

pski

Yeah, I’m somewhat disappointed in the damn weather man. Nothing but cool this summer then wham, warm and HUMID for the 20k. Knowing any time or PR was certainly out the window, I told myself to just go out and race hard and let the chips fall where they may. I’ll have to go by memory, but I should be close.

6:13

6:16

6:19

6:24

6:28

6:32

6:34

6:36

6:45

6:55

6:54

7:00

2:57

1:21.36 or Ave 6:34

Just a race of attrition. Considering I came through 10 in under 1:05 is a great sign for me as conditons were more like Cudahy and I’m 9 weeks away here. That’s good becasue that’s usually my Cudahy time in the heat enroute to 2:50. Only time will tell if I can squeeze this out again. DD is right, there was a lot of gutsy racing going on. DD failed to mention he nosed a guy at the wire by 1 second to win the age group! WALZ trucked in right behind him in well under a minute for second in his 35-39 age group, beat only by former Lakefront winner Randy Damkot. I can also say this 20k is about 4 minutes faster than last year when I was enroute to 2:57. Hate to ramble but I need some motivation myself today. Cameron, coming out with me was brave, and my hat is off to Erhardt and Kirschbaum, racing smart, laying inthe weeds and leaving me gasping for dear life. PSKI

Anonymous

Pski,

Are you running your long run this Saturday or Sunday? When? How far?

I looks like I’m throwing my hat in for the Philly Marathon (11-21) which means getting my long runs up to 20 pronto (past few weeks 15-17miles for long runs).

I’m already commited to running Tosa Fest, which means I have run long on Sunday.

Matt S

Double

Matt,

Pski, Walz, myself and possibly Cameron and a few others will run 20 on Sunday. I’m guessing at about 6 AM, but Pski is the master.

Anonymous

Dave and Matt,

Aren’t you still going to be drunk from Tosafest at 6am?

Anonymous

6a will be much to early as I do plan to knock a few back after the race.

I was hoping to hear you’d be running in the afternoon.

Double

Afternoon running is for the upper crust. The blue collar runners run early. Remember, champions adjust; the only one who limits you is yourself. See your future, be your future. The first one up is the best one dressed. Club sandwiches not seals.

Anonymous

Oh, I do my share of running in the morning. I was up today at 4:45a to get 12 in.

Looks like me pski are the kid run volunteers at Tosa.

What will it be DD, 16:30? I’ll take just about anything under 17 considering my week will(is) the below, and my fricking legs are still sore from Saturday. It’s like marathon quad soreness

M 6E

T 12GA

W 6E

T 12-15 LR

F 0

S Tosa (6 total)

S 20

Double

I think 16:30 is a pipe dream, but am anxious to see how much bank time the first mile gives you. I’ve watched a few Tosa Fest runs, but have never ran it. I don’t do a lot of short races and this is my first 5k since Bob Cross in 2002. Still it is only a few miles so should be able to suck it up.

Does anyone have a best strategy on how to race this course?

pski

DD, I’ve yet to figure out any 5k race!! I’d guess go out fast as hell and try to die as slow as possible.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.