Suggestions needed

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Suggestions needed

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Mark 13 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Mark

I have not been able to run for about 8 weeks due to severe pain in my heal. I went to the doctor today and I have a fracture. A piece of the bone is no longer connected. I am scheduled for an MRI to see more detail. The fracture is directly at the point where the Achilles tendon connects to the bone. The bone fragment may be attached the tendon.

My doctor, who also is a runner, has told me not to run, ride, hike or even walk with any intensity. Due to the fact that it might cause a problem with the tendon.

What I am looking for are suggestions on other aerobic type activities that don’t require feet. No pool available either.

Mark

GTF

That must mean the pain is localized in the heel. Access to a pool would be ideal, it would be a smart idea to really investigate all local options to that end, such as rec centers, colleges, and health clubs. If there truly is no accessible pool within 15 miles or so, a stationary bike would likely be the only other viable option.

By the way, has it been determined just what exactly caused such an injury?

Ryan
    Keymaster

As GTF mentioned, if at all possible, a pool would be the most viable option. You could try a bike but I’d wonder if that would also aggrivate the heel. Just take a look at the legs of any competitive cyclist and you’ll notice that they work their calf muscles and, by extension, achilles tendons pretty hard. The other option if you have access to a fitness center with this type of equipment would be (possibly) a rowing machine or a hand bike. Again, I’m not sure if the rowing machine would aggrivate your heel but a hand bike, while being pure torture in my mind, is purely an upper body exercise. You could get in some aerobic work on one of those without doing anything below the waist other than stabilizing yourself.

GTF

That is right, a hand bike would be the next best option. However, a rowing machine would be apt to exert more pressure on the feet than a stationary cycle, which can be set at a very low (almost no) resistance. Pro cyclists basically get those calves from out-of-the-saddle climbing or acceleration (aka sprints) — stationary cycling in the saddle with very little resistance is almost purely an upper-leg exercise and exerts very little pressure on the lower legs or feet, certainly in comparison with a rowing machine which requires repetitive pushing with the feet, though even pressure that light may prove to be enough to aggravate the injury.

Mark

GTF, we are not certain what caused the injury in my heel although heal is what I need it to do. It may be an impact injury or over use. The MRI will give us a better idea. There was not a single point that I can identify as the time it happened.

I will look into joining a local health club for the pool. I just would rather not spend the money if I did not need to. However, since I do not know how long I will be unable to run it may be the best option.

As for a bike of any kind, the doctor said no. Too much repetitive motion. Maybe after the MRI is completed.

Mark

Ryan
    Keymaster
    Mark wrote:
    As for a bike of any kind, the doctor said no. Too much repetitive motion.

If that’s the case, I’d think pretty much anything but the pool or a hand bike would be out of the question. I can’t think of anything else that wouldn’t be a repetitive motion involving the foot/lower leg in some way.

Anonymous

You could try calling local high schools or middle schools many of them have open swim times for lap swimmers.

Zeke

What about an elliptical machine? I was just one on and all my weight was on my toes – not my heals.

Ryan
    Keymaster
    Zeke wrote:
    What about an elliptical machine? I was just one on and all my weight was on my toes – not my heals.

I’m just working under an assumption that I’ve been under all along and maybe should have asked about but, if the broken part of the bone is attached to a tendon and especially if it is something along the line of the achilles tendon, I’m guessing Mark’s doctor wants him placing as little weight as possible on his toes.

Mark

Ryan said: I’m guessing Mark’s doctor wants him placing as little weight as possible on his toes.

That is correct. walking is to be kept to a minimum.

The swimming seems to be the best option for now. I will just hae to join a health club.

Thanks, Mark

GTF
    Zeke wrote:
    What about an elliptical machine? I was just one on and all my weight was on my toes – not my heals. Even if there were no weight on the heels, that would still mean that there would be significant (and essentially constant) weight on the feet and thus the calves (and thus the achilles tendons) would have to be in tension.

Zeke

Oops I said “heals” too.

Maybe you could learn to stand on your hands and “run” that way.

Mark

Sounds good Zeke! 😆

Do you know of any races like that?

Mark

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.