Supplements

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Supplements

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Scattershot 14 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Scattershot

Supplements are a big deal in the arena of powerlifting/olympic lifting. I’m not talking about steroids (but there’s a lot of that, too), I mean legal substances specifically designed to improve your athletic performance. I was wondering if anyone around here uses (something)/(a lot of somethings) to either keep themselves going or improve their performance, what they might be and why.

Personally, I use one item, a “post-workout” recovery shake that is something of a holdover from my lifting days, but I’ve found it works very well for me mid- and post-run. It’s called Surge (not the soda :)) and is made and distributed exclusively by Biotest (http://tstore.biotestedge.com/index.jsp). I ran my career long-distance of 14 miles almost a month ago and used Surge during and after. It has an anabolic effect mid-workout which seems to carry over to running quite well, at least in my case. There’s no caffeine in it whatsoever but it felt like a serious jolt everytime I downed a serving of it. It’s loaded with BCAAs to replenish muscle glycogen which is probably why. It runs for $21 for a two-pound bottle of 20 scoops (two scoops/serving, they recommend).

More info on Surge can be found here:

http://www.t-mag.com/nation_articles/265post2.html

It reads a bit like a sales pitch, but John Berardi is a nutritional god among men in the arena of athletic performance.

I have a question, actually. Many posts on here refer to “gels” or “gel packs”. What are these?

ferris

Gel Packs….I’d say that they are pretty much the semi-liquid form of a PowerBar or Cliff Bar. Usually about 100 calories per pack. They are meant to be taken in during the run…hence the reason they are gel and not just a grainy old energy bar that you’d have to choke down without water, or beer!

They usually fit in those little pockets on the running shorts and you’ll see them all over the ground at any longer race.

I take desicated liver pills, 1000 mg Cs, 1000 iu E, 2000 mg Flax Oil, 1 Tablespoon of Blackstrap molassis, bananas and a multi-vit.

Along with a healthy diet, works well for me.

Scattershot

Flax oil, multi-vitamins and eating clean are favorites among the lifting crowd as well. I’ve never tried flax oil but I hear it tastes like nothing good.

I heard something interesting about multi-vitamins the other day. Someone was having a debate on what constitutes a “good” MV and said, “When push comes to shove, pretty much all of the ones that require you to take them three times a day are good.” Apparently the reasoning is that the body will take what it needs from a dose and excrete the rest, so if you’re taking a MV once a day it’s not doing as much for you as if it were broken down to a few times per day. I can’t substantiate this with any science, I just happened on a conversation regarding it, but it *seems* to make sense.

r-at-work

the only thing I’ve read about MV that has worried me is that the fat-soluble vitamins hang around in your body MUCH longer than the water soluble ones… supposedly you can over dose on the fat soluble ones and some peole have REAL problems with vitamins A & D…

-Rita

My Sister In Law once told me that I was not aging well and I had a face of a Farmer’s Wife.

I kinda panicked and shopped around for a remedy. Someone told me that Flax oil was good for my skin and my wrinkles will disapear and I will look younger.

I have been taking Flax oil for over a year, not sure if I look any different. πŸ˜₯

Scattershot

I haven’t heard of that. Doesn’t mean it’s false, but in all the articles I’ve seen on flax I’ve never seen anything relating to it’s use for wrinkles.

It would be nice if it could be absorbed through skin for nutritional purposes, though. The only reason I never used it is that seasoned body builders and powerlifters alike have trouble choking it down. John Berardi (a nutritional god among men, if I’ve not mentioned him before) recently wrote, “I use plain flax oil either in shakes or straight from a spoon β€” both ingestion methods allow me to quickly down this rather unpalatable liquid. I don’t like the plain version in salads as it just prolongs the agony.” For the time being, I’ll take my chances without it. πŸ˜‰

Camel Lung
    Scattershot wrote:
    I heard something interesting about multi-vitamins the other day. Someone was having a debate on what constitutes a “good” MV and said, “When push comes to shove, pretty much all of the ones that require you to take them three times a day are good.”

It’s interesting, that each vitamin user will take into consideration a particular logic or reasoning regarding supplementation and apply it to their situation.

For example, if indeed, a person did have deficiency in a given nutrient, and the multi-vitamin they take once a day did not correct the situation, why would “splitting up” the dosage over several pills improve their condition? Would not the same factors causing deficiency be present during the other “extra” pill-popping sessions?

Just wondering?

Ryan
    Keymaster
    Camel Lung wrote:
    For example, if indeed, a person did have deficiency in a given nutrient, and the multi-vitamin they take once a day did not correct the situation, why would “splitting up” the dosage over several pills improve their condition? Would not the same factors causing deficiency be present during the other “extra” pill-popping sessions?

Another thing to consider. If taking one supplement a day is enough to balance a deficiency that you have, spreading out the supplementation could cause an overdosage. For example, I have had iron deficiency problems in the past. I take one iron supplement a day and, along with dietary changes, this has led to sustaining my iron levels in an appropriate range. If I were to take a supplement that required me to take it 3 times a day, even if the total daily dosage was the same, it would be possible that I would end up overdosing on iron, which can be just as dangerous as low iron levels. FWIW, my doctors have been guiding my supplementation from the very beginning and have been telling me exactly what to take and how to take it. I have to believe they know what they are doing and the results I have seen support this belief.

Out of curiosity, I know there are at least a couple of medical professionals on this forum. I’d be interested to hear their thoughts on this whole topic.

Scattershot

Chronic deficiencies are a beast that I can’t speak to, unfortunately. My experience with MVs is for supplementation during cutting phases, not to remedy a particular deficiency.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.