$#!T!!!!

Welcome! Forums Running Forum $#!T!!!!

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Janus 11 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Janus

After a mere 2.5 miles today and only 17.5 this week, I have to come to terms with the fact that my knee is f*#ked!  :-

I've been putting it off for too long now, gunna try to swallow some pride and see a doctor

Chris

That's too bad.  I know about 8 people that were going to run Grandma's this year.  We are down to 3.  I have 1250 miles since the first of the year and my left knee is also….in rough shape.  Today was the first run I've missed since starting the Pfitz 18/70 plan.  I'm looking at it as an extended and amplified taper.  I'll be ready to fly come next Saturday.  After that maybe see the doctor…doh ::)

Keep your head up.  I'm trying as hard as I can also. 

Ryan
    Keymaster

See a doctor. It might not even be a big deal but, without seeing the right person who can diagnose it and get you on the path to treatment, not a big deal can turn into a big deal. If you see a doctor in time, it could turn into essentially nothing. If you don't, it could turn into a real big deal.

Janus

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure it's already a “big deal.”  I'm usually a pretty good judge of personal ailments or whatever, and I think I can generally distinguish between standard aches/pains and serious problems….sadly, I'm pretty sure this is the latter. 

I've barely been running for half a year now, but I've made tremendous progress and established some very lofty goals.  All I could think about what how much I was looking forward to training my heart out this summer in preparation for the Chicago Marathon….. If I'm precluded from working towards those goals and ultimately accomplishing them, crushed and devastated would be a kind words for describing how I would feel.

r-at-work

hopefully you can find a doctor who can tell you what kind of cross-training you can do to keep the conditioning you have worked hard to get…I was lucky, when I did my ITB to find an orthopedist (sp?) who's wife was a triathlete & the first thing he told me was that if I cross-trained while in therapy he wouldn't tell me that I had to STOP running… just postpone it for a bit… ::)

so here's hoping you can channel that energy, recoup and take another run (pun intended) at your goals… and don't forget to take it a bit easier when you start back up…
    -Rita

Ryan
    Keymaster

Like I stated, I know how hard it can be. In 2003, after spending over a decade working toward a goal and committing to it in a way that very few people could fully see or understand, I thought it was all over for me. Needless to say, no words could describe where I was for a while.

I also thought I was a very good judge of injuries. I seriously thought I had a serious knee issue. As it turns out, the knee pain was a symptom of something else that fortunately was not nearly as serious as something that was in the knee. Keep your spirits up until you get an official diagnosis and are on your path back to recovery.

Anonymous

..how do i say this bluntly but still nicely (my own pig headedness and stupidity don't allow me much sympathy)…… suck it up..go to the doctor and set some new goals…..many moons ago i was in a car accident after being a decent mid distance runner……i pretty much didn't/couldn't run for 2 yrs (back problems/spasms)….i never packed it in and for some reason kept on going, but i had to re-evaluate my goals and expectations….. in the end it was the best stupid decision i ever made as sicne that time I've had a chance to have some great expereiecnes and supersede my own expectatins (although now as a much older 5-1/2 marathon runner…dare i say marathon….ugghh…)…what am i saying…..create soem new short and long term goals, deal with your injury and move on to some new learning experiences…trust me…get thru it…learn from it and in the end it shows a helluva lot of charatcer and and it is soemthing you'll never regret….better to have been 'i took my chance' (and suceeded or failed) than a 'coulda, woulda, shoulda'…..

Janus

Well, I went to the doctor this morning and he told me I had ITBS  :'(  He wrote me a perscription for an anti-inflamitory and told me to get physical therapy. I'm can't even begin to explain how distraught I am over this.  Is running Chicago in Oct totally out of the question?!? 

I hate bitching and whining, but I'm just indescribably frustrated right now. 🙁  Has anyone been diagnosed with this before? What was your treatment like? Were you able to overcome it? Will I have to accept the fact that distance running isnt in the cards for me?!?!

Ryan
    Keymaster

ITBS doesn't have to be that serious. I've never had it but I know several people who have. I believe there are at least a few people here have had it so I'll let them fill you in with the details but I definitely can say that I have watched people run through this once having it under control, which didn't take long, and have done well.

In my mind, this shoud be considered good news. ITBS is fairly common, not too serious, and very treatable. I'd expect you to be back to full strength relatively quickly at this point.

r-at-work

been there, done that… if you do everything right Chicago is not out of the question… as Ryan said, ITBS is the most treatable runner issue… get thee to a pool and water jog… google ITB and follow all the stretches that they have on line, ask your PT for more, do them ALL the time… I think your shoes are new (right), never run in really run down shoes, lay off the track work (turning in not good), do not run on the camber of the road… or at least change sides on the road & direction on the track…

I was told biking & stair stepper were not the best for recouperating ITBS but elliptical seemed to work well for me… don't do anything that HURTS… good luck… if you can keep your fitness up while it mends you should be fine in the fall… I have not had any reoccurance but I stretch a lot, sometimes 3 times a day… at least last thing every night…
    -Rita

Anonymous

ITB is an extremely common condition, and hits all ages. And, with good Physical theraphy, stretching, and anti-inflammatories (ask about piroxicam) you should be back in no time. It was painful enough for me to drop out at the 18 mile mark (after hobbling for a few miles) at a July marathon last year; ran in October of the same year to a PR. Have run three so far this year without any problems. But–I stretch the ITB every day without fail.

Ryan is right–this is very treatable.

Janus

Everyone's words are VERY encouraging (I just hope they prove true).

I've been using the eliptical and swimming…but I've  heard you guys talk about water jogging on several occasions. What exactly does it entail?

Ryan
    Keymaster

A good guide to water running by Pete Pfitzinger. If it doesn't aggrivate the ITB, it would probably be the best workout you could do to maintain running fitness until you're back to running on solid ground.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.