Team USA arrives in Mombasa for World C-C Championships

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Team USA arrives in Mombasa for World C-C Championships

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 11 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

MOMBASA, Kenya – Team USA's 16-athlete delegation arrived in Mombasa late Monday night and held its first workout in preparation for Saturday's IAAF World Cross Country Championships, at the Mombasa Golf Course.

The team ran through a light workout this afternoon at a nearby Bamburi Park after spending the last two days traveling from the United States.

“While the terrain at the park was varied, running there was a good way to get away from the heat,” said senior men's team member Zach Sabatino from Morgantown, W.V., describing the team's first workout in Kenya.

“Everyone who made the trip is excited to be here,” said Sabatino, who finished sixth at the USA Cross Country Championships in Boulder last month to earn his place on Team USA.

The final list of athletes representing Team USA here for the IAAF World Cross Country Championships are as follows:

Senior men (12 km race): Fasil Bizuneh (Flagstaff, Arizona); Matt Gabrielson (Apple Valley, Minnesota); Celedonio Rodriguez (Alamosa, Colorado); Martin Rosendahl (Rochester, Michigan); Zach Sabatino (Morgantown, West Virginia); Ryan Shay (East Jordan, Michigan); Michael Spence (Ogden, Utah).

Senior women (8 km race): Mary Duerbeck (Henderson, Nevada); Cack Ferrell (Eugene, Oregon); Renee Metivier Baillie (Boulder, Colorado); Katherine Newberry (Williamsburg, Virginia).

Junior men (8 km race): Noel Bateman (New Rochelle, New York); Joshua Edmonds (Lynchburg, Virginia); Kenny Klotz (Eugene, Oregon); Ryan McNiff (Alamosa, Colorado); Matt Tebo (Albuquerque, New Mexico).

Team USA will not field a junior women's team in 2007.

For more information on the 35th IAAF World Cross Country Championships, please visit http://www.usatf.org.

GTF

Team USA will not field a junior women's team in 2007.

No explanation?  A team was named as of March 1, what happened between then and now?

Ryan
    Keymaster

I wish I could find the answer to that. I looked around for it and couldn't find any explanation from the USATF. I can't imagine why they wouldn't field a team at all.

GTF

I e-mailed Jill Geer, the contact indicated with the release on the website, last night but have received no response just yet.  I can imagine why they might not field a team of junior women, but to send no junior women at all seems most unfortunate of all.  They should at the very least send just Hasay and/or Ryan to get some international racing seasoning.

GTF

Just received the e-mail response:
    “Too many athletes withdrew, for various reasons, so we weren’t able to field a team.”
    That was assumed to be the case, but it is odd that enough would commit initially and then would back out.  Again, it would even seem worthwhile to send 1-3 individuals, just to get some international experience for the best young US talents.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Indeed, it's understandable that they can't send a full team if too many people pull out. That's out of their control. However, did everyone pull out? Why not let those who wanted to go gain some experience? Who knows, it could help in the development of future senior teams.

GTF

It would not hurt as much as sending nobody could.  In a follow-up, I asked why individuals such as Hasay and Ryan could not go even if a team were not going and was told that both of those two withdrew — I will have to assume that once enough withdrew that there would not be a scoring team that the rest withdrew.  I cannot fathom turning down a chance to compete at World Cross, something that very well could be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for most of these runners — irrational fears likely ruled the day (as they did with so many of those who declined senior team spots) and it was likely the parents of the runners who made that call.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.