Temporary (I hope) change to profiles

Welcome! Forums Non-Running Forum Temporary (I hope) change to profiles

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Ryan 13 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

Due to those who are known as “comment spammers” spamming the forums by registering with their websites in their profiles, I have removed the website field from the registration and profile editor. Eventually, I want to add it back to the profile editor but I will not add it back to the registration form.

What does this mean? Well, currently, you won’t be able to modify the website in your profile at all. That’s the part I want to fix. What will not change is that new members will not be able to add their websites when they register. This is to prevent those spammers. If you are new to the forums and register, in the future, I hope you will be able to add your website to your profile but only after you register, then come back and log in and edit your profile. Spammers won’t bother with that so they will give up. I trust that those of you who truly want to be contributing members won’t find it as too much of a hassle since you will be coming back anyway.

I’m sorry for the inconvenience. I saw a quote about this earlier today. Whenever something good is created, someone always has to come along and take advantage of it for bad purposes.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Good news, bad news, then more good news.

The good news is it was temporary. You can now edit the website portion of your profile again. The bad news is those spammers are really persistent and seemed to have a process to bypass the form that I removed the website from. They were still registering with websites in there. The final piece of good news is that I found a way to block even that. The website field is not in the form and, if a website is entered by any means, the registration is blocked.

Hopefully, this will be the end of the story. At least until the next spam scheme comes along. “Some people can’t see something good without finding a way to ruin it.”

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.