Thursday’s Thrashing.

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Thursday’s Thrashing.

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Ed 1 14 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Ed 1

Well, today again no run but this time I have a god excuse. We had some powerfull T-Storms with non-stop lightning from about 4:30 AM until I left for work at 6:30 AM. Plus school tonight until 10:00 PM. What have others done this fine day or what do you have planned?

Scattershot

After a few days off I’m looking to return to the track tonight for a nice, easy four miles. The thing I have yet to master in running is that I need not set a PR (or a recent one, anyway) every time I hit the road so we’ll see exactly how “nice and easy” it turns out. 🙂

runnerdude

I did a 5.5 miler with a 2.5 mile tempo run this morning to work off that double scoop of French vanilla ice cream from last night!!

fuzzed

thing I have yet to master in running is that I need not set a PR (or a recent one, anyway) every time I hit the road

Good one!! For me that took a few years to get rid of that habit. And it still happens occasionally.

Tonight I am doing a 8 or 9 km sort-of-tempo run a little above marathon pace. Only 8 days to go…

puffintoad

Intervals for me. I’ve only done intervals twice this spring. For a 10K on the 6th or a 5-mile on the 12th, and half marathon on the 19th, are 400’s or 800’s better? Or shall I try both today?

JCWrs

Do the 800’s. Anything above 5K usually calls for 800’s or further for intervals in my experience. Doing a couple 400’s wont hurt you, but focus on 800’s or even Mile repeats especially if you are going to go for the longer races (over 10K).

r-at-work

today’s little box on my schedule said 8 accelerations after 20 minute warm up, and of course there was a cool down… ended up to be about 5 miles since I didn’t plan very well at the end…

first time I’ve done this type of a work out… kinda fun… even though I’ve run since 1991 I’ve not done much focused speed work .. did intervals with a club last year and that’s about it…

-Rita

JCWrs

Did 6 tonight…feeling pretty tired (I guess I’m not used to running 3 days in a row anymore…how terrible is that?), but I got it done in a little under 47:00 and, as is my focus these days, I took it out nice and slow and came on at the end so I’m happy. Maybe one of these days I’ll be back to running real mileage.

puffintoad

Thanks for the advice on the 800s. I did 5. It was 20 degrees warmer than yesterday, a sweltering 65 degrees! I got carried away on the fourth interval because I just had to pass the lady who was bundled up in black tights. Is there a purpose for wearing pants in sunny 65-degree weather?

Zeke
    puffintoad wrote:
    Is there a purpose for wearing pants in sunny 65-degree weather?

Maybe for a fashion statement or to cover up the cellulite.

Scattershot

I got in my four last night. They certainly were nice and easy! My average was 13:22 which is atrocious even for me, but it was good to just get out there, do it, and enjoy it after my exhaustion over the past three or four days. I’m looking for five today, six tomorrow and seven on Saturday for a total of 22 miles for the week.

runnerdude
    JCWrs wrote:
    Do the 800’s. Anything above 5K usually calls for 800’s or further for intervals in my experience. Doing a couple 400’s wont hurt you, but focus on 800’s or even Mile repeats especially if you are going to go for the longer races (over 10K).

Could you expand on this? I don’t necessarily disagree, but we should remember that different lengths of repeats bring about different effects, e.g. intervals of 800 to 2000 meters are designed to augment VO2Max, while intervals of 400 meters or less are supposed to help sharpen basic speed. It is not inappropriate to do shorter repeats when training for long distance races although you would be correct to assume that someone training for a 1-mile race would do more of 200 meter repeats than someone training for a marathon.

JCWrs

You are correct that he should plan on doing more then one length repeats (I should have mentioned that). My point was that 800’s and longer repeats are more specific to the systems used in racing 10K’s and longer races. Obviously if you are trying to improve your top end speed then you will want to run shorter repeats, but if you are looking for the most race specific speed workout for a 10K or longer then 400’s aren’t really ideal. In fact, as you move beyond 10K 800’s really aren’t ideal either. Many good marathoners do repeats of up to 5K when preparing for their races (though I’m sure they do some shorter repeats as well ie 800’s, miles, or something to that effect). In the case at hand I believe the person would be better served to run 800’s over 400’s, but you raise a good point that a well rounded training plan often includes repeats of various distances. I dont know the specifics well enough to know if 400’s serve any real added purpose that 800’s don’t over 10K+ distances….maybe someone better versed on the subject could fill me in on that?

puffintoad

I picked 800s this time because the other two sessions were 400s. They’re my favorite interval distance. I don’t care for 800s because I have to be careful about my pacing so as not to heave by the end. I always want to start too fast. Yesterday I wasn’t focused on consistency so much as on not overdoing it. Checked my watch at the end and three of the five splits were the same time, down to the second. Must be all that treadmill torture from winter helping out there.

That lady in the tights looked pretty enough not to have to worry about hiding fat. I think she had a thing for her tights. I understand. I have this fetish with cute running tops which defies logic at times. It’s one of those frivolous girly quirks that I’m embarrassed to admit at times, especially when someone catches me wearing my favorite top for the fourth straight day.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.