Thursday’s Thrashing

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Thursday’s Thrashing

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Ed 1 14 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Ed 1

Well, this is an off-day for me so I’m tied for last at best 😉 But what training are you others getting in today?

ferris

6 miles this morning with the dog. I’d love to get in a few more tonight, but I highly doubt it.

peace467

Today at Hart Park I’ll be racing the mile today for the first time in almost 20 years as part of the Roger Bannister anniversary of breaking 4 minutes in the mile. If I break five minutes I’ll be happy.

I’m going to try to keep up the miles, get in four before the race and six after for a total of 11, but I’ll play it by ear. This is a peak mileage week for me, I’d like to hit 70 for the first time in a couple of months, and I’ve been feeling some fatigue this week.

r-at-work

I was going to do a tempo run with some hill repeats but that got changed because I’m racing this weekend… just a 10K… so instead I’ve decided to go out at noon and try out a new hill on a road that was completed in the area near where I work… then some strides, but mostly easy

but I’m really getting excited about Sunday… you see my 16 year old asked me what I wanted for Mothers’ day(we were on the outs last fall)… I told him I wanted him to run the race with me… we used to run races together a lot…actually we ran the same races and he finished WAY ahead of me…

but I told him that this time I wanted him to run with ME…. he said not only would he do that but I had better be prepared for a big PR!.. what could be better… he even told his coach, she approved since I’m so much slower but it’ll get him out for a few miles, and it’s such a cute idea…

what was funny was last week I was standing around talking to some moms who were talking about what they were getting and he popped up with “I’m giving my mom a RABBIT”… so we had to explain… they weren’t as impressed as his coach…. guess you have to be a runner…

Sluggo

Ed 1, it’s been fun w/ the miles game; unfortunately, I’m keeping myself from running due to a calf injury (yeah, yeah, was not listening to my body). Keep up the motivation! 🙂

Today at Hart Park I’ll be racing the mile today for the first time in almost 20 years as part of the Roger Bannister anniversary of breaking 4 minutes in the mile. If I break five minutes I’ll be happy.

Nice article on Bannister today:

The Associated Press

Updated: 1:02 p.m. ET May 06, 2004OXFORD, England – Now a 75-year-old grandfather with a limp, Roger Bannister returned to the track where he ran the world’s first sub-four-minute mile exactly 50 years ago — one of the greatest achievements in sports history.

It was cold and blustery on May 6, 1954, but Thursday was mostly sunny at Oxford’s Iffley Road, where an all-weather synthetic track long ago replaced the cinder surface.

Bannister, with a rosy complexion and a wisp of gray-white hair, appeared at an all-amateur track meet honoring the anniversary. Guards wearing traditional bowler hats welcomed 1,000 fans — about the same number of spectators who saw him run 3 minutes, 59.4 seconds to become the first person to break the fabled four-minute barrier.

Music by Handel was piped over the loudspeaker for Thursday’s events, including an elite mile race.

“This is an extension of the tradition of miling, which goes back right through the last century,” said Bannister, a retired neurologist who lives near the track. “I would have been delighted to run in weather of this kind.”

Fascination endures with the four-minute mark, which many at the time believed was physically impossible.

“It still seems strange to me that the intrinsically simple and unimportant act of placing one foot in front of the other as fast as possible for 1,760 yards was heralded as such an important athletic achievement,” Bannister wrote in his book, “The First Four Minutes.”

“I suppose the appeal lies in its very simplicity, four laps in four minutes — it needs no money, no equipment and, in a world of increasingly complex technology, it stands out as a naive statement about our nature.”

Bannister was the favorite at 1,500 meters entering the 1952 Olympics in Helsinki, Finland. His goal was to win gold and retire to pursue his medical career.

Instead, he finished fourth, thrown off when Olympic officials inserted an extra round of heats, forcing him run three straight days.

The failure prompted him to shelve retirement and pursue the record, which was being chased by many, including American Wes Santee and Australian John Landy.

In an interview with The Associated Press, Bannister recalled: “I thought, ’Well, I can’t leave on this sour note, feeling failure, disappointment, letting people down — letting the country down.’

“I thought, ’I can just go on somehow, combining medicine with my running until ’54, two years.”’

Bannister chose the first meet of the 1954 season — Oxford vs. the Amateur Athletic Union — to attempt to break the record with friends Chris Brasher and Chris Chataway as pacemakers.

The weather was typically English: rainy, cool and blustery. He nearly abandoned the attempt, but around 6 p.m. the wind subsided.

“I calculated there’s a 50-50 chance of my doing it,” Bannister said. “I said, ’If there’s a 50-50 chance and I don’t take it, I may never get another chance to beat Landy to it.’ So I said, ’Let’s do it.”’

Bannister’s record stood for 46 days before Landy ran 3:57.9 in Turku, Finland, on June 21.

On Aug. 9, 1954, they met at the Empire Games in Vancouver, British Columbia, where Bannister defeated Landy in what was called the “mile of the century.” Bannister won in 3:58.8, and Landy finished in 3:59.6.

Bannister, who walks with a limp from a 1975 car accident, still calls it his greatest run.

In his last major race, he won the 1,500 meters in 3:43.8 at the European Games in Berne, Switzerland, on Aug. 29, 1954.

“There is no question in my mind that the drama, excitement and publicity caused by this single race helped form the development of modern athletics,” IAAF president Lamine Diack said at a recent dinner in London honoring Bannister. “And by breaking a barrier that had been considered unbreakable, Roger Bannister had also transcended sport and became an eternal symbol of the limitless possibilities of the human mind and body.”

Bannister figures more than 2,000 runners have broken four minutes since he did it. American Steve Scott did it 137 times, and New Zealand’s John Walker 128.

The current record is 3:43.13 by Morocco’s Hicham El Guerrouj. Set in 1999, the mark has stood longer than most, partially because the distance has given way to the 1,500 meters — known as “the metric mile.”

Bannister figures the mile mark will eventually drop to 3½ minutes, but not for 50 years.

“I think the mile is not dead yet,” he said.

Anonymous
    Sluggo wrote:
    Ed 1, it’s been fun w/ the miles game; unfortunately, I’m keeping myself from running due to a calf injury (yeah, yeah, was not listening to my body). Keep up the motivation! 🙂

I want to make sure I’m understanding this clearly, are you guys saying that without this game you won’t have the motivation to do your training?

Sluggo

I want to make sure I’m understanding this clearly, are you guys saying that without this game you won’t have the motivation to do your training?

No, you have misunderstood. I implied that Ed 1’s motivation is high. I also alluded that his challenges were fun.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.