Time for the US to Step Up and Host a World Championships

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Time for the US to Step Up and Host a World Championships

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew A. 9 years ago.

• Author

Andrew A.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I do think it's time to see a Worlds held in the US. I don't know that it would result in anything like soccer experienced, which I doubt was solely because of FIFA. However, there are a lot of positives that could happen if the Worlds would be hosted by the US and it's handled correctly.

Andrew A.

Ryan
    Keymaster

In short, the IAAF is as corrupt and open to bribery as the IOC. Anyone surprised?

Andrew A.

In other words, perhaps the US would simply be better off never hosting a WC if kowtowing to IAAF crooks is a requirement.  I recall seeing discussions elsewhere regarding interest in hosting World Cross in Boulder after the ballyhooed CC Nationals in 2007.  Never mind that Denver would likely be a more appropriate venue in terms of size and convenience, according to respondents apparently the IAAF would require that any host of the event include in its budget the funds to pay for scores of IAAF officials and their families to fly in, stay, and dine during the event.  I suspect that this might one of the prime factors behind cutting back on the frequency of World Cross events, that with the decline in popularity of the event the IAAF's insistence on such self-indulgent tributes being included in bids has resulted in fewer and fewer willing bidders for an annual event.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I suspect that this might one of the prime factors behind cutting back on the frequency of World Cross events, that with the decline in popularity of the event the IAAF's insistence on such self-indulgent tributes being included in bids has resulted in fewer and fewer willing bidders for an annual event.

It wouldn't surprise me. That kind of expenditure for a weekend's worth of events doesn't seem like a very wise investment. I can't imagine a lot of places getting too excited about making that kind of deal.

Run

That kind of expenditure for a weekend's worth of events doesn't seem like a very wise investment. I can't imagine a lot of places getting too excited about making that kind of deal.

That's exactly the problem, it is no investment at all if there is no return.  What does the host city get as far a return for said “investment.”

Ryan
    Keymaster

For a single weekend event, not much, which is the problem. A bunch of one night or two night hotel stays, likewise a couple of days of keeping restaurants busy. Maybe a little pick-up at the local tourist attractions. Compare that to a World Championships T&F event where you have an influx of people staying for a week. Long hotel stays, lots of trips to restaurants, lots of free time to check out local stores and pretty much every tourist attraction in town. I'm not sure even that would be a good investment but it makes more sense than a single weekend event.

Andrew A.

Prestige that comes with international recognition, perhaps. 

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.