Training Days per week for 5k

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Training Days per week for 5k

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  cesar 9 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

USC FAN

Hi Everyone!

I've been training and competing in 5 & 10k's on and off most of my adult life. I'm going to be 46 in a few weeks. My pb's are 15:13 for 5k and 33:04 for 10k. I'm nowhere near those times these days but I hold my own. I have 4 key workouts when training; 2 track, 1 tempo run or cruise intervals and a long run(7-8 miles). My question for you all is How many days a week does everyone run? I run 6 and average about 34-36 miles a week for everthing. Can I get away w/ running 5 days a week? I'm getting to the point in my life where I need some guidance from some of the other experienced runners. Thank you very much! ūüôā

Andrew A.

Can I get away w/ running 5 days a week?

There is only one way to find out.  You are an experiment of one.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Can you get away with 5 days a week? Depending on your goals, possibly. You'd most likely be a faster runner on 6-7 days a week but it mostly depends on what you want out of your running.

Double

I think you can if you have hay in the barn.  Then you can crack in down for  2-3 months.  That's basically what I do for marathon training in the summer with something like this:

M – Off or real short and easy
    T – Intervals of sorts
    W- Medium long run
    R – Tempo
    F – Off or real short and easy

Saturday and Sunday are a mix of long runs, medium runs, a race, or a longer tempo effort.  I try and do two out of that mix on the weekend.  That's five solid workouts, but I depend on what I did over the winter/spring to pull it off.

cesar
    Participant

yea you can, but remember that if you do 6 a week( 4 days extra a month), that adds mileage to the weekly and monthly volume, but if you need an extra day ooff, then go for it.

Andrew A.

yea you can, but remember that if you do 6 a week( 4 days extra a month), that adds mileage to the weekly and monthly volume

No, not always.¬† If one is truly constrained to a certain volume level then generally one would be better off doing that volume over seven days rather than six or five or four — the greater consistency, the better, within reason.¬† Running more consistently does not have to result in higher volume, though it often is a good way to add volume if one is training well within one's limits.

USC FAN

Thanks for your insight everyone! Yes; I will experiment. As a competitor its crucial  to spend time on the quality of training more so than overall mileage when racing 5k or less.

Cheers!

Chris

My body used to allow me to run more and at a higher level.  I'd run about 60++mpw during peak training.  I now run 3 days a week at most.   

I was more a low 16's high 33's guy.  Now I'm a low 17's mid 35's guy or even high 16's.  So even going down to 3 days a week I'm able to run somewhat close to what I used to training at my highest level 7 days a week. 

I currently do one hard workout a week.  2 easy runs unless I run a race then only one.   

Andrew A.

AKA accumulated (lifetime) fitness + individual variation.

Andrew A.

As a competitor its crucial  to spend time on the quality of training more so than overall mileage when racing 5k or less.

The 800m has a 60% aerobic contribution, the 1500m has a 77% aerobic contribution, and the 5000m has an 88% aerobic contribution.  Success in the middle distances may not depend as much as the 10,000m (94%) or the marathon (99%) do on aerobic development, but it still depends mostly on it.

Ryan
    Keymaster

As a competitor its crucial  to spend time on the quality of training more so than overall mileage when racing 5k or less.

Personally, that hasn't been my experience. On high volume/moderate intensity, I've gone 15:43. I've never broken 16:30 on moderate volume/high intensity.

Chris

I ran my 10K pr on low volume high intensity.  I was very very fast and sharp at the time.  5:20 pace felt like a jog.  That opposed to very high volume when 5:20 pace is working hard.  I've never run within 30 seconds of my PR in the 10K when training high volume.

I should also note I ran a very good (for me) half marathon pr on 5K training.  Once again I was fast, but didn't necessarily have super great endurance.  5:40 pace was pedestrian so it was easy. 

Of course maybe I just haven't had the right day.  I've just never felt quite as race sharp no matter what type of taper off of higher volume training.  Yes I understand all things equal high mileage is better.  I've just never been able to quite put it together when it matters. 

cesar
    Participant

i think i am like Ryan,  i do better running more mileage and no intensity( workouts), i ran my 5k PR of 20:32 and my 2 mile PR of 12:26 in my base phase, and when i was doing hard workouts and thought that i could run sub 20:00 , i just ran 20:37 and i was doing 2 wotkouts a week( v02max workout and a tempo workout), so i dont know but when you mention that  , i think that i might do better with less intensity and more miles.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.