Training Pace

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Training Pace

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  GTF 13 years ago.

• Author

I am presently 7 weeks into rebuilding my base after having been injured for an entire year with a hip injury.  I am not 100 percent yet but am slowly making progress.

Up to this point I have gradually built my running up to a 10 min run/1 min walk/10 min run, 3 days per week.  Prior to me seeing a sports chiropractor (I've been seeing him for 7weeks), I was going to a PT and he would have me running between 10-12 min per mile which felt extremly awkward and seemed to cause more aggravation with my injury. 

My Chiropractor instructed me not to run this slow and just run at what I would consider a comfortable pace.  My comfrotable or “easy” pace prior to being injured was around 8 min per mile.  During my 20 min of running right now, 8 min pace still feels good.  I also have very little discomfort right now during my runs but other things like sitting  aggravate the injury.  According to most pace charts this is too fast for my level of fitness.

Should I cut the pace down more even though it feels comfortable?
    Thanks everyone.

Mike

Ryan
    Keymaster

My gut instinct is that people usually end up running too fast without even realizing it because they have trouble with the concept of easy. That said, if a slower pace was aggrivating your injury, that's obviously not a good thing. Have you tried anything between your 10-12 minutes per mile that was suggested and the 8 minutes per mile pace you've been doing? That's a pretty big difference, maybe something in middle like 9 minutes per mile is the right answer.

Whatever you do, I'd strongly encourage you to not run a pace that aggrivates the injury. this should be common sense but I'll state it anyway.

Thanks Ryan, other than my first couple of runs, which were a bit slower they have all been around the same pace.

How would you best describe an easy effort run?  I believe I fall into the category of often running too fast and not knowing how much to back off.  I think for me that I am often concerned that if my runs are too easy I will gain no benefit. 

Ryan
    Keymaster

Well, I think the most simple way is what is called conversational pace. If you're running fast enough that you can't hold a conversation without gasping between short phrases, you're running too fast. Also, pay attention to how you feel after your run. If you're really breathing hard or your legs are toast, you ran too hard. When I finish a run, sure, I'm breathing harder than I was before I started but my breathing is under control. As for your legs, they should feel refreshed rather than fatigued after an easy run.

Most important, don't be afraid of not gaining a benefit by running “too easy”. There's more to risk by running too fast than by running too slow.

What may feel comfortable cardiovascularly may not end up being what is most comfortable for the musculoskeletal system, especially one that has recently been significantly compromised.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.