Training plans – need a better one.

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Training plans – need a better one.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Ed 1 14 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Ed 1

I was planning on following the marathon training plan for intermediate runners from the runner’s world website. The problem is – I no longer want to run anything shorter than 5 and there are plenty of 3-4 mile runs in that plan. Are small runs of that distance worth it? It feels as if I will be cutting out a lot of miles. I am base building – just started last month and I am really putting it in this month. Doing about 10 miles per day – I would hate to cut back. Is it neccessary or are there marathon plans for those that don’t run less than 5 miles? Or could I just bump every run in the plan up by about 2-3 miles?

ferris

I knew you needed a better plan the second you said you got it from RW!!

Unless you are Oprah, or P-Diddy.

Ryan
    Keymaster

If you’re running 10 miles a day right now, there is no training plan at RW for you. The problem with the RW training plans is that they assume the people using them didn’t bother building a base. You have, so you’re ahead of the game. If you want to use an RW plan, consider it a template. Do the workouts it suggests, adjusted for volume if needed, and fill in mileage levels that are more appropriate for where you will be when you start the plan. You may not be able to increase volume as much over the course of the training plan as the RW plan calls for but you won’t need to because you’re starting at a much higher level.

Better yet, find another plan to use as a template. There are many out there and most are less minimal than RW’s plans. However, whenever you look at any plan, remember that they don’t have to be followed to the letter. If you find one you like and it starts at 50 mpw while you’re already up to 70 mpw, bump up the numbers a bit to match your starting level. You may have to drop your volume a bit as you increase intensity but that drop shouldn’t have to be too extreme.

Zeke

http://www.runningtimes.com/issues/01julaug/marathon.htm

Here’s Pfitz’s 18-week program that maxes out at 70 mpw. It’ll get you a lot closer to sub-3 than anything at RW.com.

Ed 1

😀 😀 Thanks for the advice amd link to Pfitz’s 18 week plan so much more appropriate. I knew that I would like Ryan’s site better than the RW one. 😀 😀 I am pushing it real hard (for me) but this morning my body said don’t run. So one day off will not kill me. Plus I finnaly found a running partner that runs at about my pace and we are plaanning an 18 miler this Saturday – lightning permitting. 😉

Again, thanks to all for your great advice – I am sticking around. The idea behind the daily challenges is for some motivation to get the allready planned runs in and maybe tack on one extra mile. Races are too few and far between for daily motivation.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.