Trials – prognostication results

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Trials – prognostication results

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 14 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

Place/name/points/time differential

1. Jeff, 12, +3:20

2. magpie, 7, time not given to seconds

3. Run, 4, +0:35

4. Jason, 4, -0:47

5. Ryan, 4, +1:02

6. danm, 4, +1:11

7. cameron, 4, +2:12

8. Woody, 2, +0:05

9. Zeke, 2, -0:24

10. Evets Sberk, 2, no time given

Notables: (Just having some fun, I hope nobody gets too worked up about any of the “worst” ones… 😉 )

Best darkhorse pick: Rhines by magpie. I don’t know anyone else who was picking her to make it. With a 12+ minute PR, it would seem like she was a long shot. With her T&F credentials, it was obvious she had the potential to pull it off.

Best favorites pick: Jeff was the only one who picked De Reuck to beat Kastor.

Worst darkhorse pick: Glusac by me. I really have to do my research and quit picking injured runners. I hope she has a speedy recovery and can take her shot on the track.

Worst mass pick: Spangler by danm, Woody (2nd), cameron, and Run. With that many people picking her, one would think she was a lock for top 5.

Best time prediction: Woody was only 5 seconds off the winning time. Does that make up for him picking Spangler for second???

Worst time prediction: Jeff may be able to pick the right runners but not the time. 3:20 slow. He was only 8 seconds off…if it was picking the time for 6th place.

Zeke

Hey, I had Blake, that should count for something. I think next time we pick our top 5-10 then score like a X-C meet – the person with the lowest score “wins.” No disrespect to Jeff, but magpie’s picks were “better”.

Jeff
    Zeke wrote:
    Hey, I had Blake, that should count for something. I think next time we pick our top 5-10 then score like a X-C meet – the person with the lowest score “wins.” No disrespect to Jeff, but magpie’s picks were “better”.

No disrespect to Zeke but the top 8 picks were “better” then his. 🙂

Jeff

cameron

WOW!!! 😯

magpie
    Zeke wrote:
    No disrespect to Jeff, but magpie’s picks were “better”.

While XC-style scoring might have been preferable, Jeff won fair and square according to the rules as they were defined. I was not ready to chance that Deena’s ‘slump’ was significant enough to unseat her as favorite, he was — kudos to Jeff.

Ryan
    Keymaster
    Zeke wrote:
    No disrespect to Jeff, but magpie’s picks were “better”.

Personally, I’m more impressed with magpie’s picks but I don’t want to make the scoring too complicated. It’s not like this means anything, nothing is riding on it. Just a bit of a reason to follow the sport and something fun to do. I don’t really want to come up with a scoring system that requires me to write a client/server database driven application in order to score the thing. As far as I’m concerned, scoring isn’t needed but I guess I’m always thinking with a competitive mindset.

If you would like to propose a “better” scoring system, feel free to do so and we can give it a try next time but please keep it simple. Maybe bonus points for every upset pick you get in the top 3 or something like that. It could even be on a graduated scale as long as that’s not too difficult to figure out.

Zeke

I know Jeff “won” I just didn’t want magpie’s picks to get lost in the suffle. I thought picking all three was pretty impressive.

If you would like to propose a “better” scoring system, feel free to do so and we can give it a try next time but please keep it simple.

Let me think about it for 4 years and get back to you. Unless we’re doing this for the US Olympic T&F trials and the games. Hmmm, fantasy track and field. Oh the potential…

Jeff
    Zeke wrote:
    I know Jeff “won” I just didn’t want magpie’s picks to get lost in the suffle. I thought picking all three was pretty impressive.

If you would like to propose a “better” scoring system, feel free to do so and we can give it a try next time but please keep it simple.

Let me think about it for 4 years and get back to you. Unless we’re doing this for the US Olympic T&F trials and the games. Hmmm, fantasy track and field. Oh the potential…

Ahh, you know there’s going to be a little jabbing back in forth with a little competition. I mean come on, we’re a bunch of competitive souls here. I wouldn’t expect anything different.

I believe I was the only one in the men’s trials contest that picked the top three and no one said they were impressed with my picks…. 🙁 🙁 And then I win the women’s trials….hmmmm. I’m starting to see a trend here.

😀 😀

Run well my friends,

Jeff

Zeke

I believe I was the only one in the men’s trials contest that picked the top three and no one said they were impressed with my picks….

Jeff,

The difference is that the top-3 men’s favorites all made the team. You didn’t have to go out on a limb to pick them. Now if you had said I think Trent Briney was going to have a great race I would have been surprised.

So to sum up your 6 picks you basically took all the top-ranked guys, and 2 of the top-ranked gals along with “dark horse” Sara Wells. I suppose your Final 4 bracket had all #1 seeds in it too.

Jab, jab 😛

Jeff
    Zeke wrote:

I believe I was the only one in the men’s trials contest that picked the top three and no one said they were impressed with my picks….

Jeff,

The difference is that the top-3 men’s favorites all made the team. You didn’t have to go out on a limb to pick them. Now if you had said I think Trent Briney was going to have a great race I would have been surprised.

So to sum up your 6 picks you basically took all the top-ranked guys, and 2 of the top-ranked gals along with “dark horse” Sara Wells. I suppose your Final 4 bracket had all #1 seeds in it too.

Jab, jab 😛

No, believe it or not, I picked all the right teams in the final 4 also! Wierd isn’t it. Almost uncanny.

Of course I hope you don’t believe that. 😀

Be looking for my name to be on the list in 4 years. Ha! Now you darn sure better not believe that!

To tell you the truth, I’ve only been following the “big names” in racing for about a year to a year and a half and I really wouldn’t call it “following”. I saw everyone was picking Kastor to finish first, so a I thought, ahh, what the heck, I’m going for the upset. It just so happened to pay off. Then picking Kastor to come in second seemed obvious. And since I was the only one to try something different, and have it pay off, I thought I’d gloat a little. I was at running club Sat. morning and then we had a meeting afterwards, so I didn’t get home until the race was finished. While away, I was thinking to myself, “Now watch De Rueck win this thing, wouldn’t that be great.” I came home and clicked over to Hillrunner (it’s not my homepage yet, Ryan) and sure enough….. woohooo!

It’s all good!

Run well my friends,

Jeff

magpie

Okay, not that I derive undue joy from going around bursting bubbles (not much, anyway,) but I would like to set the record straight . . . I did not put much stock into the ‘contest’ and I would not consider any correct choices (team, placing, time) to be anything other than very fortunate guesses. It was merely fun and it was entertaining to talk some smack on the choices of others (though that was almost too easy.)

Also, I would suggest the selection of Wells as a top-3 finisher to be another strong candidate for ‘worst mass pick.’

Ryan
    Keymaster
    magpie wrote:
    Okay, not that I derive undue joy from going around bursting bubbles (not much, anyway,) but I would like to set the record straight . . . I did not put much stock into the ‘contest’ and I would not consider any correct choices (team, placing, time) to be anything other than very fortunate guesses.

Exactly. It’s all just for fun and it’s all just a guessing game.

Zeke
    magpie wrote:
    Also, I would suggest the selection of Wells as a top-3 finisher to be another strong candidate for ‘worst mass pick.’

Living in Minnesota, she was my sentimental choice.

magpie

Homer! 🙄

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.