Tuesday’s test

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Tuesday’s test

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Ed 1 14 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Ed 1

After two runs yesterday including a hard 5 miles (almost 1.5 MPM faster than my typical pace) I got a slow seven in this AM and I am planning on at least another 5-7 tonight. Come on ya’ll top me off! Who is gonna take me – I believe that I have bragging rights for yesterday – will that be true for today as well?

peace467

I’ll probably be running between 10-12 miles today as part of a track workout, so if you only run 5 this pm and I run the high end of 12 I’ll tie you. I’ll enter it in the log so you can see.

Last month, April, and this month May are going well after a pretty piss poor March and a good Jan-Feb. If all goes well I’ll reach 70 miles this week. Next week will be a cutback week. What’s a good amount to cut back to? My last several weeks looks like as follows, I’ve tried to not break the 10% rule:

50 miles/week, 50, 60, 50, 60, 65, 70, ?? cutback to what??

I’m thinking of dropping back down to 50 and then running 70, 75, 80 before another cutback week. Thoughts? Is cutting back to 50 enough or should I try cutting back to 40? Or do I play it by ear and go by feel?

How much do you typically cutback during a cutback week?

Ryan
    Keymaster
    peace467 wrote:
    Is cutting back to 50 enough or should I try cutting back to 40? Or do I play it by ear and go by feel?

I’ll take what’s behind door 3. I don’t like shooting for numbers, just let your body tell you what’s right.

Ed, I believe there are a number of people who will gladly let you have training log champion bragging rights this week. I know of at least three people here who are running a 50 mile trail race Saturday and one other who is giving himself a bit of a break after a 120 mile week last week.

Ed 1

I knew something was up – I aint all that. 😆 I am hoping to stir up others as well – get some increase in all of our mileage obviously where appropriate only. This mornings run kicked my butt – my legs felt like iron and I wanted to quit at 2 miles but I dragged on for another 5 just becuase I cannot be a @!*?$%. This is my best week so far, as far as keeping up with daily doubles. I hope to do it every day but Thursday (due to school) – but I really have no excuses for the remainder of the week. The weather has been great this week.

On cutting back I agree with Ryan do what your body and mind ask you to do. Remember ours is a sport with mental as well as physical demand – we need to pay attention to both.

cameron

lets see who can go the longest without running!!! i went four days before breaking down and mustering a meager 6M this noon. does a 6M run in the upper 60’s aclimate a runner for 70/80 degrees and humidity? 🙄

(just a bit of sarcasm…i am hoping for an alberta clipper to sweep through SE Wisconsin by 6AM Saturday morning)

Ryan
    Keymaster
    cameron wrote:
    does a 6M run in the upper 60’s aclimate a runner for 70/80 degrees and humidity? 🙄

Not only that, it acclimates you perfectly for 50 miles in said weather. 😉

See you Saturday. I’ll be out there working on my tan. 😈

ferris

my workout ended up being a total of 11 miles….so I guess I’m 1 short.

Ryan – 120 last weekfor you, I assume…nice. I’ve nver been over 80, even when I was running my best in college I was never over 80. I have always wanted to do 100 just to say I did….but I think I will grow out of that.

what are you cutting down to this week? dude…just stay up at 120 and get HUGE! 😉

Ryan
    Keymaster
    ferris wrote:
    what are you cutting down to this week? dude…just stay up at 120 and get HUGE! 😉

I was planning on staying up at 120 but my body told me it’s not ready. In fact, today, I feel like I’m coming down with something. I’m cold even though I’m wearing a sweatshirt, my stomach is feeling on edge, and I have a not so pleasant headache. Right now, I just want to be healthy enough to help out Double on Saturday and reel off 20 miles a day Sunday through Thursday before leaving for Colorado, where I will get in as much running as I can fit into the schedule but consider it a week of rest overall before ending May big.

ferris

sounds like your body is pissed at you.

where are you going in CO? I have a bunch of buddies who moved out there. I’ve visited a few times, its pretty cool, but not ALL its cracked up to be.. I actually ran a half -mary there in Dec and it was awful, altitude sucks…..especially when you don’t respect it.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I think it was all about a migraine headache. I’ve had one of those in the past. It got bad enough that I couldn’t focus my vision and I was throwing up. Went home, took some IB, went to sleep, and I woke up feeling fine a few hours later. Today, I came home, took some IB, and woke up an hour later feeling much better.

My dad lives in a small town about midway between Denver and Colorado Springs. I actually love Colorado, wouldn’t mind moving there if the opportunity presented itself. Of course, I was actually born in the mountains about 30 miles southwest of downtown Denver and, even after moving to Wisconsin, went back there every year for a month. I guess I just got to like it out there.

ferris

I’ll take 1 guess…..is it Castle Rock?

Don’t get me wrong, I really like CO…a lot…..just not enough to move there.

Ryan
    Keymaster

My grandparents lived in Castle Rock, in a house right across the street from the base of the hill that the rock is on top of. When my brother and I were kids, we would climb up to the top. At the time, you could go all the way to the top of the rock, not just up to the top of the hill at the base of the rock like now. A trail that goes up the rock from right across the street from their house has my grandfather’s name on it, as do a couple of other things around town.

However, my dad now lives east of Castle Rock. When I was a kid, he lived on a ranch near Kiowa. Last time I went out, he did live in Castle Rock and I actually did hill repeats up the rock (not quite as crazy as the Granddad’s Bluff repeats I did a couple of years ago) on the trail named after my grandfather. Now, though, he lives in Elizabeth.

As with any place, Colorado has its drawbacks. However, if there was any place I would leave Wisconsin for, I think Colorado would be it.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.