Twenty miler one week before 5K?

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Twenty miler one week before 5K?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Husker 13 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Husker

Hello,

I’ve got two races important to me this spring, a 5K in Feb and a marathon 10 weeks later in April. I’m looking to run 4 20+ milers between now and the marathon. From where I’m at now and other things I’ve got going on this spring, my first 20 miler would be the weekend before the 5K. Will this significantly hurt my 5K time? Since it is the first 20 miler of this cycle I’ll probably take it easy and run a relaxed pace. I could possibly bump up the 20 miler a week earlier if it would really hurt my 5K.

FYI: the marathon is the more important of the two to me. It will be my third marathon and sixth time running 20 or more, so I’m by no means a veteran distance runner, but the distance itself is nothing new to me either.

Thanks!

MothAudio

Depends on where your fitness level is at but it sounds like your still new to these long runs. In my 1st year the long runs really took it out of me. After 3-4 years of marathon type training it didn’t. To be safe I’d just do the 20 miler one week earlier and a shorter long run the weekend before. Best of luck!

Husker

Thanks Moth, I think I will take your advice. That is the way I’ve been leaning anyway. My fitness is getting back to form after running a marathon 4 weeks back. I was able to run a 16 miler yesterday within 15 seconds of my marathon pace. I will shoot for 18 next weekend, followed by 14-15 then up to 20 the weekend after that which will be 2 weeks before the 5K. What would you suggest for the weekend between my 20 miler and the 5K? I’m thinking 12 with another 10-12 miler eariler that week, probably wednesdayish.

Ed 1

I agree with Moth but also keep in mind that depending on how you feel after the 20 miler you might need to really tapper for that 5k. The 5k is such a short distance that time cannot be made up with a solid pace – you need aall the strength you can muster.

Ryan
    Keymaster
    Ed 1 wrote:
    I agree with Moth but also keep in mind that depending on how you feel after the 20 miler you might need to really tapper for that 5k. The 5k is such a short distance that time cannot be made up with a solid pace – you need aall the strength you can muster.

I would agree if the 5k was more important than the marathon. However, if the marathon is the primary goal, sometimes you have to sacrifice less important races or at least expect a somewhat lower performance level in order to train for the more important races.

You can’t taper for every “important” race that comes along or your training plan is going to have no consistency, which is the real key to distance running performance.

Husker

Thanks for the advice guys. I’ve accepted that my 5K will be less than optimal, coming in the middle of marathon training. My plan as it is now is to get the 20 miler in two weeks before the 5K. The following week I’ll keep my overall mileage up but move my long run down to 12 or so. Then the week of the 5K I’ll slide my overall mileage down to about 75% of the previous couple weeks, do the race on Saturday, and try to get in a 10-12 miler the day after the 5K. I would just train right through this 5K and not taper for it at all, but my nemesis will be there and I want to start out 2005 with a victory over him.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.