USATF News & Notes: 2/14/2005

Welcome! Forums Running Forum USATF News & Notes: 2/14/2005

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 13 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

Isinbayeva breaks indoor PV record

Russia’s Yelena Isinbayeva made her 2005 debut by setting a new world indoor pole vault record of 4.87 meters, 15 feet, 11.75 inches to win Saturday’s Zepter Pole Vault Stars Meeting in Donetesk, Ukraine.

Picking up where she left off last summer, the Olympic champion improved on her previous indoor standard of 4.86m/15-11.75, which she set last March when she leaped to the World Indoor title in Budapest.

In the men’s competition 2004 Olympian Derek Miles cleared 5.85m/19-2.50 to win and add three centimeters to his previous best set three years ago. The 32-year-old’s winning mark was on his first attempt which is also a world leader.

r-at-work

yikes… when I talk to my 17 year old who is learning to pole vault I can tell him that he is doing HALF what the WR record is… which puts him almost in the same position I am with the marathon…that gives him an idea how ludicrous it is for him to tell me “just run faster” because I can turn around and say “just jump higher”

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.