Weeklies mileage question

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Weeklies mileage question

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Anne 13 years, 6 months ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #2204

    Anne
    Member

    Are most of you training for a spring marathon? Or are those miles just a normal week for you?

    Some pretty amazing numbers either way.

  • #17570

    Far from normal for me. I’m training for Boston and am now in week 8 with 10 to go. I’m following the Pete Pfitzinger 18 week program for more than 70 miles. This is the highest sustained mileage I’ve ever done. I’ve averaged around 72 for the first 7. The next 4 weeks should be the toughest.

  • #17571

    Zeke
    Member

    I signed up for Grandma’s, which is June 18th.

  • #17572

    stealthycat
    Member

    I know you are not talking about me. my mileage is only between 45-53 mpw. When I decide to do a marathon, it will be much higher. I am just running to run right now. 🙂

    I’m with you on the guys around here running 60-70++. 🙂 Nice work.

  • #17573

    Ryan
    Keymaster

    I’m not posting on the weeklies but last week was my first triple digit week of the year (100 right on after missing the last run of the week with a non-running foot injury – hope I don’t miss too many more runs with this). Personally, I’ve always run best when taking a long term approach so I’m base training through the spring with no definite goals yet for the fall.

    The thing I have found, though, is that you can always base train for a long time and, doing this, you can pick a goal race a relatively short amount of time in advance. If I’m getting in good base training, I can pick a goal 12 weeks out and be optimally prepared for it. If I’m not already base training, I need at least an extra 8-12 weeks to get in the base training or I’m not going to run as well as I expect of myself.

  • #17574

    SwampTiger
    Member
    Ryan wrote:
    I’m not posting on the weeklies but last week was my first triple digit week of the year

    I’m curious what you weekly training looks like. If you don’t mind sharing.

  • #17575

    Ryan
    Keymaster

    I quit sharing on a regular basis because I was sick of dealing with the hecklers but…

    As I’m building up, it’s actually quite boring. Monday, I did 7 miles at lunch and 8 miles after work. The rest of the work week, because I was in a class that did not allow me a long enough lunch, I went to 5 miles before work and 10 after. Saturday, I did my first run of over 10 miles in some time – a 15 mile “long” run. Sunday, I did 10 in the morning and backed out of a planned 5-6 in the afternoon with the foot thing. Paces were nothing special. Sunday morning was the only day I got under 7:00/mile and that one surprised me. Other than that, a lot of 7:20-7:30 pace running.

    This week, assuming all goes well with the foot (so far, so good) I want to keep the evening 10 milers and get in the 7 milers at lunch. I will probably do a similar type of day Saturday and do my long run on Sunday. Once I get that down, I’ll start adding some more variety in the training, possibly by building the Tuesday and Thursday evening runs toward the 13-17 mile range and maybe tweaking some other runs, all the while building up the long run. Of course, it’s base building. The most important thing is to get out and run as much as reasonably possible so plans may change but hopefully getting out the door 13 times a week and averaging 1.5-2+ hours/day won’t. I kind of surprised myself at lunch today with a near-7:00/mile pace but I’m still going in almost expecting paces to get slower before I see them getting faster with any consistency.

  • #17576

    stealthycat
    Member
    Ryan wrote:
    assuming all goes well with the foot (so far, so good)

    Mind if I ask what is wrong with the foot?

  • #17577

    Ryan
    Keymaster
    stealthycat wrote:
    Mind if I ask what is wrong with the foot?

    Mostly my stupidity. I managed to deal a pretty crushing blow to my middle toe and a less severe blow to my fourth toe. The middle toe has a pretty impressive bruise to show for it and both were swelling up pretty well yesterday. The middle toe was bad enough to skip one run but at the moment is feeling good enough to continue as planned.

  • #17578

    stealthycat
    Member
    Ryan wrote:
    Mostly my stupidity. I managed to deal a pretty crushing blow to my middle toe and a less severe blow to my fourth toe. The middle toe has a pretty impressive bruise to show for it and both were swelling up pretty well yesterday. The middle toe was bad enough to skip one run but at the moment is feeling good enough to continue as planned.

    Well at least it’s not interfering too greatly in your running. 😯 Seems that non running related injuries are the most annoying. Hope it heals up quickly.

  • #17579

    SwampTiger
    Member

    Thanks for sharing Ryan…

    Ryan wrote:
    but I’m still going in almost expecting paces to get slower before I see them getting faster with any consistency.

    I think that is what has helped me increase my mileage this time so easily. I haven’t worried about the pace, other than if I was going to fast.

    The other thing that struck me is that I guess I always assumed triple digit weeks included 20+ mile long runs. How much will you increase your long runs during base building? Will you throw in any tempo work after the mileage plateaus?

    I’ve never really done a true base building phase, it has always been a part of the buildup within an 18 week plan. I’m going to have a couple of months from Boston until beginning training for a fall marathon and I’m already thinking about what to do during that time.

  • #17580

    Ryan
    Keymaster
    SwampTiger wrote:
    I think that is what has helped me increase my mileage this time so easily. I haven’t worried about the pace, other than if I was going to fast.

    I think that’s what causes the biggest problems with people attempting to build, they are unwilling to slow down in the short term, not realizing the long term benefits of doing so.

    SwampTiger wrote:
    The other thing that struck me is that I guess I always assumed triple digit weeks included 20+ mile long runs. How much will you increase your long runs during base building? Will you throw in any tempo work after the mileage plateaus?

    Normally, I would say those weeks would at least typically include 20+ mile long runs but I’ve been doing a bad job of getting on top of the long runs so this first one didn’t. I’m not sure how far I’ll go with the long runs. I’ll settle in somewhere in the 20-30 range but I’ll basically just find what feels right. I’ll hold off on planned speedwork of any kind but I wouldn’t be surprised if I find myself doing the occasional impromptu tempo run or fartlek workout and I wouldn’t be surprised if I find myself throwing some relaxed strides into my runs once or twice a week.

  • #17581

    Ed 1
    Member

    Not willing to slow down in the short term – that would be me. A stubborn jack-a$$ 😆 – when will I get it? (I’m starting to.) 🙄

  • #17582

    MarkRunner
    Member

    Thanks for sharing Ryan

    Ryan wrote:
    If I’m getting in good base training, I can pick a goal 12 weeks out and be optimally prepared for it.

    How do you prepare in 12 weeks? I expected that you would spend more time peaking.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.