Weekly update 3/20 – 3/26.

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Weekly update 3/20 – 3/26.

This topic contains 19 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Ed 1 13 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Ed 1

Hate being sick – hate my job – stressed out trying to buy a house 👿 Hope my running goes well this week.

Sun: Too sick to run – still cannot breath good enough while running.

Mon: 9 w/ [email protected] MP Tough but did it.

Tue: 8 w/ [email protected] MP Still tough but gutted it out.

Wed: Did not run – 👿

Thu: 8 w/ 4×800’s @ 6:00 pace.

Fri: 8 👿 👿

Sat: 👿 👿 no run 👿 👿 guess I needed a mental break. Guarenteed that next week I will follow the schedule perfectly.

Total = 33 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿

Peter

What is the pace that you reference when you say “6 @ MP” and why are you doing two days in a row of marathon pace workouts? — Especially if you are just getting over being sick. I think you may be overdoing it, IMHO. You have what, 7-8 weeks until your marathon? There’s nothing wrong with toughing out some workouts while you’re feeling a bit under the weather, but if you try and overdo it during that time, you can exacerbate the situation pretty easily.

Again, just one hack’s opinion.

Ed – you keep saying you’ll follow your Coach’s schedule, but I cannot imagine that would include 2 marathon pace workouts followed by a speed workout. Keep your chin up, but start doing some recovery workouts!

Ed 1

Of course you’re right, I thought about that around noon today and now I read it. I am worried about losing base and not getting enough effort in. My goals are set very, very high and it will require major effort – but of course that needs to be balanced with proper rest/recovery.

My MP now starts slower at about 7:30 for a mile then goes to about 7:00 and finishes around 6:45. My primary goal is for fall and a focus on the speed/endurabce that I need for that. My upcoming marathon is part of a gut/ ability check and to race.

Anonymous

Ed, I have to agree with Peter, 2 days of MP in a row is probably not necessary after being sick. Also, my understanding of MP workouts is that a portion of the run is done at your MP. When I do MP runs, I warm up for 2 or 3 miles, then pick it up over the course of a mile, then hold it @ 7:15 for however long the workout calls for. My goal is 3:10. Your workout sounds more like a progression workout. Hope your feeling better,

Tim

JCWrs

Doing my best to revive this fourm today so I thought I’d do a little bragging about my week so far…

Monday: 11 slow

Tuesday: 9 slow

Wed: 17!!!

Thursday: 8 slow

So I’m sitting on 45 miles through 4 days, and I uncorked (for me) a monster run on Wed! I just kept upping the pace and everything just felt good. Finished in 2:18 and ran the last half of the run under 8:00/mile (it isn’t fast, but on the treadmill I run on, thats quite a bit faster then normal). Came back today and got a solid run in and I’m hoping to get 20 or more the next 2 days!!! ROLL ON!!!

Bart

I’ve had a pretty easy week so far — 37 miles through Thursday. I’m taking today (Friday) off and will race a 10K tomorrow. I’ll end the week somewhere around 44-45 miles, which is about average for me.

I don’t have real high hopes for a fast time tomorrow. It’s a mega race with somewhere near 20,000 runners, so the crowds make it tough to get off to a decent start. Anyway, it’s fun, and there’s a big party at the end.

Stay healthy,

Bart

SwampTiger
    Bart wrote:
    Anyway, it’s fun, and there’s a big party at the end.

Isn’t there a party in the middle too? 😆

I remember when the Times-Picayune would start running the stories about getting ready for the the Crescent City Classic, and I would wonder why in the heck anyone would want to run six miles.

Good Luck tomorrow.

-Rob

TimRuns

Mon: 8.4 easy

Tues: 13 progression- 8.6 steady, last 4.4 @LT (included headwinds and a long hill 😡 )

Weds: 8.4 easy with 4×100 strides

Thurs: 14.2 medium long, steady

Fri: 8.8 easy

Sat: 20.3 long (7:47 pace)

Sun: rest day

Total: 73.1, also with 2.7 miles of swimming and 2:00 of strengthwork

Peter

Sun – 7.0

Mon – 8.1

Tues – 8.2

Wed -9.8

Thur – 7.8 quick (6:37 pace)

Fri – 6.4 easy

Sat – 5.1 easy

52.4 Miles – aided by 10+ miles I ran with my son over 5 days, and the fact that it was spring break and I was able to run a bit later this week.

Anonymous

Ed, no offense, but there is no way your going sub three next year, you have no discipline.

JCWrs

Monday: 11 slow

Tuesday: 9 slow

Wed: 17 moderate

Thursday: 8 slow

Friday: 15 moderate

Saturday: 5 moderate

Sunday: OFF

Total: 65!!!

Notes: A new high for one week and that was only one of the exciting things about this week. My 10-week average climbed over 50 for the first time ever (and that still includes my race cut back week). My 17 and 15 mile runs marked the first time I’ve ever gone over 2 hours twice in a week. All good things, here’s hoping it leads to all better things!

randys
    Participant

Mon: 6 Easy

Tue: 7 Easy

Wed: 13 Steady

Thu: 7 Easy

Fri: 6 AM Easy, 12 PM Steady

Sat: 24 Long (7:58 pace, 3:11 mins!)

Sun: 5 Easy

Total: 80

This week I dropped the tempo run on Tues and Thurs. Last week I felt like a slug on longer runs. I dropped the anaerobic workouts to see how I would respond.

The excellent 24 on Sat restored my confidence in a sub 3:20. Especially based on my splits; I ran from mp (7:35) to tempo pace (7:05) over the final 8 miles.

The strong finish is in sharp contrast to my struggle to maintain pace, never mind hit tempo pace, running 16 last weekend.

This week my long run is dropping back to 16 so I will resume tempo runs. With 4 weeks to go things seem to be right on track again.

Randy

Run

Mon—rest

Tue—8w/5×[email protected]:12

Wed—8

Thu—rest

Fri—10

Sat—4 easy+strides

Sun—17 Felt great

Total—47

3 Weeks to go!! 😀

Anonymous

Where is the marathon that you are running in.

MothAudio

Monday: OFF

Tuesday: 5 miles [1×3 tempo]

Wednesday: 12 miles

Thursday: OFF

Friday: 5 miles

Saturday: 6 miles+strides

Sunday: 13 miles

41 for week

359 for year

Half marathon next Saturday.

SwampTiger

Back on track…finished the week with a great long run.

Mon – Off

Tue – 6AM, 5PM

Wed – 11 w/ 6×[email protected] pace (2:00)

Thur – 8 easy

Fri – 14

Sat – 6

Sun – 20 finished very strong

Total – 70 ..matches peak mileage week

Three weeks to go, feeling confident again.

-Rob

Husker

S – 10 – progression

M – 14.5

T – 10 w/ 5 at tempo pace

W – off

T – 24 in about 2:56

F – 7

S – 8

total – 73.5

Now entering taper mode. 3 weeks until Boston.

Zeke

Su – 13 w/ 8k in 29:56

M – 7

T – 12 hills

W – 7

Th – 5 AM & 11 w/ 8 up-tempo PM

F – 7 w/ strides

S – 19

Total – 81

The Taper begins. Had a solid last week clocking 80 miles. Wanted 90 but 80 will have to do. Work & School made my life pretty difficult. Also, our youngest turned 2 on Friday which called for celebration and some reprioritization. The focus was giving the quads one last pounding before getting some rest. Hit the trails on Friday for 12 muddy miles including the last 3 mostly downhill at MP. Did my long run on Saturday and tried to simulate the last 5 miles of Boston at MP. The majority of this is downhill. I planned a recovery 10 for yesterday but I felt really good and decided to pick it up. I ran miles 7 and 8 at MP and the last 2 at around 5:45 pace feeling very strong. I ended up running 12 miles at MP or better for the week. Feeling good going into this taper. Health wise I have a little PF but it’s far from debilitating. Can’t stop thinking about this race. Should be in the high 60’s mileage wise this week with my last race being a 10k on Saturday in Central Park.

Week 15 – 3 to go

3/21/2005 Monday Easy in CP 8.2

3/22/2005 Tuesday PM in CP 9.5

3/23/2005 Wednesday PM in CP 9.5

3/24/2005 Thursday Easy 10 around Giralda 10.0

3/25/2005 Friday Progresion on Patriots Path. Last 3 at MP 12.5

3/26/2005 Saturday Long around giralda, in Jockey Hollow, down western, last 5 at MP or better 20.5

3/27/2005 Sunday Progression in Upper Saddle River, last 4 at MP or better 10.0

Total Weekly Mileage 80.2

Total Monthly Milage 306.2

YTD Mileage 933.8

Ed 1

You guys are all very inspiring and I hope to be close to that type of mileage by late summer.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.