weight loss without sweat

Welcome! Forums Running Forum weight loss without sweat

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  cesar 10 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

cesar
    Participant

hey guys,

if you run but you are that kind of person that dont  sweat much, you still lose weight? the same as you were sweating??

Ryan
    Keymaster

What kind of climate do you live in? Are you sure you're not sweating or is it just evaporating so quickly in a climate with dry air that the sweat isn't that noticeable? When I used to frequently visit Colorado, it seemed as though I was sweating much less than I do in Wisconsin but the truth is that I was sweating more, it was just evaporating off my skin and clothing much more quickly.

If you're not sweating, which is pretty unlikely, there are two ways to lose weight: burn fat, which requires a 3500 calorie expenditure to lose a pound; or burn lean body mass, which requires roughly a 1600-1700 calorie expenditure to lose a pound.

cesar
    Participant

well , is not me , its my girlfriend, we both live in dominican republic as you probably know its a tropical country with a lot of heat, for example last year in chicago marathon the weather was in  the 80s and almost everybody  were insane  about it, in dominican republic ,that weather is  pretty much normal , in my case i sweat just of walking 300m from my house, but my girlfriend doesn't sweat , the only part she sweat ( or at least that one can notice ) is the patch between the nose and the mouth.

GTF

You, or your girlfriend, have access to a scale and know how to use it, no?

cesar
    Participant

no , i haven't used a scale, i dont even know what that is?

GTF

It is a device used for determining weight.  Ever been to see a doctor?

cesar
    Participant

when i was a kid.

r-at-work

You, or your girlfriend, have access to a scale and know how to use it, no?

I think what GTF is trying to explain is that you get on the bathroom scale (or any other scale) before you start a run, then after you run you get on again… you then see if you weigh less after the run (assuming you don't drink anything during the run, or use the bathroom)… this can be quite enlightening as on some summer runs I've lost as much as two pounds even though I drank during the run (it would be closer to 4 pounds if I weighed the water I drank and added it to my original weight)…

but maybe, for your girlfriend it has to do more with evaporation (as stated by Ryan) or heat tolerance OR… just not running far or fast enough…

-Rita

Ryan
    Keymaster

Maybe I originally misinterpreted the question. Are you asking whether a person loses weight in the short term during the run if the person doesn't sweat or doesn't sweat as much or are you asking whether, in the long term, a person can see weight loss benefits from running if they don't noticeably sweat as much as someone else? I'm beginning to think you're asking about the long term benefits as I re-read this thread.

The long term benefit is still there. Sweating is not how long term weight loss is achieved. In fact, weight loss from sweating is actually a bad thing because it means you are dehydrating yourself. The goal should be to regain that weight by drinking water as quickly as possible. If you're concerned about long term weight loss, then what you're focusing on is burning fat and burning more calories through running, other activities, and every day living than the amount of calories you take in through eating. Sweating has no bearing on this equation. It's all about the amount of balance between energy coming in (through food and drink) and energy going out (through exercise and everyday living).

Make sense?

cesar
    Participant

yeah, it clears thing up, my doubt was that if you still lose weight ( burn fat), even if you don't sweat ( as much as in the hotter times of the day for example), her problem its more related to heat tolerance i think cuz once she walked for one hour or more  , the weather was about 80s , and it was 4:30-5:00 p.m. and when she got to my house she was like if she wouldn't  have done anything.

ed
    Participant

I would make sure that she drinks enough water every day – I would be concerned about proper hydration. 

I was thinking about this post as I ran this morning – it is in the upper 30s F and I was sweating.  I have also done some sweating when it was below 0 F.  Proper hydration and hard work will make you sweat.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.