What do you think?

Welcome! Forums Running Forum What do you think?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Zeke 11 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Zeke

Today I was visiting eliterunning.com and thought; “Why couldn't I do something like that, but on a Twin Cities basis?” Heck, even if I just start out by interviewing people in the area, there has to be some interest, right?

I started listing runners who I have email address for and I came up with like 60 names. Of course they’re not all super studs, but I think there’s a lot of talent, along with some “special interest” stories. There’s a couple of coaches, some triathletes (including an IM Hawaii qualifier), a few couples, some Olympic Marathon Trials qualifiers, a guy doing 50 states, a guy who did a relay in Alaska, a Pike’s Peak Doubler, a 400/800 guy, etc.

I’m very curious what you guys think. Is this something that you think would be interesting? Any thoughts, concerns, feedback? All comments are more than welcomed.

GTF

http://boulderrunning.com/

The above site is a couple years old and seemed to hold promise early on but has devolved into essentially a site that is aimed more at the recreational set and regurgitates information that can be found elsewhere.  There used to be frequent exclusive interviews with, articles on, and photo features of locally-based elites, but now the interviews and articles are gleaned from other original sources and the photo albums sometimes are outdone by what the individual race host sites offer themselves and have also abandoned covering annual events that they had been shooting — the staff really missed the boat on this one, considering the typical level of narcissism of their target audience, they could have made plenty of jack off of advertisers or selling photos (if not both) by setting up a service akin to Jim Rhoades's to comprehensively cover local events photographically and posting them for viewing and/or sale.  The forum also used to be rather active, too, but judging by how stagnant both that and the photo gallery have become from the frequency of updates and posts that site has likely seen a drop-off in visitors/visits so how long they can retain their sponsors remains to be seen.  This is perhaps something to keep in mind when starting up something like this that is basically a labor of love and not a significant income-producer, aim for and achieve a consistent level of content from the beginning and the audience that latches on at the beginning will mostly be retained.  This might mean opening it up to more of a statewide or regional focus as well as the need to recruit contributors and correspondents. 

Ryan
    Keymaster

GTF brings up some good points. I think this has the potential to really raise the profile of your blog if you were planning on posting the interviews on your blog. Alternatively, if you wanted to start a “Twin Cities running” type site, you could probably get pretty good traffic there fairly quickly.

Alternatively, I wouldn't be doing my job as webmaster here if I didn't ask if you would be willing to contribute those to the site here. We could discuss deals for contribution if you wanted to but I don't want you to think you would have any kind of obligation to. This is your idea and, as so, you of course have the right to do with it what you want, whether that means exclusive content on your blog, starting your own site or doing something else with it. If you did want to bring it here, I could try to do the same thing in the Milwaukee/Madison area and maybe try to get others to do it in other areas.

I actually have played with ideas like this for Hillrunner.com but have questioned how long I could keep it going. It could turn into the site GTF referenced simply because I would run out of people to interview or not be able to justify the time required for such a “labor of love”. Of course, if I could get some contributors, I could put up monthly interviews and have to do interviews myself at a rate of less than once a month. That would leave the pool of potential interviewees less quickly drained and the justification much easier to make.

I guess my only real advice if you head into this is what GTF offered. Realize that this will be a labor of love. You're not going to make a living doing something like this or probably even make a reliable supplemental income. You'll have to be doing it because it's what you like doing.

Zeke

Thanks for the input guys.  GTF, the thought of making any money hasn't crossed my mind.  Yes, it would be a labor of love.  Right now I'm thinking of having recreational, pro, college and high school sections with links to recent articles off to the side and then have interviews take up the majority of the space.  My only concern would be getting an interview completed every week or so, so that people keep coming back.

Right now I think I have enough athletes in mind to last at least a year.  I would tend to think that if this gets rolling it could snowball – people may seek me out to be interviewed or people will give me ideas of who'd they'd like to read about.  I do like the idea of other contributors and will keep that in mind.

Ryan, I haven't decided if I'll go with another blog approach or not.  It's easy, but blogger.com has “issue” a lot of the time.  I'm not too concerned with driving people to my current blog as they would have totally different purposes. 

We could talk more about posting them here too, but most people here wouldn't know who the interviewees are.  Sure I'd like to get Team MN people, but I'm guessing it'll be all age groupers.  If you want to see how things go and then do it in your area too, I don't have a problem with that.  Maybe we'd even decide to combine them sometime down the road.  Let me see if I can even get up and running first.

I'll keep you posted. 

Zeke

Now that I have a couple of interviews up and some links, I thought I'd post the url for the site;

http://runningminnesota.blogspot.com/

GTF

Looks good, hopefully it will appeal widely.  8)

Mark

Looks really good! It article on Jim held my interest.

I liked the injury advice he gave

“Tips: Skip the denial stage and go directly to a medical doctor who has a competitive running background (both, for competent diagnosis and insight into obsessive behavior). Getting an accurate diagnosis and understanding of the injury are essential. Learn everything you can about your specific injury, both anatomically and physiologically. Learn how the various systems of the body relate to each other and how the body compensates and heals. Follow the diagnosis with appropriate treatment and aggressive therapy. Give yourself time to fully recover.”

Keep it up.

Mark

Ryan
    Keymaster

Very nice. I'll definitely be checking back in.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.