What was the Bannister legacy?

Welcome! Forums Running Forum What was the Bannister legacy?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 14 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

It remains one of the great images in sport – Roger Bannister collapsing over the line in Oxford 50 years ago, having run the first sub four-minute mile.

But after the impossible had become the possible, what happened to the concept of a sub four-minute mile?

Within two years of Bannister breaking the glass ceiling for middle-distance runners, its significance seemed to have faded as 50 runners had gone under four minutes for the mile.

BBC article

runnerdude

cool question. From what I know, it seemed as though no one at that time truly thought the barrier could be broken so the legacy in my mind is that the potential for human performance should not be underestimated.

Ryan
    Keymaster

The reason I posted that article is because I found the whole topic interesting. Sub-4:00 doesn’t seem like that big of a deal now, even though there are relatively few runners capable of even thinking about it.

As for what I believe his legacy is, just what the article and you both referenced. He broke the glass ceiling. He proved that what once was thought to be impossible was in fact possible. Once that was done, you saw a relative flood of sub-4 milers. It was now known to not be impossible so people believed they could do it. If you don’t believe you can do it, you can’t do it.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.