Which Socks Do You Use?

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Which Socks Do You Use?

This topic contains 18 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Sandra 10 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Sandra

Hello,
    I use synthetic, has anyone tried SmartWool running socks? Any opinions? Are they thin? I've read some amazing things about Smartwool on (Ryan: spam link removed, post remains to keep topic there seems to be some interest in), besides, it's 100% natural: wool and wax.

GTF

I have been happy for over a decade with the synthetics I use (WrightSock Double-Layer) and so have not needed to ever try anything else.  It should be noted that the wool industry itself is not exactly clean, so it might warrant investigating the source a particular company utilizes for its wool.

r-at-work

I also use Wright socks, double layer 'running' for long runs and I also have some 'mesh' for shorter runs and some very old Thorlos 'running' for short runs…the Thorlos were suggested first and while they worked fine for runs under ten miles, I did have a few blisters with them when I took them on longer runs, did some research and ended up with the Wright socks… the mesh Wright socks were a gift and I've never used them for longer runs… seems silly to mess with success…
    -Rita

Run

I run in the Wigwam Ultimax Ironman Triathalon socks because they are comfortable and they last a REALLY long time.  I have been running in the same few pairs for about five years and they have maintained their elasticity.

william

I train in Smartwool in the winter months. I would not suggest using them in warm weather though. They are well cushioned, thin, and more breathable then you would expect.

Ironman Ultimax are great. Nike makes some great socks, although expensive.

As to the “cleanliness of the wool industry”…….I cannot speak.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I'm a cheapskate. I just get whatever Coolmax (or other similar material) socks I can find for the lowest price.

WI MTP

No Ryan – I am cheapskate – I use a thin pair of cotton athetic socks – Remember when your Moma bought them in packs of 6 or 12 – thats me.

No problems with blisters or bunch'n up – I really don't need coushion.  I've run up to 50 miles without probelms.

But I am Mr Low Tech.

Ryan
    Keymaster

You've got me. I have worn cotton socks when in a pinch but I almost invariably develop blisters on my toes so I stick with slightly higher tech socks. I guess you're just tougher than me. 🙂 Likewise, though, I don't care about cushioning or anything else like that. I get my cushioning from my shoes.

Anne

I wear WrightSock double layer almost all the time. I've got SmartWool & like those but not as much as WS.

I've also worn Thorlo, the thinner of the two styles. Those have worked well but showed wear & tear sooner then either of the above. 

Kevin

Hello!
    I'm new to this forum and I hope I found a place where I can get my needed fix of running gab. I run and train as much as my life will allow and I can't find enough people to talk to and share info.
    As for socks, the favorites in my sock drawer are black Feetures. After winning in my age group (55-59) in a 5k I won a gift certificte at a local running shop and used it to get some socks. I wanted black ones and that's why I got the Feetures. It turned out that not only do they look good but they are also very comfortable. 

Ryan
    Keymaster

I'm new to this forum and I hope I found a place where I can get my needed fix of running gab. I run and train as much as my life will allow and I can't find enough people to talk to and share info.

Kevin,

Welcome to Hillrunner.com. It sounds like you should fit right in around here, for better or worse. 😉

I've never heard of these socks you reference. Out of curiosity, what's the “hook” with those socks? What do you think makes them worth choosing over the others? Not that I'm going to stop being a cheapskate but I'm always up for a learning experience.

msubobcats

I have 1 pair of Thorlos, nice sock.
    Another pair of Wrightsock double layer. I like those.
    And recently bought the 6 pair for inexpensive, gold something, from Wal-Mart. Those are a very nice sock.
    So some high tech and low-tech.

Anne

MSU, are  you in MT?

Anne

Never mind, I see in your profile your in Ca.

Both my parents are MSU alumni, I'm married to a UM graduate but he's a decent enough fella just the same.

Welcome!

Kevin

Ryan,
    I got the socks because I wanted black running sock. But now that I've worn them I do like them. They've got a nice mesh band around the sock so they breathe and they are super comfortable. They are pricey so they were a special treat after I won a gift certificate for winning my age group in a 5k.

SBSpartan

I'm a cheapskate. I just get whatever Coolmax (or other similar material) socks I can find for the lowest price.

I am with you.  I buy the cheapest sock that I can buy.  Well, as long as it is also thin.  I hate thick socks.

sueruns

I am with you.  I buy the cheapest sock that I can buy.  Well, as long as it is also thin.  I hate thick socks.

me too.  unfornuately if you like thin socks, keep your toenails trim.  Holes are okay, but when your big toe sticks all the way out– :'(.  Well, maybe not, I'll still choose that pair over some deemed “too thick”

SBSpartan

me too.  unfornuately if you like thin socks, keep your toenails trim.  Holes are okay, but when your big toe sticks all the way out– :'(.   Well, maybe not, I'll still choose that pair over some deemed “too thick”

It only takes one toenail that is a bit too long to jam into another toe and draw blood before you get pretty anal about trimming.  😉

sueruns

me too.  unfornuately if you like thin socks, keep your toenails trim.  Holes are okay, but when your big toe sticks all the way out– :'(.   Well, maybe not, I'll still choose that pair over some deemed “too thick”

It only takes one toenail that is a bit too long to jam into another toe and draw blood before you get pretty anal about trimming.   😉

some of us are verrrrrrrrry slow learners.  I won't even talk about stubborness and my refusal to use body glide (the skin will toughen up!!)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.