who is registered for a fall marathon?

Welcome! Forums Running Forum who is registered for a fall marathon?

This topic contains 24 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  sueruns 11 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

sueruns

looks like they are filling up fast.

Ryan, did you bite the bullet and register for LFM???

Ryan
    Keymaster

I didn't bite the bullet yet. I'm still a free agent for the fall. Still debating whether I want to do a marathon and, if so, how low key I feel like going. I think the mega thons are out, just a question of whether I would want to do a Lakefront or Philly or if I'd want to stay even more low key and do something like Fox Cities or Whistlestop. That is, if I want to do a marathon at all.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who plans on being in New York. I may have a proposal for anyone who is planning that trip.

Whislestop is a good one.
    There is a group of us that go up every year, rent a cabin at the start for two nights and party.
    It is a blast 😀

Hey! I remembered my log in

LLL

Zeke

I was thinking about NYC and was hoping to run the 1:23 qualifying time last Saturday.  I ended up running a qualifying time, but then I realized the window closed on May 1st.  Thought about Whistlestop too, but then decided to run TCM.  It's been 6 years since the last time I ran it.

rhobbs31

I have not decided – and i have no family support at the moment to train for another marathon – long runs on hot summer Sundays don't sound that appealing at the moment – but when i think of the event – the crisp cool air, the clear endless skies, the smell of drying leaves, the low sun and long shadows, hard to not be a part of one – Ridge to Bridge maybe? 

Peter

Twin Cities for me. Maybe Zeke will pace me… 😀

sueruns

Ryan-
    Fox Cities will be run backwards this year.  In my own mind, I think this would make the course faster.  But I'm not a very good person to get road opinions from.  I've told people that Paavo is hillier driving that running.  🙁

r-at-work

thought about TCM (picked up a guaranteed form at the Boston Expo)… but my PF is still not happy… so now I'm thinking of a smaller one, like Atlantic City (drive up with a friend) or OBX (drive down with my husband)… actually listening to advise and not planning or entering till I get the PF under control…
    -Rita

sueruns

Twin Cities for me. Maybe Zeke will pace me… 😀

;D can I play???  I'll run Lakefront if Ryan paces me  8)

kevrunner

Hi, signed up for the Marine Corps Marathon, ran it last year, going to give one more shot at a sub 3 there, missed by 3 1/2 minutes last year, if not, I think it will be my last attempt, unless the weather is the culprit, not my training.  This will be my 5th 'thon, and I have learned a little bit more each time, and really appreciate the advice I get from you guys, although I rarely posts, I really enjoy this website, it is by far the best I have encountered on the web for true running tips and guidance.    Thanks, Kevin

Anne

No fulls for me, I'm looking around at 1/2 marathons.

blackdog

I wasn't going to do one this year…thought I would wait until next year and a new age group. LOL
    But I was inspired by Deena finishing Boston.

I had planned on doing Twin Cities 10 miler, but had a change of heart and signed up for the full.
    I haven't done it since 1990!

It's the Master's National Championships.

Maybe Zeke can pace a few of us!

Karen

Zeke

Hmmm, it sounds like I could make some money doing this pacing gig.  Gotta get through Grandma's first.

Sue are you running Grandma's?  If so I'm curious to hear what you're shooting for.  Nice job at Green Bay (if I have the right Sue).

MarkRunner

Not yet.  I am looking at Twin Cities or Fox Cities.  Does anyone have an estimate of when the Twin Cities fills up?  I have started on Pete Pfitzinger 17 week marathon plan (70 miles max) and I am planning on added a few additional base weeks.  I haven't run a marathon in 10 years, but I am looking forward to the challenge.  Has anyone used Pete's plan and have any thoughts about it?  I have increased the miles a little per week as I usually run 7 days a week rather than taking a day off, but otherwise I am meeting all of the workouts.  Also, I have struggled with the medium long run mid-week as 14 mile on Wednesdays are tough to fit in.  The link is below that outlines the plan.  Thanks.

http://runningtimes.com/rt/articles/?id=4432&page=5&c=83 

Mark

Peter

Mark – I just got online this morning, and the registration for TCM is closed  :'( . The rule of thumb told me two weeks from the May 3 registration opening was when it'd close, and it appears to have been about 18 days. I registered on 5/6 when my brother called me and said over 3,000 had registered for it in the first day and 1/2   😮

Depending on where you want to run in the midwest, there's always Lakefront (same day – Oct 7), Whistlestop (6 days later), Fox Cities (Sept 30), Detroit (Oct 21) and I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting. Good luck finding one and training w/ Pfitz!

Peter

GTF

Mark – I just got online this morning, and the registration for TCM is closed  :'( . The rule of thumb told me two weeks from the May 3 registration opening was when it'd close, and it appears to have been about 18 days. I registered on 5/6 when my brother called me and said over 3,000 had registered for it in the first day and 1/2  😮

Ridiculous.

Zeke

Has anyone used Pete's plan and have any thoughts about it?…  Also, I have struggled with the medium long run mid-week as 14 mile on Wednesdays are tough to fit in. 

Mark,  I've had success with Pfitz.  The mid-week 14-15 milers are tough to get in, but I think they are invaluable.  When you can crank out a 2 hour run in the middle of the week without even thinking about it, you'll know you're getting fit. 

I'm training for Grandma's and just did a 14 miler this morning.  It's tough to get up at 4:15 to run it before work, but you get used to it…makes you tough.

rhobbs31

I have used Pfitz-18-55 three times.  I BQ'd and PR'd twice – the third was run with an injury.  I have also done the Higdon Advanced II once.  Pfitz spreads effort out across the week better than Higdon does and has a very rational and logical argument for the design of his program – which appears to be based very much on the work of Dr Jack Daniels.  Pfitz is definitely tough mid-week – but putting in that effort has paid dividends for me – not just physically but mentally – getting motivated to head to the track for a 9 mile VO2Max workout with 1000 meter repeats on a Tuesday Night in March is tough to justify. 

During my races, getting to mile 17 required very little concentration (relatively) because with Pfitz 17 and beyond is a regularity in the program.

I encourage you to buy the book he wrote with Scott Douglas – Advanced Marathoning – it will make much of the program easier to swallow – because he explains why you have to do certain workouts, and how they are going to help on race day.

MarkRunner

Fox Cities it is.  I was leaning toward FCM as I am originally from the area and I will run about a block from the house that I grew up in.  I also have a place to stay and know the area.  I will consider Lakefront, but I am leaning toward the Fox Cities. 

I am glad to hear about the good results from Pfitz.  A friend gave me the book last year when I was considering running the marathon and I liked it.  I was planning on picking it up, but I just haven't made the purchase yet.  I will keep working on the 14-15 mile runs midweek. 

Mark

Peter

Mark – I just got online this morning, and the registration for TCM is closed  :'( . The rule of thumb told me two weeks from the May 3 registration opening was when it'd close, and it appears to have been about 18 days. I registered on 5/6 when my brother called me and said over 3,000 had registered for it in the first day and 1/2   😮

Ridiculous.

Not sure what your 'ridiculous' statement was intended towards – that the race filled up as fast as it did? It was 15 days for the 10,500 people last year. Not any more ridiculous than the 40,000 people signed up for Chicago nearly 6 months before the race.

Unfortunately, I've heard that TCM's two wave start is utter chaos, so I'll be looking forward to starting in the 1st wave – with 2,000 others, good grief…

Zeke

Unfortunately, I've heard that TCM's two wave start is utter chaos.

I've never heard that.  Is it chaos for wave 1 or wave 2?  Or is it the lining up that's chaos?

Anne

I'm a pfan of the Pfitz program & have used it for my last 6 marathons. I did the 18/55 for all except Columbus when I followed the 18/70 schedule, set a PR & my second BQ with that one.

Good luck!

Chris

No marathons here.  My goal for the summer is to finish a 5K.  I'm not sure how much longer I can keep from running so we'll just keep it at that for now. 

I did the 18/70 Pfitz last year and thought it was awesome.  Easily the best shape of my life and worse shape of my life at the same time.  Funny how that works. 

GTF

Not sure what your 'ridiculous' statement was intended towards – that the race filled up as fast as it did? It was 15 days for the 10,500 people last year. Not any more ridiculous than the 40,000 people signed up for Chicago nearly 6 months before the race.

Of course!

Ryan
    Keymaster

Well, I guess TCM is out. I just found out today that a cousin is running Lakefront as her first so that's an interesting thought. Either that or Fox Cities most likely for me if I do a fall one.

Sue, thanks for the thoughts on Fox Cities. Interesting take on it. I've heard it was already fast. If it's even faster, that could be nice. As for Lakefront, I'd be honored to pace such an impressive runner but, if I'm not shooting for a PR, I'll probably be on the sidelines cheering for that impressive runner when possible as I offer cheers and support to my rookie cousin.

GTF, I agree. How quickly these races fill up is insane.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.