Wisconsin tops NCAA men’s poll heading into Indoor Championships

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Wisconsin tops NCAA men’s poll heading into Indoor Championships

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Ryan 11 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

Wisconsin takes over top spot in USTFCCCA Division I men's poll

With the moment of truth just days away, Florida State's hold on the top spot in the Division I men's indoor track and field poll ended Tuesday when Wisconsin leapfrogged the Seminoles into the No. 1 spot.

On the eve of the NCAA Division I Men's and Women's Indoor Track and Field Championships., Big Ten Conference champion Wisconsin is ranked first in the final indoor poll released by the U.S. Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association.

Atlantic Coast Conference champion Florida State, the 2006 NCAA men's outdoor track and field champion, is ranked second for the first time this indoor season.

Wisconsin's case for No. 1 was bolstered when declarations for the NCAA Championships came out Monday night – and distance star Chris Solinsky entered both the 3,000 and 5,000 meters.

This week's top 10 consists of Wisconsin, Florida State, Texas, Auburn, Baylor, Washington, Tennessee, Stanford, Oregon and LSU.

The second 10 consists of Clemson, Louisville, Florida, Oklahoma, Kansas, Northern Iowa, Michigan, Idaho, Arkansas and UTEP.

Thirty-five coaches, including one representative from each Division I conference, vote in the weekly USTFCCCA Division I indoor poll.

Solinsky will defend his NCAA indoor title in the 3,000 on Saturday in Fayetteville, Ark. On Friday night, he will be the top-seeded entrant in the 5,000. He is also scheduled to compete in Friday night's distance medley relay.

Wisconsin is also expecting big points from sprinter Demi Omole, the Big Ten Conference champion and second-seeded entrant in the 60-meter dash.

Florida State has a deep, experienced team led by Walter Dix and Ricardo Chambers. Dix is the defending NCAA indoor champion in the 200 meters. Florida State and Wisconsin should go head-to-head for crucial points in the 60-meter dash.

Wisconsin has one of the favorites in Omole, and Florida State has three entrants – Dix, Greg Bolden and Cedric Nabe.

Texas moved up one spot in this week's poll to third, passing Auburn. The Longhorns have three athletes who enter the NCAA Championships with the best marks in their events – Leonel Manzano (mile), Andra Manson (high jump) and Donovan Kilmartin (heptathlon). Kilmartin is the defending champion.

USTFCCCA Division I Men's Indoor Rankings
    March 6, 2007

1. Wisconsin
    2. Florida State
    3. Texas
    4. Auburn
    5. Baylor
    6. Washington
    7. Tennessee
    8. Stanford
    9. Oregon
    10. LSU
    11. Clemson
    12. Louisville
    13. Florida
    14. Oklahoma
    15. Kansas
    16. Northern Iowa
    17. Michigan
    18. Idaho
    19. Arkansas
    20. UTEP

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.