WOW Scorching 58:23 World Half Marathon record by Tadese in Lisbon!

Welcome! Forums Running Forum WOW Scorching 58:23 World Half Marathon record by Tadese in Lisbon!

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  ed 8 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Andrew A.

ed
    Participant

Even though the rabbits were out of it at the 9K point – he still had the benefit of the rabbits during the all important need to controll yourself at the start. 

Still the time suggests fantastic conditioning and a great ability to run.

Ryan
    Keymaster

As much as I'm not a fan of non-competitive record pursuits, wow, that's an astounding performance.

Andrew A.

That is the thing, though — the field only had rabbits through 9K, not rabbits towing them through 15K-20K like so many half-marathon record attempts.  Tadese was on his own for most of the race.

Andrew A.

Even though the rabbits were out of it at the 9K point – he still had the benefit of the rabbits during the all important need to controll yourself at the start.

Perhaps, though I do doubt that someone of Tadese's level of accomplishment has that need.  Guys like Gebreselassie and Tadese benefit from having rabbits there to keep the pace honest early on, so that the field does not dawdle while they push the pace alone, than to make sure the pace does not get out of control.

Andrew A.

Better video:
    [html][/html]

Andrew A.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I'm also hesitant to believe that he benefited from pacemakers keeping him in check early on. That tends to not be a problem for the elites, especially ones with as much international experience as him. He's been through this many times before, he knows the adrenaline rush of a major event, he knows how people run in this races, he knows how to keep himself in check. For a guy like him, I've always considered the main benefit of pacers to be pulling you through those mid to late stages of the race, where the running is getting difficult and you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. Even for the best, it's tough to run through that kind of fatigue when you know you still have 5K or more to go. He didn't have the pacers at that time. He got through that all on his own.

Andrew, great video. I've always liked Tadese for how efficient he looked. Also, interesting link, both for what was said about Tadese and what was said about Geb. It will be interesting to see if Tadese can keep it going for another month. If he can, it could be a clash of titans in London. As for Geb, I've noticed a lot of what the author was talking about. I have the utmost respect for Geb after all he accomplished both in head to head competition and in time trial type efforts in the 90s and early 2000s. However, in recent years, is there any way to deny that he has seemed to be focusing on time trial efforts to the exclusion of races? Also, as the authors mentioned, how about just saying he had a bad day? I've always felt that it's important to analyze your bad days and figure out why they happened so you can avoid them in the future. However, over the years, I've learned that it's best to at least sometimes keep that analysis to yourself and just publicly say “it wasn't my day” or “I made some mistakes along the way”. Always doing that analysis in public can look like searching for excuses and even not being willing to accept responsibility for not being at your best.

Andrew A.

I agree, the commentary on Gebrselassie was compelling indeed.  I have noticed something similar with Kara Goucher.

ed
    Participant

And to think my personal goal is 1:14:59  :-[  (just an arbitrary number.)  He would be more than a handfull of miles ahead of me.  ::)

That is “ludicrous speed” any quicker and he might go to “plaid.”

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.