XC has started

Welcome! Forums Running Forum XC has started

This topic contains 17 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  r-at-work 9 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

r-at-work

This morning my younger son ran his time trial for his senior XC season. He needed to make top 7 and ended up in seventh with horrible blisters. I told him to wear sox, but what do I know… the grass was really wet, they had some mud but mainly a gentle rolling course. You could tell the new kids because they came down the hills 'carefully'… one of the lead boys fell on the first hill (luckily grassy as the one later in the course was gravel), rolled once and came up in full stride… very inspiring…

When the coach gave instructions at the start he made a comment that he wanted to see the guys cheer for the girls and vice-versa… he wants TEAM spirit…they all SCREAMED, it was cool…when they were all finished, the girls did a 'group hug' which was followed by the boys not getting outdone and they had a group hug too…

no time outs, no substitutions, no bench… a real sport…
    -Rita

Andrew A.

Excellent.  If not socks, at least some sort of lubricant.  Bad blisters just make the runs for the following week or two worse than they need to be.

Next Saturday is CU's time trial, which is free and open for anyone to run.  When I am in decent enough shape I like to go out there and see how many college kids I can still pick off — generally, several other area colleges come to run it, too.  I was fairly close to some lollygagging CU runners last year, though that is an extreme rarity.

Run

He needed to make top 7 and ended up in seventh with horrible blisters.
    -Rita

Awesome.  7th man is usually the hungriest man on the crew.  If he can move up a few spots, he scores for the team, if he slacks off, some JV guy will be glad to move up.  Great motivation to really work!  Don't worry too much about the blisters, with the heat and humidity at this time of year my toes are a mess, but some vaseline goes a long way.  Ahh, I l ove XC season!!

r-at-work

Awesome.  7th man is usually the hungriest man on the crew.  If he can move up a few spots, he scores for the team, if he slacks off, some JV guy will be glad to move up.  Great motivation to really work!  Don't worry too much about the blisters, with the heat and humidity at this time of year my toes are a mess, but some vaseline goes a long way.  Ahh, I love XC season!!

yep, he's hungry, already told me he needs to go to salads for his school lunches as he needs to drop some weight… he's spent the summer at his dad's house and feel he has been eating 'wrong'… of course I'll put grilled chicken on his salads… I told him to wear his flip-flops this weekend and then slap huge pieces of moleskin on the blisters, no problem… he actually has some 'trail socks' (dark grey, wicking socks) that should work fine if he would remember to kep them in his bag…oh well…

what's kind of funny is that he feels HIS job on the team is to keep the front guys motivated by telling them how good they are… his school got moved into a new 'division' (of smaller schools) and the coach thinks they might have a chance at winning districts so there is a lot of pumped up talk right now.

Ryan
    Keymaster

That's great that he got that last spot to make the team. I've been on both sides of the bubble at different points and there's nothing like the feeling of just making it in when you know you had to put it all together to get it done.

I'm actually looking forward this weekend to some cross-country running of my own. I get to go back to my old school and run the alumni meet. I can't wait to lace up the spikes. There's nothing like cross-country to fire up those competitive juices.

cesar
    Participant

Ryan, did you find your spikes already? ;D

Ryan
    Keymaster

Yes, I'm actually prepared this time.

ed
    Participant

My daughter has joined her middle school CC team.  They had a little fun run last week ending at the principle's house for ice cream.  My daughter had set a goal half through the run to beat at least one boy (her words).  She said as they got close to the line she ran harder and harder and did beat at least the one boy!

She was pretty proud of that I told her I was proud of her.  I cannot wait to continue working with her and her coach to build her skills and self image as a runner!

Andrew A.

Excellent!  8)

r-at-work

…  My daughter had set a goal half through the run to beat at least one boy (her words).  She said as they got close to the line she ran harder and harder and did beat at least the one boy!

the HS coach that my older son ran for had a rule that if any guy got beat by a girl he had to buy her lunch… then one year they had a female phenom (who went to state as an individual which is difficult in VA) and she had lunch 'dates' lined up almost her whole HS career…

ed
    Participant

That is a great story story – Rita.  I hope I can help my daughter love the sport – there are days that she doesn't feel like running and I do not force her.  I talk about the importance of consistency etc . . . – she'll get it eventually.  I know that my example isn't as good as it should be but that is a good motivator to become an every day runner.

Wilson

Both my sons are running cross country this fall. The older one is a freshman who has not liked running all that much and he's always lacked self confidence. He did a complete turn-around at the first meet, and ran just over 20 min for 5K and has been 11th – 12th for the team. His buddy is fighting for a top 7 spot as a freshman, and that's been the kicker.

The younger one ran 2.5K for 10 to 14 year olds last weekend and was narrowly nipped for 3rd overall after putting on a late charge, but he won the 11-12 division. I'm coaching his middle school team this year.

ed
    Participant

That is really cool – I was thinking about offering some coaching assistance for my daughter's team.  They do not have an actual coach – just a couple of teachers that are recreational runners.

However, I want to give her some space – she is a pre-teen and all.  ::)

Mark

My son is running XC again this year (4th year on the varsity team).

I'm proud of the effort he has had to put out to stay in the top seven.

He is struggling this year to stay motivated. Four different coaches in four years has been hard on the whole team.

Tonight is their third meet, it is going to be hot 100 +. Hope he hydrated properly.

Andrew A.

Has he read Once a Runner?

ed
    Participant

Good hydration starts the day before a race or event.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I'd even argue that good hydration starts in the days and even weeks before a race.

r-at-work

Both my sons are running cross country this fall. The older one is a freshman who has not liked running all that much and he's always lacked self confidence. He did a complete turn-around at the first meet, and ran just over 20 min for 5K and has been 11th – 12th for the team. His buddy is fighting for a top 7 spot as a freshman, and that's been the kicker.

The younger one ran 2.5K for 10 to 14 year olds last weekend and was narrowly nipped for 3rd overall after putting on a late charge, but he won the 11-12 division. I'm coaching his middle school team this year.

last week my son had a bad day and ran 9th, yesterday he was 7th man and was much happier… what happened is that TWICE a guy from another team that he had passed, re-passed him then slowed down, it got him mad and he told me he 'dusted' them… guess that's what it takes, hopefully the lesson is learned… it was hot & humid and this week like last week his HS boys team won… this week they held 7 of the top 8 and 9 of the top 15 spots…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.