Yasso’s

Welcome! Forums Running Forum Yasso’s

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Zeke 14 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Zeke

Alright, I’ve never done these and my question is more about timing than it is about the actual workout. I have a friend who’s husband is doing Gma’s, which is 12.5 weeks away. He’s a 3:11 guy and she said he nearly killed himself running Yasso’s with the sub-3 group.

My questions:

1) Isn’t that too soon for speed workouts?

2) Isn’t that too quick for him?

I hate to criticize this guys training as I’ve never even met him. However, he used to be in charge of a very large running club here, so he was also influencing other runner. He still works with the health club, so he might still be influencing them.

He’s the same guy that said you could run a 16 miler one day and as long as you ran 4 more miles within 24 hours, it still “counted” as a 20 miler.

Ryan
    Keymaster
    Zeke wrote:
    Alright, I’ve never done these and my question is more about timing than it is about the actual workout. I have a friend who’s husband is doing Gma’s, which is 12.5 weeks away. He’s a 3:11 guy and she said he nearly killed himself running Yasso’s with the sub-3 group.

My questions:

1) Isn’t that too soon for speed workouts?

Last time around, I was hitting the track by that point in time. However, I believe it was a bit early. Next time around, I’ll still be on the hills at that point in time.

Zeke wrote:
    2) Isn’t that too quick for him?

Seems a bit quick. I like the idea of training with guys who are faster than you but they have to be reasonably close. If he was nearly killing himself 12.5 weeks out, I’d say that would be a bit much for me.

Zeke wrote:
    I hate to criticize this guys training as I’ve never even met him. However, he used to be in charge of a very large running club here, so he was also influencing other runner. He still works with the health club, so he might still be influencing them.

He’s the same guy that said you could run a 16 miler one day and as long as you ran 4 more miles within 24 hours, it still “counted” as a 20 miler.

It’s too bad that someone of influence would spout such nonsense. According to that logic, I’ve “counted” 50 milers. I don’t think so…

Woody

Slim and I met him at the Boston marathon expo when we all went there.

I asked him about placement and if they really work. He does them twice in his training . The first set right at the beginning to see where he is at. Then he does 10 X800, 3-4 weeks out instead of a 1/2 thon like many top runners will do. He mentioned that is about right 3 weeks out for some speed while still leaving yourself fresh for the race. He said the last 10 thons he ran were all within 1:00- 2:00 mins of his yasso workout. We have had this talk before , but for him they work.

ferris

Is it too soon for speed?

I dunno. I really wouldn’t consider Yasso’s as “Speed”…..actually, I’d rather not condsider Yasso’s at all. They may the biggest joke well, second biggest joke, in Marathon training.

I used to think Yasso’s were the biggest joke, but now that I hear this dude’s 16 plus 4 the next day = 20….we have a new number 1!

I did Yasso’s once and they were no where close to what I ran for my marathon, I ran a lot slower because I wasn’t trained properly for the distance of the race, but, according to the Yasso’s, I was fast.

Woody

3 weeks out from chicago last year I ran 10 x800 in 2:48 average with only 2:00 min rest instead of 2:48 rest and felt like I was holding back– Then ran 2:59:30 at the thon. This was because I was poorly trained aerobically! Somewhere on this site , we have a big thread on these. maybe it was on the old site. They don’t work for me! I like it for a workout though.

Zeke
    ferris wrote:
    I really wouldn’t consider Yasso’s as “Speed.

Yeah, but he was running them 10-15 seconds “too fast”. Wouldn’t that make them more of a “speed” workout?

Ryan
    Keymaster
    Woody wrote:
    Slim and I met him at the Boston marathon expo when we all went there.

I asked him about placement and if they really work. He does them twice in his training . The first set right at the beginning to see where he is at. Then he does 10 X800, 3-4 weeks out instead of a 1/2 thon like many top runners will do. He mentioned that is about right 3 weeks out for some speed while still leaving yourself fresh for the race. He said the last 10 thons he ran were all within 1:00- 2:00 mins of his yasso workout. We have had this talk before , but for him they work.

Interesting. It would seem, then, that RW did a great job of twisting the truth of what Yasso did. According to this article

Bart begins running his Yasso 800s a couple of months before his goal marathon. The first week he does four. On each subsequent week, he adds one more until he reaches 10. The last workout of Yasso 800s should be completed at least 10 days before your marathon, and 14 to 17 days would probably be better.

Either way, just because it works for one man who RW decided to make famous doesn’t mean it’s going to work for others. Sure, by the law of averages, it will work for a few other people. However, selling it as RW has is going overboard.

BTW Woody, the discussion was on the current forums. If you want a timeframe, double check the Ryan’s Thoughts section for the date of the “Why Yasso 800s Are Overrated” article.

ferris

Zeke, you’re right, I guess I didnt pay attention to that. If you do any workout “too fast” it essentially becomes a speed workout. I guess I was just trying to express my toughts of Yasso’s pretty much being overrated.

Zeke
    ferris wrote:
    I guess I was just trying to express my toughts of Yasso’s pretty much being overrated.

Yeah, I’ll agree with that. Technically, I shouldn’t have used Yasso in my original post, since a 3:10+ guy running 800s in 3:00 is not doing Yassos. He’s just doing 800 meter repeats.

pski

Woody, you never did the YASSO workout so you don’t count. 2 min recoveries are TOO SHORT 😉 No wonder why you fried, you burned it up on the track again 😛 PSKI

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.