Recent events at HillRunner.com

This article was originally posted by Ryan at the original HillRunner.com Blogs.

I’m sure most of you have noticed some of the recent events that have been going on at HillRunner.com. I just wanted to fill you all in with what has been going on.

For those of you who don’t want the long story, scroll down to the Bottom Line heading.

For those of you who don’t know how small operations like myself handle our websites, we don’t have computers ourselves that they run on. I basically buy server space from a company that then hosts the website. The host then takes care of keeping the hardware HillRunner.com is on up to date, running and connected to the Internet 24/7.

Several years ago, I outgrew the host I was on at that time and transferred to a new host. At the time, the host I transferred to was one of the best in the business. They had a great reputation for reliability and top of the line service. Unfortunately, about 2-3 years ago, they were bought out by a parent company that tends to buy hosting companies with great reputations, then cuts costs in order to boost profit margins. Of course, when costs are cut, the first thing to go is customer service. The second is the latest, fastest, most reliable hardware.

Ever since the buyout, things have been gradually degrading. In the past few weeks, I hit my breaking point. HillRunner.com was not staying up reliably. My emails at times were not going through, especially to Yahoo and Hotmail recipients. Generally, things were just not working well. So I started researching other hosts to move to.

Just over a week ago, I made the decision of what host I would transfer HillRunner.com to. They have a great reputation for keeping websites up and customer service. In addition, they have cutting edge hardware that allows faster load speeds for websites they host. They also offer "no downtime" transfers.

A week from this evening, I pulled the trigger and began the process of moving HillRunner.com to the new host. As you probably know by now, the move wasn’t complete until 4 days later. Also, unfortunately, it was not "no downtime". There was an error in server configuration and HillRunner.com was completely down for most of the day Friday. It turns out I didn’t know all the details of how the new host’s support system works. Now that I do, I know how to get urgent issues looked at in a more timely manner.

However, the transfer is done now. We’re on a new server that, through the first few days once up and running on it, has proven to be a fair bit faster and much more reliable.

Bottom Line

I’m sorry for any troubles you may have faced in the past few weeks. Fortunately, those should now be behind us. HillRunner.com is on much better hardware and has a better support staff on hand in case the hardware or any of the systems on it fail. In addition, we should see speeds improve.

If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *